Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Time Out's best 50 London pubs

:oops:
Time Waste Favourite Bromley pubs, in order
Shortlands Tavern - Shortlands - really good multigeneration community pub, looks great too, massive beer garden
Goldsmiths Arms - Penge - end up here so must be okay
Jolly Woodman - Beckenham - proper ye'aulde pub, very small, no chance of a private conversation, but rustic vibes experience
The Railway Tavern - Bromley - antic pub, antic vibes
Imperial Arms - Chislehurst - good looking historic pub in a nice location, worth a day trip with a walk
Two Doves - Bromley Common - pretty building, windows etc, novelty , worth a day trip with a Hayes Common walk
Moon & Stars - Penge Spoons - well.
Top list. All good pubs with the possible exception of the Moon and Stars.

I like the Two Doves and it's walking distance from my house, but rarely go as The Greyhound in Keston is closer.

I can recommend the Real Ale Way in Hayes, with one in West Wickham too. Former shops selling a wide variety of ales and ciders all brewed in Kent. Reasonable prices and friendly atmosphere.

I grew up in Bromley and haven’t been to any of those. Though I suppose I didn’t really go pubs till I was 17 or 18 and had left Bromley before I turned 19

uncanny!! i independetly did a docklands crawl at the sametime as an urban crawl in feb. very very weird

Please come along to an urban walk sometime! Although I can be a bit acerbic and disagreeable on the internet, I am actually nice in person (albeit a bit socially awkward!)

Good list

Good list
2 of the top 3 in that list (1 & 3) are absolute wank. The Devonshire is the most overrated pub I’ve ever been to, their Guinness gets plaudits but there a cpl of weeks ago I didn’t even finish my pint.

The C&H at least has a bit of history but that’s it.

The other problem is that some of these places are victims of their own success... For example, I've stood outside drinking at the Lamb & Flag in Covent Garden and The Cow in Westbourne Grove a lot more times that I've been drinking inside. Pleasant though it is if you're with the right crowd in the summer, in practice I prefer to go to a quieter pub.

2 of the top 3 in that list (1 & 3) are absolute wank. The Devonshire is the most overrated pub I’ve ever been to, their Guinness gets plaudits but there a cpl of weeks ago I didn’t even finish my pint.

The C&H at least has a bit of history but that’s it.
How do you feel about Guinness from a widget can?

The other problem is that some of these places are victims of their own success... For example, I've stood outside drinking at the Lamb & Flag in Covent Garden and The Cow in Westbourne Grove a lot more times that I've been drinking inside. Pleasant though it is if you're with the right crowd in the summer, in practice I prefer to go to a quieter pub.
I used to like The Cow, we have mates who live close by so we’ve (were) going there for years but it became a victim of it’s success.

As an aside there was a place in Old Street, the Dragon Bar, which was probably the best pub in London I’ve ever been to, at least the funkiest place I’ve ever been to, but then there was an article in the Standard about it and lo and behold it became utter shite within weeks.

While SE London is well-represented I feel the Dog and Bell in Deptford is an omission. Much better than the Dartmouth Arms in Forest Hill IMVHO.

Yes! Went there this week, it looks amazing in it's Xmas decorations.... And I'm not one for decorations tbh. Brilliant pub
I haven't been for a few months but always enjoy it.

My OH goes quite regularly but isn't keen on the new owner, who he reckons is a hipster and has replaced the old sign with a picture of his own dog. :D :D

I haven't been for a few months but always enjoy it.

My OH goes quite regularly but isn't keen on the new owner, who he reckons is a hipster and has replaced the old sign with a picture of his own dog. :D :D
I hadn't clocked before it's an Irish pub... Is the new owner Irish? Any pub with red furnishing, wooden fittings and brass bits is a top notch pub. Dog and Bell has that in buckets.
Irish pubs in general remain faithful thank god

I hadn't clocked before it's an Irish pub... Is the new owner Irish? Any pub with red furnishing, wooden fittings and brass bits is a top notch pub. Dog and Bell has that in buckets.
Irish pubs in general remain faithful thank god
I've never seen it as an Irish pub and no idea about the new owner (or if indeed he is the owner, but reckon a mere pub manager wouldn't change the sign to one of his own dog :D ).

I'll ask my OH as it's a very old pub and very close indeed to where his mum lived until their house was bombed in WW2. It used to be called something else, a military/naval name IIRC. Hence him asking his late mum about the Dog and Bell and her not remembering it.

I've never seen it as an Irish pub and no idea about the new owner (or if indeed he is the owner, but reckon a mere pub manager wouldn't change the sign to one of his own dog :D ).

I'll ask my OH as it's a very old pub and very close indeed to where his mum lived until their house was bombed in WW2. It used to be called something else, a military/naval name IIRC. Hence him asking his late mum about the Dog and Bell and her not remembering it.
Went in the day time and strong Irish contingent, Irish drink mirrors, big Guinness promo and 7 types of Jameson at the bar, I hadn't noticed before but I think it's an aspect. That proper Irish pub on deptford high (swan?? ) street closed so could be refugees

Where's good in Clapham? Supposed to be meeting a friend for a catch up but not sure where might not be horrific...probably Clapham Junction area.

Good list
From the top 10 I've remembered being in:

7: The Palm tree. Popped in when I lived in Mile End; was a nice pub but not great enough to walk further to than nearer ones.
8: The Golden Heart. I was a regular in the early noughties and could be amazing tbf.
9: The Mayflower. Riverside views, who wouldn't?

Also rans:

21: The Lamb and Flag. Went there when new to London and knew nothing else.
29: Prince of Greenwich. Difficult to avoid. Especially as it's close to the river and sells food.
33: The Pembury Tavern. I lived in Clapton once. Walking from there to Hackney Central you can pass this.
38: Bradley's Spanish Bar. Actually my go to if I was in Central London and fancied a swifty. Not been in years.
47: Ye Old Cheshire Cheese. Difficult to pass this one without having a nosey inside. Haven't been often.
48: The Dublin Castle. Who hasn't?

Probably been to others I don't recall.

Recently I was talking to someone about "The Pelican" but I actually meant The Tucan in Soho Square.
Why isn't The Pride of Spitalfields on this list?

Went in the day time and strong Irish contingent, Irish drink mirrors, big Guinness promo and 7 types of Jameson at the bar, I hadn't noticed before but I think it's an aspect. That proper Irish pub on deptford high (swan?? ) street closed so could be refugees
According to OH, the landlord is Irish. Not sure about the owner. The latter comes in with his dog and swans about like he owns the pl........hang on, he probably does!

It was called the Royal Marine until 1950 apparently.

Glad to see the Blythe Hill Tavern at no 2, which is the most Irish pub I've been to outside Ireland, and absolutely great.

Been to about 20 of these. Delighted to see Tir na Nog there, Bradley's, The Dove and the Nags Head for character, variety and general awesomeness.

Yes! Went there this week, it looks amazing in it's Xmas decorations.... And I'm not one for decorations tbh. Brilliant pub

we had a south london drinks / sunday lunch at the woof and clang a year or so before covid, after a walk through the former royal dockyard.

i haven't quite got round to offering to inflict part 2 of the deptford history walk on people - maybe some time in 2024...

Where's good in Clapham? Supposed to be meeting a friend for a catch up but not sure where might not be horrific...probably Clapham Junction area.
it's all very Clapham round there unsurprisingly but The Northcote used to be OK for what it is. The Fox & Hounds is more of a walk but also more of a nice local. or you could walk up St Johns Hill and some options on the Wandsworth side of the bridge.

I was actually thinking the fox and hounds as I went in there to get a half pint once and to smell the delicious smell from their kitchen :oops: their food seems a bit different pricey though so would hope it's very good. Beer selection is limited to my mind.

Anyway Clapham has been rejected so I've got to go to Kingston now so will leave that for my visit partner to sort out!

I was actually thinking the fox and hounds as I went in there to get a half pint once and to smell the delicious smell from their kitchen :oops: their food seems a bit different pricey though so would hope it's very good. Beer selection is limited to my mind.

Anyway Clapham has been rejected so I've got to go to Kingston now so will leave that for my visit partner to sort out!
I wont mention the B word, but the Cats Back in Wandsworth is a cosy drinkers pub with an excellent pint ( Harveys ). Also mentioned somewhere else
Sambrooks in centre of Wandsworth also has excellent ales.
Talking of Wandsworth, I can't believe this place has been included at all, but No. 10. We went there for a works Christmas dinner a year or two back.
Without exaggeration, it was burnt to a cinder and inedible.

10. Tir Na NOg​

Back
Top Bottom