Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best places to live around Brighton?

Its an un-scientific sample, but i spent a weekend in Eastbourne last November and really liked it. Wouldn't know how long it would take to get to Brighton though
Wow first time I've heard anyone under 75 (no idea if you are just a guess you are) recommending Eastbourne. That said property is very cheap and if you want to join the U3A it is very active there.
He closed unfortunately but favourite barbers price list was near the centre of town.
2 prices. Full head or back and sides.

Its a minimum 1 hour to Brighton on the bus. Dont rely on the trains, constantly failing/cancelled etc. Bus ride can be a hoot, if its full and an old bus on some of the hills I've seen cyclists overtake them as they huff and puff up the steeper sections.

Wow first time I've heard anyone under 75 (no idea if you are just a guess you are) recommending Eastbourne. That said property is very cheap and if you want to join the U3A it is very active there.
He closed unfortunately but favourite barbers price list was near the centre of town.

Its a minimum 1 hour to Brighton on the bus. Dont rely on the trains, constantly failing/cancelled etc. Bus ride can be a hoot, if its full and an old bus on some of the hills I've seen cyclists overtake them as they huff and puff up the steeper sections.

Both Eastbourne and Hastings are getting a bit of overflow from those priced out of London, same with most of that area tbh

We went to the Lammas festival a few times before covid and it was fun, areas a bit fucked in places and some residual old style grime and past it’s best bits but seemed to be getting revamped

I was surprised to like it as much as i did. We were a group of four fifty-something friends on a walking weekend - the accommodation we found was really cheap so we thought we'd go for it. Loads of good walks around there, and we found plenty of decent pubs in Eastbourne (the Pilot was my favourite). Some decent restaurants as well - there are clearly plenty of residents even older than us, but it was a fun three days.

I was surprised to like it as much as i did. We were a group of four fifty-something friends on a walking weekend - the accommodation we found was really cheap so we thought we'd go for it. Loads of good walks around there, and we found plenty of decent pubs in Eastbourne (the Pilot was my favourite). Some decent restaurants as well - there are clearly plenty of residents even older than us, but it was a fun three days.
Glad you enjoyed.
Not been to The Pilot, it is at the posh end of town, that might be why.

If your requirements are a quick walk to a beach, close to friends in Brighton and keeping good rail links to Gatwick, London and for the moment Redhill the best place would be... Brighton :D

But if you're dead set against it, and Hove, probably your best bet would Shoreham as it has a beach, railway station and the diving club.

Southwick is back from the harbour, so you'd need to head to Shoreham or Hove to find a beach (unless you count that patch of sand/shingle by the life boat station). But it is that bit closer to Brighton than Shoreham.

Worthing is a good place to live but is just far enough from Brighton for it to seem an effort to travel there, especially if one of the two roads are snarled up. Probably won't feel much closer to Brighton than Redhill.

Bognor is fucking miles away from Brighton, almost the other side of West Sussex, nearly to Chichester, though the housing is cheap and I always found the people who live there lovely when I worked around West Sussex.

If you head East to Rottingdean, Saltdean or Peacehaven it's a pain in the arse getting to a station to commute to Redhill (although that might encourage finding a new job quicker).

Don't move to Newhaven.

Eastbourne I don't know that well. I've been there a couple of times, but it never encouraged me to go back. Good walks to Beachy Head. It's a very long journey to Brighton. I like Hastings, but it's a long way from anywhere.

Steyning is a nice little village in the countryside, but doesn't meet any of your requirements.

Between Hove & Portslade is Aldrington. Still pricey, but not quite Hove pricey. It's a short walk from the west end of Hove beach, has a railway station and is just a short bus/cycle ride from Brighton. Have you thought about there?

I’ll have a look at Worthing. I know a lot of people are moving there, but I think it might be a bit far from Brighton for us, we’re kind of moving down that way for Brighton, if that makes sense.

Also I’m a member of Brighton diving club which keeps it boat in shoreham, and I’d like to be able to dive more easily. Worthing has a big dive club too, but they don’t keep their boat in Worthing, I think it’s in shoreham
Worthing is about 20 - 25 minutes (depending on if you catch the fast train) by train to Brighton, or 50 mins on the bus. Shoreham is midway between Worthing and Brighton.

I've been to Brighton a couple of times recently. Once for the wake of an old friend, and it was a lot of old school Brightonians, not quite hippies, not quite punks, and one to visit the Lego shop, and central Brighton felt more like Covent Garden. I know the past is a diffent country, but central Brighton's changed a lot, and Worthing reminds me more of how Brighton was, than Brighton now does.

But if you've got friends and that in Brighton....

We almost moved to Southwick when we were moving out of London - but we got cold feet and pulled out. In the end we moved to Lewes. Each time I go through Southwick I have the same thought - 'thank fuck we didn't move here'. Shoreham seems alright. If I could rewind the clock I'd have moved to Brighton rather than Lewes. Living in Lewes is nice, in particular I love being able to walk out of my house for a walk on the Downs and the fact that on my bike it only takes 5 minutes to hit quiet country lanes. But.... it is just a bit too posh and dull... I was never a big fan of Brighton but as I've got to know it I've come to like it a lot and we think one day we might try and move there.... Move to Brighton! Worthing worth looking at. Eastbourne is fine to visit for a day at the beach but fuck living there!

I’m here this weekend so was thinking about this question.
I’m staying at a friend’s in Hove. Today we went down to Worthing to get something so drove around a bit. The seafront was nice, cafes etc and I really liked it but the main shopping bit put me off. We didn’t go round the residential areas.

I definitely wouldn’t live there if my plan was to be near/spend quite a bit of time in Brighton. It took ages to get there and back so obviously longer on a bus.
I think the furthest west I’d ideally want to be is Portslade.
It reinforced that I’d definitely want to live in Hove given the choice. We’re just back from the sea, lovely pubs and restaurants, great house but terrible parking and really expensive.

Obviously the stony beach is shit.

Hate to be a stick in the mud but i'd advise you to be very mindful and careful about where you choose. Spend a week there if you possibly can. I moved to Hove from London four years ago and am now back in London. I lived just off of western road in the regencey bit called brunswick. Sadly it was and still is riddled with crack and heroin problems. County lines dealers are rife down there and pretty blatant and open when doing there trade. There are loads of hostels, drop in centres down there and it sadly it attracts people with addictions and other issues. The police seem to be non existant so the area is a free for all and not very nice to live in. County lines has impacted many coastal towns but once you're away from the central parts of those places it's hardly an issue at all. Worthing and Hastings has it issues as well in the main central parts.

A lot of the beggars and addicts were pushed away from the station and main drags to the beach and into kemptown and brunswick in hove. Portslade also has a problem with it. Dealers were openly serving up addicts on western road, morning noon and night. This of course has a knock on effect which affects the local community.

I would have a good loook at the crime maps for bn1, bn3 areas. As you move away a bit fom central Hove it's got less problems and is a nice place to live. So close to the beach, good amenities and several bus routes. Along from Hove you have Aldrington which is clean, quiet and peaceful. Shoreham is a bit further down, very popular with younger families. There are some beautiful bits down there and coastal living is superb and relaxing if you are away from the city centre. I aim to move back in the next five years as long as i can get the right area, I certainly know where not to go and settle.

All the best.

Last edited:
I’m here this weekend so was thinking about this question.
I’m staying at a friend’s in Hove. Today we went down to Worthing to get something so drove around a bit. The seafront was nice, cafes etc and I really liked it but the main shopping bit put me off. We didn’t go round the residential areas.

I definitely wouldn’t live there if my plan was to be near/spend quite a bit of time in Brighton. It took ages to get there and back so obviously longer on a bus.
I think the furthest west I’d ideally want to be is Portslade.
It reinforced that I’d definitely want to live in Hove given the choice. We’re just back from the sea, lovely pubs and restaurants, great house but terrible parking and really expensive.

Obviously the stony beach is shit.
I'm in Worthing at the moment (for a wedding) I have had a wander around , nice by the sea , had a lovely meal at The Crab Shack , and a few drinks at a decent real ale place , the Brookstead Alehouse. Seems quite a nice vibe around here.

Hate to be a stick in the mud but i'd advise you to be very mindful and careful about where you choose. Spend a week there if you possibly can. I moved to Hove from London four years ago and am now back in London. I lived just off of western road in the regencey bit called brunswick. Sadly it was and still is riddled with crack and heroin problems. County lines dealers are rife down there and pretty blatant and open when doing there trade. There are loads of hostels, drop in centres down there and it sadly it attracts people with addictions and other issues. The police seem to be non existant so the area is a free for all and not very nice to live in. County lines has impacted many coastal towns but once you're away from the central parts of those places it's hardly an issue at all. Worthing and Hastings has it issues as well in the main central parts.

A lot of the beggars and addicts were pushed away from the station and main drags to the beach and into kemptown and brunswick in hove. Portslade also has a problem with it. Dealers were openly serving up addicts on western road, morning noon and night. This of course has a knock on effect which affects the local community.

I would have a good loook at the crime maps for bn1, bn3 areas. As you move away a bit fom central Hove it's got less problems and is a nice place to live. So close to the beach, good amenities and several bus routes. Along from Hove you have Aldrington which is clean, quiet and peaceful. Shoreham is a bit further down, very popular with younger families. There are some beautiful bits down there and coastal living is superb and relaxing if you are away from the city centre. I aim to move back in the next five years as long as i can get the right area, I certainly know where not to go and settle.

All the best.
Shock horror, city centre has homeless people and people begging and buying drugs :rolleyes: They've already said they don't want to live in the city itself but it's hardly the hellhole you're making it out to be ffs.

Shock horror, city centre has homeless people and people begging and buying drugs :rolleyes: They've already said they don't want to live in the city itself but it's hardly the hellhole you're making it out to be ffs.
Parts of it are. I lived there for four miserable years. I also said there were nice parts to. The weren't just buying drugs they're banging up on our doorsteps. Shitting on our doorsteps and kicking the shit out of each other on a regular basis. Shrug it off as the norm for a city centre, sneer all you fucking like, defend it. Watching vulnerable people waste away. Seeing them take kickings off there dealers, rattling and shaking in doorways as they withdrew. That's my idea of fucking misery and a hellhole. It might be your fucking norm but it wasn't and isn't for the people that have to live with it every fucking hour of the day. I lived in Brixton for 22 years and thought i'd seen it all until i moved to Hove, York road off Western road. If you think an open drugs market, people injecting and wasting away in doorways isn't a hell hole then good for you. Roll your eyes all you fucking want.

I’ll have a look at Worthing. I know a lot of people are moving there, but I think it might be a bit far from Brighton for us, we’re kind of moving down that way for Brighton, if that makes sense.

Also I’m a member of Brighton diving club which keeps it boat in shoreham, and I’d like to be able to dive more easily. Worthing has a big dive club too, but they don’t keep their boat in Worthing, I think it’s in shoreham

I've just spotted this thread, surprised someone didn't tag me.

I wouldn't personally recommend Southwick, Shoreham is OK, but not a lot goes on there compared to Worthing.

Worthing has changed a lot in the 25+ years I've been here, it's certainly no longer 'God's waiting room', it's recently featured in various national magazines and newspapers as being a hot spot to move too. As people say, London is moving down to Brighton, Brighton is moving to Worthing. To show how it's changed, Labour took control of the borough council a couple of years ago, for the first time ever, coming from having no councilors on it about 5-6 years ago.

The trains are good to Brighton, it's a fairly small borough, but we have a total of five train stations, times vary as to which station you use, but it's about 30 minutes to Brighton, and then fairly fast onto Gatwick. The 700 Coastliner bus service runs every 15 minutes Mon-Fri daytimes & 20 minutes on Sun, journey travel time around 50 minutes, the N700 night bus runs Fri & Sat, with the last bus leaving Brighton at around 3.30 am Sat/Sun mornings. Probably about half those times to get to Shoreham.

There's plenty of good pubs & restaurants, independent cafes and shops, art galleries/artist studios, a growing live music scene, and a few clubs, a museum, two cinemas and two theatres, long & pleasant prom, you can walk or cycle on the coastal path to Brighton and certainly as far as Littlehampton in the other direction, and there's a lot of events put on, especially during the summer months, with many being free. Good hospital and schools too. BTW, the dive club's boat is actually moored in Littlehampton, about 15 minutes by train/20 minutes by car. Plus we're right on the edge of the South Downs National Park, in fact the very north of the borough is in it! It's one of the sunniest places in the UK, hence being known as 'Sunny Worthing'.

The Time for Worthing website is a fairly good resource to get an idea about the place, and the Worthing Sailing Club may be of interest. These are just some of the recent reviews in the national press - Worthing: Is this underrated seaside town the new Brighton?, Why you should move to Worthing in Sussex, and Everything you need to know about moving to Worthing, West Sussex.

There's some fun photos & comments from the Worthing urban meet-up back in 2018 from THIS PAGE.

The major drawback is the anti-social psychotic airborne scumbags, AKA seagulls, but you'll get those bastards anywhere on the coast.

ETA - this post is sponsored by Worthing Borough Council. :D

Last edited:
I've just spotted this thread, surprised someone didn't tag me.

I wouldn't personally recommend Southwick, Shoreham is OK, but not a lot goes on there compared to Worthing.

Worthing has changed a lot in the 25+ years I've been here, it's certainly no longer 'God's waiting room', it's recently featured in various national magazines and newspapers as being a hot spot to move too. As people say, London is moving down to Brighton, Brighton is moving to Worthing. To show how it's changed, Labour took control of the borough council a couple of years ago, for the first time ever, coming from having no councilors on it about 5-6 years ago.

The trains are good to Brighton, it's a fairly small borough, but we have a total of five train stations, times vary as to which station you use, but it's about 30 minutes to Brighton, and then fairly fast onto Gatwick. The 700 Coastliner bus service runs every 15 minutes Mon-Fri daytimes & 20 minutes on Sun, journey travel time around 50 minutes, the N700 night bus runs Fri & Sat, with the last bus leaving Brighton at around 3.30 am Sat/Sun mornings. Probably about half those times to get to Shoreham.

There's plenty of good pubs & restaurants, independent cafes and shops, art galleries/artist studios, a growing live music scene, and a few clubs, a museum, two cinemas and two theatres, long & pleasant prom, you can walk or cycle on the coastal path to Brighton and certainly as far as Littlehampton in the other direction, and there's a lot of events put on, especially during the summer months, with many being free. Good hospital and schools too. BTW, the dive club's boat is actually moored in Littlehampton, about 15 minutes by train/20 minutes by car. Plus we're right on the edge of the South Downs National Park, in fact the very north of the borough is in it! It's one of the sunniest places in the UK, hence being known as 'Sunny Worthing'.

The Time for Worthing website is a fairly good resource to get an idea about the place, and the Worthing Sailing Club may be of interest. These are just some of the recent reviews in the national press - Worthing: Is this underrated seaside town the new Brighton?, Why you should move to Worthing in Sussex, and Everything you need to know about moving to Worthing, West Sussex.

There's some fun photos & comments from the Worthing urban meet-up back in 2018 from THIS PAGE.

The major drawback is the anti-social psychotic airborne scumbags, AKA seagulls, but you'll get those bastards anywhere on the coast.

ETA - this post is sponsored by Worthing Borough Council. :D
We will go and have a look at Worthing but we think it will be too far from Brighton.

I thought the Worthing BSAC boat was in shoreham? The problem with littlehampton is the tides dictate when you can dive more than normal as there’s a sandbank you can’t get boats out of the harbour on certain tides.

We will go and have a look at Worthing but we think it will be too far from Brighton.

But, other places are shit, :D

I thought the Worthing BSAC boat was in shoreham?

According to their listing on the BSAC's website...

We also welcome existing divers from all agencies and have an active diving program from our wet moored Dive Boat based in Littlehampton. LINK

But, other places are shit, :D

According to their listing on the BSAC's website...
Other places maybe “shit” but they’re cheaper, and nearer to where we’re actually interested in living, we have no connections, or friends in Worthing, where as in shoreham and Brighton I have a pre-existing friend group and know both the area. Also my partner may still have to commute to redhill for work for a while and it’s just that extra bit longer.

Acrually thinking about it it is at littlehampton, but I think maybe someone on a course I was on said they were thinking about moving it.

If your requirements are a quick walk to a beach, close to friends in Brighton and keeping good rail links to Gatwick, London and for the moment Redhill the best place would be... Brighton :D

But if you're dead set against it, and Hove, probably your best bet would Shoreham as it has a beach, railway station and the diving club.

Southwick is back from the harbour, so you'd need to head to Shoreham or Hove to find a beach (unless you count that patch of sand/shingle by the life boat station). But it is that bit closer to Brighton than Shoreham.

Worthing is a good place to live but is just far enough from Brighton for it to seem an effort to travel there, especially if one of the two roads are snarled up. Probably won't feel much closer to Brighton than Redhill.

Bognor is fucking miles away from Brighton, almost the other side of West Sussex, nearly to Chichester, though the housing is cheap and I always found the people who live there lovely when I worked around West Sussex.

If you head East to Rottingdean, Saltdean or Peacehaven it's a pain in the arse getting to a station to commute to Redhill (although that might encourage finding a new job quicker).

Don't move to Newhaven.

Eastbourne I don't know that well. I've been there a couple of times, but it never encouraged me to go back. Good walks to Beachy Head. It's a very long journey to Brighton. I like Hastings, but it's a long way from anywhere.

Steyning is a nice little village in the countryside, but doesn't meet any of your requirements.

Between Hove & Portslade is Aldrington. Still pricey, but not quite Hove pricey. It's a short walk from the west end of Hove beach, has a railway station and is just a short bus/cycle ride from Brighton. Have you thought about there?
Not dead set against Brighton or hove, it’s just property is expensive and we want to upsize, not downsize 😂

We went east today so Newhaven, Seaford etc
I really liked Seaford. A friend lives there, it’s a lovely beach. Still a bit of a trek from Brighton though.

I’m not denying your experience sealion but it doesn’t really reflect the experience of at least 3 families I know who are happily bringing up their kids in Hove.

We went east today so Newhaven, Seaford etc
I really liked Seaford. A friend lives there, it’s a lovely beach. Still a bit of a trek from Brighton though.

I’m not denying your experience sealion but it doesn’t really reflect the experience of at least 3 families I know who are happily bringing up their kids in Hove.
We know we like hove, but we’d be looking for a 3/4 bed house with a driveway……. That is well out of our reach in hove

I’m not denying your experience @sealion but it doesn’t really reflect the experience of at least 3 families I know who are happily bringing up their kids in Hove.
I did say in my post to be mindful of where you choose. I also said that Hove has some great parts and that i'll be moving back at some point. Unfortunately there are some shit riddled with drug problems and not just one street.

Kemptown and Brunswick are particularly bad. Move away from Central Hove and it's not an issue.

So we went on a bit of an explore this weekend.

Worthing: we liked the beach front but otherwise it just felt like Croydon on sea.

Lancing: just seemed dull

Shoreham: we liked and is a firm favourite.

Southwick: we literally could find anything apart from industrialised port, a Green with a ratty pub and some very dated shops.

Portslade: the sea front is just industrialised, we didn’t make it up to portslade village which is apparently quite nice but also a long walk from the front, and part of us wanting to move there is to be right by the coast within walking distance.

Hove: we liked but felt it wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be, and we’ve always thought that when ever we’ve been. Although if aldrington is a bit cheap than hove we may give it a look.

Brighton: we were driving into Brighton, we know it well, and it just completely re-affirmed we want to be near it, not in it. Although someone has said that there’s a bit out right on the edge of kempton which is quieter and a bit cheaper

Back
Top Bottom