Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breakfast cereals et al

14ah6b4.jpg

My lunch. Porridge with banana, strawberry (hint of cinnamon too) and G&B cocoa.

The thing that I find incredible, not just with cereals, is the 'Low Fat' badge which usually adornes the packaging of foods and which indicate them as being healthier and good for weight loss etc..

At this stage of the game with the info' that's available anyone who doesn't understand that to be a load of tosh, and where the real problem lies, is baffling.

The thing that I find incredible, not just with cereals, is the 'Low Fat' badge which usually adornes the packaging of foods and which indicate them as being healthier and good for weight loss etc..

At this stage of the game with the info' that's available anyone who doesn't understand that to be a load of tosh, and where the real problem lies, is baffling.
Ignorance is indeed bliss, it seems. Low fat usually translates into high sugar. A terrible trade off, should be the other way around.

The overall equation isn't too difficult to work out though:

Eat less and exercise more if one is unhappy with one's weight.

Sure, certain foods are a bit dodgier than others but your body is a calorie burning machine and pretty much any fuel will be satisfactorily disposed of if you burn it off.

The real red herring in all this popular, nutritional analysis (as opposed to doing it for a specific activity like endurance sport) is thinking that you can somehow eat stuff yet fundamentally prevent the uptake of calories.

It's pretty delusional really.

Surely you need to think of internal health and not just weight loss/management. There's a lot more going on under the hood to think of/consider.

Sure, if you're taking the long view but the impression I get with all this calorie counting stuff is that it's principally focused on short-term weight loss / gain. Could be wrong though.

Sure, if you're taking the long view but the impression I get with all this calorie counting stuff is that it's principally focused on short-term weight loss / gain. Could be wrong though.
Fair enough and you're right.

My thinking and focus these days is strictly long term health - I had a 360 health check in March and got a massive thumbs up which has focused me even more - but the short term results from this long term thinking have been immense.

Fair enough and you're right.

My thinking and focus these days is strictly long term health - I had a 360 health check in March and got a massive thumbs up which has focused me even more - but the short term results from this long term thinking have been immense.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting one of those. I turned 30 recently and though I reckon that's still pretty young and I'm reasonably fit, it'd be good to see if there's anything lurking in the background that should be addressed (putting the smoking to one side of course :oops:).

How much did your check-up cost?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting one of those. I turned 30 recently and though I reckon that's still pretty young and I'm reasonably fit, it'd be good to see if there's anything lurking in the background that should be addressed (putting the smoking to one side of course :oops:).

How much did your check-up cost?
Not sure as I got it through work with Nuffield Health, it was the 360+.

I had it on my 43rd birthday and after years of drug abuse, smoking, drinking, you name it - general messiness for years and years I was surprised and very pleased with the results and it made me think I've been lucky so don't tempt things, sort it out.

Since then I have done so much research into things it's plain scary what the powers that be are feeding to the masses, and as spanglechick has said, even the NHS :(

As for breakfast. Week days always either eggs or meat, I always have 1 or the other + I have nuts and natural yogurt with flaxseeds. Very occasionally I'll have oats.

Tailoring your diet to your own, personal specific needs is the key. Calorie counting is for weight management, knowing how much protein/fibre/calcium/iron etc that you need in a day is the more general health aspect. Doing both those things in conjunction constitutes a ''healthy'' diet in my eyes. I'm only 7 stone but fighting fit, thanks to my understanding of nutrition. My doc is always surprised I'm never sick.

Tailoring your diet to your own, personal specific needs is the key. Calorie counting is for weight management, knowing how much protein/fibre/calcium/iron etc that you need in a day is the more general health aspect. Doing both those things in conjunction constitutes a ''healthy'' diet in my eyes. I'm only 7 stone but fighting fit, thanks to my understanding of nutrition. My doc is always surprised I'm never sick.
Great thing is there's so much beautiful healthy food it's truly delightful, I eat like a friggin horse but I believe (know) I have the balance for me right. I'm twice your weight and fighting fit also.

Great thing is there's so much beautiful healthy food it's truly delightful, I eat like a friggin horse but I believe (know) I have the balance for me right. I'm twice your weight and fighting fit also.
Yup, always amuses me when people call healthy food ''rabbit'' food or diet food. Negativity from the get go isn't the way to a nutritional diet. Wholegrain bread is beautiful. Fruit makes confectionery redundant. Vegetables are versatility given physical form. Wheat isn't the only grain on the planet. Soy isn't the devil. Moderation isn't food slavery. Meat needn't be eaten at every meal to make it feel complete. A few minor changes to the average diet could yield such potential health benefits for the masses it beggars belief that people still make such poor, uninformed choices based solely on advertising and packaging. It's playing into the hands of the industrial food complex, trading our health for profits. Sickening.

Yup, always amuses me when people call healthy food ''rabbit'' food or diet food. Negativity from the get go isn't the way to a nutritional diet. Wholegrain bread is beautiful. Fruit makes confectionery redundant. Vegetables are versatility given physical form. Wheat isn't the only grain on the planet. Soy isn't the devil. Moderation isn't food slavery. Meat needn't be eaten at every meal to make it feel complete. A few minor changes to the average diet could yield such potential health benefits for the masses it beggars belief that people still make such poor, uninformed choices based solely on advertising and packaging. It's playing into the hands of the industrial food complex, trading our health for profits. Sickening.

I agree with all of this bar "fruit makes confectionary redundant".
Imho like fuck does it :D
I love fruit but I also love Haribo Sour Mix :p

I've just been (briefly) reading about soaking muesli/oats/grains overnight in milk/yoghurt to increase the nutritional benefit from said mix, something with it being easier for the body to absorb the nutrients from the food. Anyone else more clued up on this than me? I don't want to be eating soggy muesli for nothing...

I adore fruit but they really do not make confectionary redundant, sorry. :D

Back
Top Bottom