Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brighton chat and photos: clubs, bars, recommendations and more

apparently I will be staying in the mercure on the seafront. its going to be full of grannies and kids on holiday isn't it?

Brighton has an Albert pub :D Out of station then 'under' the road. Top of Trafalgar St. Got John Peedo Peel mural, plus Bankys snogging coppers.

Brighton sucks. It's a grubby, windy town populated by a bunch of rahs and a bunch of angry white-flighters. It's overpriced and sickeningly self-satisfied.

Not that I have much of an opinion.

Yep. All that's why I left to live in E-fucking-7 :cool:

In 2007 Brighton hosted the World Beard and Moustache Championship. It was a mighty day.

It has a lovely Unitarian 'church'

844141_0d5c1258.jpg

In addition to a friendly 'Friends' meeting house

250px-Friends_Meeting_House,_Brighton_02.JPG

Reactions: han
It's a handy little annexe for Brixton, conveniently sited at the other end of the High Street. If the Rec is closed and the Lido is full it is the nearest alternative swimming facility.

Wrong on every count, good effort.

To be fair, it's a very expensive place for what it is. I lived there from 1990 to 2004, and moved to London because of how expensive it got. I found that pretty much everything bar rent was cheaper in South or East London, if you took 5 minutes to get to know an area. plus I got a 50% payrise for doing exactly the same job in a London company as I did in Brighton. One of the reasons why it got expensive was a huge influx of middle class Londoners who couldn't hack living in London around the turn of the millenium. It would be unfair to call 'em 'white flight'.

It also has a sort of bubble effect, which seems to result in people thinking it the equal to London. Which could be seen as 'up itself', or just hilariously incorrect.

Often known as "London on Sea" - I gather , - fine if you have money - but lots of (apparently) hidden social problems and a low wage economy.

I blame the railway for all this - "Brighton and back for 3/6d in 185x - let alone - "One the hour , every hour and in the hour! ! of the Southern Electric. (and Pullman car trains with kippers on the menu)

If you like Chinese food try Good Friends in Preston Street, its just a few streets along the seafront from the Mercure (thats the old Ramada Jarvis i believe) but ask for the Chinese menu as the bog standard one they give out is bog standard fare.

have to go there in a few weeks and know fuck all about the place.

where to avoid and where is nice?

will be for work so no sightseeing opportunities I am afraid.

It's great for a weekend, you must go to Gardner Street and Kensington Gardens. Lots of ''cool and funky'' bars everywhere, and down by the sea front too. That's where to wonder around and eat and window shop (if you like that kind of thing), there are good buskers there too like the upside down guitar player. The Laines are cool, on acid. I saw a dog on a skateboard too (I was not on acid), that was near Gardner Street. On a sunny day at the weekend the beach is lively and bars up and down it are blaring out reggae... it's cool, for England, y'know. I was there this weekend and it was great, I sat and watched volleyball and basketball on the beach with a Mojito and wondered around, went to Jeff Koons exhibition, went to some comedy at Komedia, ate loads of frozen yogurt, had loads of nice food. AND I went for a very long and beautiful swim all the way out to the buoy, as far as I was permitted; before getting run over by the jet skis. Go jet ski! The water was clear deep blue that day. Oh and I went on the waltzers at the end of the pier. Brighton is ace for a day or two. For any longer than a day, well, just relax there, it's a great place to just relax and people watch.

All sightseeing can be done in one afternoon. You can walk the whole town in about 30 minutes. Everything is cheaper than London. Lots of students. Noisy at night. The tourists are annoying. Go swimming everyday.

Anyone around this weekend should come along to Patchfest. It's usually quite good fun.
Tragic Roundabout are playing this year.

patchfest.jpg

Back
Top Bottom