Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Time Out's best 50 London pubs

was just thinking of my own list, starting in north london, was going to say the VIctoria in Walthamstow - just searched and its shut down during covid no doubt, though looking on googlemaps it looks like that whole theatre bit is getting redeveloped

ELC-14211-72237-victoria-walthamstow.jpg

anyhow RIP The Victoria

was just thinking of my own list, starting in north london, was going to say the VIctoria in Walthamstow - just searched and its shut down during covid no doubt, though looking on googlemaps it looks like that whole theatre bit is getting redeveloped

ELC-14211-72237-victoria-walthamstow.jpg

anyhow RIP The Victoria
I liked that place. Very drunken and disorderly.

Yes, no decent Thai food round here. Too many pizza places and not enough Thai! Nearest decent one is Forest Hill or Crystal Palace.
No doubt long gone but my favourite ever Thai restaurant was in Brockley. In a back street near the cop shop, it was a converted greasy spoon called Nas and Nat's iirc. This was over 20 years ago though. I gather Brockley has gentrified since then.

No doubt long gone but my favourite ever Thai restaurant was in Brockley. In a back street near the cop shop, it was a converted greasy spoon called Nas and Nat's iirc. This was over 20 years ago though. I gather Brockley has gentrified since then.
There isn't even a cop shop in Brockley any more! None since I moved here in 2007.

I think there was a Thai cafe near Brockley station. And there was the legendary (to us) Thai which was rumoured to double up as a brothel and at which a friend of ours got offered a woman by the madame owner while paying the bill.

There isn't even a cop shop in Brockley any more! None since I moved here in 2007.

I think there was a Thai cafe near Brockley station. And there was the legendary (to us) Thai which was rumoured to double up as a brothel and at which a friend of ours got offered a woman by the madame owner while paying the bill.
Can't remember the name of the street but it was quite near the station. Best tom yum ever. I moved from Brockley in 2006. Think it was still there then.

I remember people talking about a Thai place in Brockley around that time. What bothers me is that I can't recall going there. What sticks in my mind is thinking that someone I knew only liked it because you could bring your own booze, and that it was inferior to the one around the corner from the Marquis of Granby at New Cross.

So either I went there and have completely forgotten it, or I allowed my rambling speculations about the motives of someone who liked it to influence me to the point where I actually came to a judgement about a place I'd never been.

Whichever it is, both places are gone now. And the person I knew died in 2010.

I remember people talking about a Thai place in Brockley around that time. What bothers me is that I can't recall going there. What sticks in my mind is thinking that someone I knew only liked it because you could bring your own booze, and that it was inferior to the one around the corner from the Marquis of Granby at New Cross.

So either I went there and have completely forgotten it, or I allowed my rambling speculations about the motives of someone who liked it to influence me to the point where I actually came to a judgement about a place I'd never been.

Whichever it is, both places are gone now. And the person I knew died in 2010.
It was byob yes. Will have been the same place.

There's a couple near me that I'd never heard of. Will have to remedy that.

The Sun on Bethnal Green road is excellent, nearest thing to a local I have.

William the Fourth in Leyton never seems to make it onto these lists. In the early years of the millennium it was, quite simply, the perfect pub.

It was spacious, with enough room for footie fans to watch people kick a ball back and forth on one screen, while the racing was on elsewhere, and people who had no interest in either weren't overwhelmed. It had a microbrewery on site. It had a quiz machine, and a pool table. It had newspapers. The menu had things like kangaroo and crocodile, and everything was cooked brilliantly, for standard pub meal prices (around £7 back then). What more could you ask of a pub?

It's too heartbreaking to go back. The wondrous chef and his exotic menu left long ago, the quiz machine has gone the way of others of its species, and the website doesn't say anything about the microbrewery, which one would expect if it were there. It might still deserve a place in the ranks. But it's no longer perfect.

William the Fourth in Leyton never seems to make it onto these lists. In the early years of the millennium it was, quite simply, the perfect pub.

It was spacious, with enough room for footie fans to watch people kick a ball back and forth on one screen, while the racing was on elsewhere, and people who had no interest in either weren't overwhelmed. It had a microbrewery on site. It had a quiz machine, and a pool table. It had newspapers. The menu had things like kangaroo and crocodile, and everything was cooked brilliantly, for standard pub meal prices (around £7 back then). What more could you ask of a pub?

It's too heartbreaking to go back. The wondrous chef and his exotic menu left long ago, the quiz machine has gone the way of others of its species, and the website doesn't say anything about the microbrewery, which one would expect if it were there. It might still deserve a place in the ranks. But it's no longer perfect.
It was my local for a number of years. Brodies was the brewery; sadly it all got sold a few years back and the prices went up and the choices/quality went down.

The closest thing locally now (and not a pub) is the Gravity Well in the arches beneath Midland Road Overground station.

I don't think I've ever heard of the top one on the list, which is weird, as it's local. I don't think of Nunhead as a place where there is actually anything to go to, for any reason. Perhaps I should try it.

Can't remember the name of the street but it was quite near the station. Best tom yum ever. I moved from Brockley in 2006. Think it was still there then.

I think it may have been Smiles Thai Cafe on Foxberry Road.

also nothing past zone... 3?
i might make a list of favourite pubs within Bromley borough, but it feels a bit pathetic :D
:oops:
Time Waste Favourite Bromley pubs, in order
Shortlands Tavern - Shortlands - really good multigeneration community pub, looks great too, massive beer garden
Goldsmiths Arms - Penge - end up here so must be okay
Jolly Woodman - Beckenham - proper ye'aulde pub, very small, no chance of a private conversation, but rustic vibes experience
The Railway Tavern - Bromley - antic pub, antic vibes
Imperial Arms - Chislehurst - good looking historic pub in a nice location, worth a day trip with a walk
Two Doves - Bromley Common - pretty building, windows etc, novelty , worth a day trip with a Hayes Common walk
Moon & Stars - Penge Spoons - well.

by coincidence i've got this little 3 pub crawl/walk planned for this spring. Faltering Fullback and Flask are both on that top 50 list
the first part of the walk is a on a greenway, ex train line, and then through hampstead heath - ive never been to either! - or any of these pubs

Finsbury Park station
=Faltering Fullback=
Parkland Walk
=The Boogaloo=
Cane Wood Hall
-through Hampstead Heath
=The Flask=
Hampstead Station

a44d65a1-0328-415e-9fbc-13eebc10d933.jpg

ETA: was thinking to include Spaniards Inn, as its an amazing old building, but it looks dry inside

Last edited:
by coincidence i've got this little 3 pub crawl/walk planned for this spring. Faltering Fullback and Flask are both on that top 50 list
the first part of the walk is a on a greenway, ex train line, and then through hampstead heath - ive never been to either! - or any of these pubs

Finsbury Park station
=Faltering Fullback=
Parkland Walk
=The Boogaloo=
Cane Wood Hall
-through Hampstead Heath
=The Flask=
Hampstead Station

View attachment 368983

ETA: was thinking to include Spaniards Inn, as its an amazing old building, but it looks dry inside

I love the flask, used to work across the road so went in a fair bit on Friday afternoons.

I’ve always wanted to go to the Spaniards but it’s a bit isolated so never made it.

Finsbury Park station
=Faltering Fullback=
Parkland Walk
=The Boogaloo=
Cane Wood Hall
-through Hampstead Heath
=The Flask=
Hampstead Station

View attachment 368983

Drank in both the last two. Shane MacGowan owned The Boogaloo and I chatted to Les Dennis in The Flask! :D

Back
Top Bottom