Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really. So you actually envisage loads of people all pretending to be musicians and then pretending to go on pretend tours abroad with their fellow pretend musicians, all paying £227/year?
No of course not but that will still be an argument against it won't it? regardless of how many actually do it. Good luck with your attempt to get what you want by the way but I don't believe you have the slightest chance of achieving it.
In order to do so you will have to convince the UK Govt to convince the EU that musicians are a special group of worker who should have privileged access over all other groups of workers. You aren't convincing me so I can't imagine that anyone in Brussels is going to buy it either.

Just to confirm, all this has been made as hard for eu bands / organisations as UK ones? So less chance of seeing eg the Berlin philharmonic or Los fastidios or whoever in London I suppose

sort of - the issue is that for the eu band, they do it once and they can come to the uk and play in London Leeds Manchester and Newcastle.

for a uk band touring Europe - they have to do it per country.

sort of - the issue is that for the eu band, they do it once and they can come to the uk and play in London Leeds Manchester and Newcastle.

for a uk band touring Europe - they have to do it per country.
that's ok, boris johnson's working his hardest to ensure that a separate visa will be needed for scotland and perhaps wales too, while the six counties will doubtless be reintegrated into their southern neighbour

bring back pianos in pubs. the professionalisation of music has taken music away from working class people.
The lack of live music in pubs is more to do with the cheapness of recorded music and a gradual erosion of the power of the musicians Union over the last half century than the professionalisation of music - there was far, far more people making livings as musicians in the years of pianos in pubs.

No of course not but that will still be an argument against it won't it? regardless of how many actually do it. Good luck with your attempt to get what you want by the way but I don't believe you have the slightest chance of achieving it.
In order to do so you will have to convince the UK Govt to convince the EU that musicians are a special group of worker who should have privileged access over all other groups of workers. You aren't convincing me so I can't imagine that anyone in Brussels is going to buy it either.
Yes, you've made your opinion on the value and importance of arts and culture very clear indeed.

bring back pianos in pubs. the professionalisation of music has taken music away from working class people.
Do you think only 'professional' sounding bands play in pubs then?

The reality is that with pubs closing at a horrendous rate ore turning into upmarket gastro pubs, there's fewer places to play and for the ones that do want to attract a lively crowd, a DJ is way more cost effective (sadly).

52% isn't a "VERY LARGE PERCENTAGE" in anyone's book, come on MickiQ !
It clearly is a very large percentage. It’s a very tiny majority, but you don’t even need to be a majority to count as a large percentage. If 30% of the population want something, I’d still say that’s a large percentage that want it.

It clearly is a very large percentage. It’s a very tiny majority, but you don’t even need to be a majority to count as a large percentage. If 30% of the population want something, I’d still say that’s a large percentage that want it.
hmmm, I would agree with others that a large percentage would be 2/3 66%+

Snappy.

But what's your opinion as a Brexit fan? Are musicians fair game to be thrown under the bus as collateral damage for the supposedly wonderful gains of Brexit?
the more of you under the bus, the more work for my mate bosha and his mobile disco.

Snappy.

But what's your opinion as a Brexit fan? Are musicians fair game to be thrown under the bus as collateral damage for the supposedly wonderful gains of Brexit?
If you wanted to go and live and work in Germany then I can't see you should have priority over anyone else.

For touring though the current arrangements seem shit. I expect a deal allowing you to tour will come in before the covid emergency has finished.

Free movement for musicians is out of the question without free movement for everyone else. And indeed it should be why should musicians be a privileged group as opposed to brickies, plumbers, lawyers or bar staff. However free movement is a two way street and the British government and a very large percentage of the UK population wanted it ended.
Surely this is an example of how "free movement" is a propaganda term used for emotive purposes, rather than a piece of language used to help make things clearer? Like, is "travelling and performing throughout the EU for a period of less than 90 days without requiring a visa" freedom of movement? I reckon it's fair to say it is. And "the right to permanent residency in any EU member state with the same rights and entitlements as any regular citizen of that state" is also freedom of movement. But I'm not sure it makes sense to say "A very large percentage of the population wanted [the right to permanent residency and so on] ended, therefore [visa-free travel for a period of less than 90 days]" has to go.

Surely this is an example of how "free movement" is a propaganda term used for emotive purposes, rather than a piece of language used to help make things clearer? Like, is "travelling and performing throughout the EU for a period of less than 90 days without requiring a visa" freedom of movement? I reckon it's fair to say it is. And "the right to permanent residency in any EU member state with the same rights and entitlements as any regular citizen of that state" is also freedom of movement. But I'm not sure it makes sense to say "A very large percentage of the population wanted [the right to permanent residency and so on] ended, therefore [visa-free travel for a period of less than 90 days]" has to go.
This issue isn't about visa free travel (which with one or two minor modifications we still have) it's about the right to work anywhere in the EU without being treated any different from being a citizen of the country you're in. That's what FOM is about not the right to sit on a beach for a couple of weeks. FoM is a redline to the EU and there is a limit to how much they will compromise on it. Sadly ending it was a redline for the UK Govt and they weren't keen on compromising either so here we are and a lot of people are unhappy about being caught in the middle of it.
The thing with the musicians passport idea which the Govt has today rejected outright is that the UK would be saying to the EU. "Allow some of our workers to be special". There is no fundamental reason why the EU can't grant an exemption of course except why should it? Reprocity isn't worth anything since we almost certainly send way more bands and music to them than they do to us so they will want something else instead. We refused to give them what they wanted and we're back where we started.

I mean, obviously I'm not in charge of the EU negotiations, so wot I think doesn't have much relevance to anything really. I still think that if we're talking on the level of principles, it should hypothetically be possible to work out a deal where people would have the right to work elsewhere in the EU for a limited period of time, and I'm not sure that such a deal would in itself be betraying the democratic vote or whatever. Whether there's any chance of Johnson and co putting that into practice without completely fucking it up is another question of course.

I mean, obviously I'm not in charge of the EU negotiations, so wot I think doesn't have much relevance to anything really. I still think that if we're talking on the level of principles, it should hypothetically be possible to work out a deal where people would have the right to work elsewhere in the EU for a limited period of time, and I'm not sure that such a deal would in itself be betraying the democratic vote or whatever. Whether there's any chance of Johnson and co putting that into practice without completely fucking it up is another question of course.
Absolutely correct. We could have worked out a deal where FoM could be kept for British citizens without us remaining in the EU,. Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland have FoM rights, however FoM cuts both ways. In order for UK citizens to have FoM in the EU, we would have to accept their citizens have the same rights here. Taking Back Control (God I hate that phrase) was all about restoring UK control over immigration policy and the Conservatives made that a central plank of their manifesto.
UK beneficiaries of FoM (including musicians) have essentially been thrown under the bus in order to secure the votes of those people who get upset because they hear people speaking Polish in the supermarket queues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom