Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Time Out's best 50 London pubs

Ive bought myself this:
its works like this
you pay £25 for a beer mat which you can get stamped
when you go to one of their listed indie 50+ pubs when you spend more than £20 you get a tenner back, so its basically four pints for the price of two, near enough
i think you can only use the magic beer mat once per pub so it forces you to go to ten different pubs
if you visit ten you save £75 in total (£100 less the £25 it cost to buy the beer mat)

Here are the 50 pubs you can use it at - some interesting ones in there
...22 south/south east

includes this pub which i was planning on visiting anyhow

Last edited:
Good list
Hate to be picky but that’s The Standard and not Timeout.
Thread name change? Or split thread?

The Cross Keys (Spoons) in the City in there. I mean it's alright as far as Spoons go - the building itself is nice, like an old bank. But its hardly a 'top 50 London pub' - there's shag all atmosphere in there.

Ive bought myself this:
its works like this
you pay £25 for a beer mat which you can get stamped
when you go to one of their listed indie 50+ pubs when you spend more than £20 you get a tenner back, so its basically four pints for the price of two, near enough
i think you can only use the magic beer mat once per pub so it forces you to go to ten different pubs
if you visit ten you save £75 in total (£100 less the £25 it cost to buy the beer mat)

Here are the 50 pubs you can use it at - some interesting ones in there
...22 south/south east

So you've got to have 4 pints at each visit in order to get £10 back? It sounded like a good deal at first but I think I'd probably just end up drinking 2 more pints than I want to (and spending twice as long there) just to get the refund. I could only see this working for me if I was to have a beer and meal too, but I hardly ever want to do that.

Mind you the first pub on the list, the Dartmouth Arms, is just round the corner from me and with their prices I'd only need to have 3 pints.

So you've got to have 4 pints at each visit in order to get £10 back? It sounded like a good deal at first but I think I'd probably just end up drinking 2 more pints than I want to (and spending twice as long there) just to get the refund. I could only see this working for me if I was to have a beer and meal too, but I hardly ever want to do that.

Mind you the first pub on the list, the Dartmouth Arms, is just round the corner from me and with their prices I'd only need to have 3 pints.
i only go to the pub with a friend so its only two beers each...only downside i see is i'll be buying all the drinks :D

(food counts towards it also)

1702903365408.png
wondering if the crisis in pubs and the crisis in nurseries in England might have a common solution! (alt text London pub doubles as a community hub: three friends saved a greenwich pub from closure and it now doubles as a nursery and a language school)

No. 5 The Harp was the pub of choice for critical mass so fond memories.
No. 7 The Palm Tree - ive mentioned this before somewhere. A proper old boozer and a bit of a Marie Celeste in a desert of pubs.
No. 17 The Nags Head; brilliant grumpy landlord. Went there when we could not get in the nearby Grenadier. Strictly cash only unless
you spend more than £20 or something like that the rule was. To be experienced.

Sadly, no mentions of
The George in Borough if only it is historically important ( A National Trust pub which is unfortunately managed by Greene King ).
The Cats Back in Wandsworth is a charming little local pub and worthy of mention.
The Flying Horse on Oxford St is worthy of mention for good ale and an escape from Oxford St.

Im sounding like I know too many of the pubs on that list too well and more besides.

Btw…

Controversial perhaps but pubs are better before they hit such lists.

I used to visit to the Trinity Arms whenever in Brixton. Out of the way down back streets it was a hidden gem.

One day chatting with locals about it making a Timeout list and the response was “The landlord is happy but the percentage of assholes turning up has risen significantly”.

I replied that in fairness I was an asshole long before the article.

Btw…

I used to visit to the Trinity Arms whenever in Brixton. Out of the way down back streets it was a hidden gem.

One day chatting with locals about it making a Timeout list and the response was “The landlord is happy but the percentage of assholes turning up has risen significantly”.

I get that because they play up to their image by gentrifying the place or whatever.

Btw…

Quite often yes. I’d say that definitely applies to the Southampton Arms - I only live 5 mins walk from it and it used to be better in its early years before all the parties of CAMRA members started showing up. Don’t get me wrong it’s still a good pub but it’s just too small for its popularity now. It’s lucky there’s nowhere close for coaches to park!

One thing I do agree with the ES list is they dropped the Sam Smiths pubs now that they’re not cheap any more, which was always the main (or only) reason you’d go to one. And since they started putting up their stupid ‘no mobile phone’ signs which nobody takes any notice of, not even the bar staff!

Btw…

That place has come up on here before, went recently midweek and it was full of rahs. Probably says as much about Brixton as an area now though as it does about the place itself.

When I lived in East Dulwich a few years back, me and my housemates visited Skehans many a time, since all the pubs on Lordship Lane were (and still are) shit and expensive. It's a great pub with a healthy mixture of patrons, from Millwall geezers to hipster art students, everyone gets along well. Shout out to the brilliant, affable doorman called Pat.

The Blythe is also an excellent traditonal Irish pub. Con and his team really look after you. I always head there to watch Derry in the GAA.

Interesting how 2 pubs in Nunhead make up the top 10. The area has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to boozers, The Pyrotechnists Arms and the Man of Kent are also top notch pubs, with an Irish twist. Steer clear of The Old Nuns Heads though, Laine pubco expensive gastro shite.

Back
Top Bottom