Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breakfast cereals et al

Porridge with water is wrong. But then so is porridge with cream, some well-meaning folk in the West country once made it for me like that and I felt like throwing up for the rest of the day.

With cream? :D

That instantly brings to mind one of those fat shaming programmes I saw where they sent some overweight people to Argentina and they had to eat the diet that they were eating. They were deep frying pasta to cook it :facepalm:

Fruit and fibre. Love porridge with bananas and brown sugar but no time for that during the week.

My son keeps asking me to buy him Cheerios but I'm assuming they have no nutritional value whatsoever.
I like slow cooked porridge. But for speed I put some oats in a Pyrex jug, cover with water and then nuke it in the microwave for about a minute.

Going for the savoury version, eh. A marmite lover might dribble some through it :hmm:

I didn't realise that you could do it with sugar. I mean, I know it's possible, but I though the done thing was milk n sugar or water n salt. Not free-flowing, mixy-uppy do what you like! :eek:

I might try to experiment with it a bit. Cheers!

I didn't realise that you could do it with sugar. I mean, I know it's possible, but I though the done thing was milk n sugar or water n salt. Not free-flowing, mixy-uppy do what you like! :eek:

I might try to experiment with it a bit. Cheers!
Throw the rule book out of the window :eek: :D

I have taken to having my morning porridge with stewed fruit (with sugar in) and lemon curd. I'm concerned about the potential calorie value of that. Should really leave out one or the other.

Also apparently Oastso Simple Sachets are about 25% sugar or something since they got bought buy a big multinational (don't sue if that fact is wrong big multinational!). This is why I think a traffic light system on food could be a good idea. There is so much junk in some stuff.

I like slow cooked porridge. But for speed I put some oats in a Pyrex jug, cover with water and then nuke it in the microwave for about a minute.
I put my porridge on medium high, wander around the house, go back when the milk is beginning to boil over, stir it up, serve. Perfect results every time.

I put my porridge on medium high, wander around the house, go back when the milk is beginning to boil over, stir it up, serve. Perfect results every time.
It's another good way to do it. But porridge pans are as horrible as scrambled eggs pans to wash up - another factor.

It's another good way to do it. But porridge pans are as horrible as scrambled eggs pans to wash up - another factor.
Add water and wash right away. Works everytime. Never just let it sit and harden before washing. Also buy a spurtle.

I make my own wheat free granola. I eat it about two or three days a week in the winter with nuts and seeds, live yoghurt and half a banana.

Occasionally I'll buy a box of this stuff and eat half a box at a sitting with vanilla rice milk. I've never looked at the ingredients because I'd really rather not know.

tumblr_md0dw2I6781rc5b01o1_400.png

Scott's porridge oats made with lactofree milk and a squidge of agave nectar or two weetabix with lactofree milk, agave nectar and handful of blueberries. Mug of tea or green tea.

I make my own wheat free granola. I eat it about two or three days a week in the winter with nuts and seeds, live yoghurt and half a banana.

Occasionally I'll buy a box of this stuff and eat half a box at a sitting with vanilla rice milk. I've never looked at the ingredients because I'd really rather not know.

tumblr_md0dw2I6781rc5b01o1_400.png

The ingredients actually don'r look too bad.

I very rarely eat cereal but when I do it's nearly always Weetabix with just milk or milk and a sliced banana.

I've been eating porridge every single morning for the past several years, come rain or shine. I prefer Mornflake oats with a sprinkling of some frozen desert blueberries (Sainsbury's) along with some semi skimmed milk. I bung it in the microwave for two lots of 1 minute on full power, stirring in between. Bob on.

It was Weetabix with sugar as a kid or Sugar Puffs then as a teenager I found Fruit & Fibre and have eaten that ever since. I'm not keen on supermarket own brand as flakes are too small and not enough fruit. I have it with skimmed or semi skimmed milk. In the winter I vary this with porridge with milk plus dried fruit..I especially like dried cranberries and in the summer I do granola, soya yoghurt and fresh blueberries. I found a great granola in Waitrose that compared well to my Fruit & Fibre.

Work-a-day non cereal breakfast is usually banana on toast.

Best one that I've found recently is ''Mornflake very berry oatbran'' muesli. Both delicious and nutritious, lots of fruit, resealable bag and on offer at Tesco right now. Highly recommended with Greek yogurt and crushed All-Bran.

I never knew porridge was so popular. Used to like it with loads of milk and a bit of sugar. Hate it with salt. Can't be bothered with it at all now. Very occasionly eat Fruit n Fibre. Tesco's own brand is rubbish.

I usually just have a yoghurt, but it really like those cinnamon things for a special treat. High days and holidays.

I refuse to buy the kids anything with chocolate because... Well, it's no way to start the day is it? Also, the chocolate cereals are reeeeeeaaaaalllly salty. To the point that they don't actually like them and end up leaving them. Yuck.

Back
Top Bottom