Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breakfast cereals et al

Callum91

Let them eat cock
Due to an increase of strong cannabinoids in my diet recently, I've taken to spending a copious amount of time looking at the different nutritional information of foods, comparing them, rating them, memorizing them and ranking them. Long story short is that I'm shocked that some breakfast cereals aren't classed as confectionary. Take the ever so innocent looking Kellog's Ricicles, a cereal I was allowed once a year when we all drove up to Edinburgh to see the family. Forty-fucking-percent sugar. Nought point nine percent fibre. A mere four point five percent protein (all based on 100g, no milk). Now I knew they were bad, but this shit is just nutritionally void. The milk you're pouring on top is doing you more good. Sugar Puffs are no better, thirty nine percent sugar. All of it empty calories, hundreds of wasted calories eaten day in, day out by huge numbers of people all over the world.

I'm all for choice, people can eat whatever they wish. I just merely wanted to see if you lovely Urbanites give a toss or just eat whatever they like, to damn with nutrition! :cool:

I don't have cereal that often so don't care about the nutritional stuff tbh - if I had it everyday I might be fussier. So I don't mind having Weetabix (with tea on it not milk) or Alpen (with tea) or Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (with milk) tried Oatabix (not as good as Weetabix) current occasional cereal is Chocolate Cheerios (with milk - I like the chocolate milk at the end )

Muesli's and granola's are slippery customers. Calories are sky high, fats are high but usually of the good sort from nuts, sugar levels are comparable to Crunchy nut/Frosties/any other obviously sugary cereal and the fibre is ok at best. It wouldn't be an issue if portion size was controlled and consistent, but I'm aware that every other human on the planet except me just eye balls a good amount and adds however much milk looks about right. It's easy to clock up 700+ calories in your ''healthy'' looking bowl of muesli/granola.

images

The two cereals I eat are Morrison's own brand bran flakes and Dorset Cereals "simply nutty" muesli.

100g Bran flakes:
356kcal
10.5g protein
17g sugars
15.1g fibre
2g fat (0.5g saturated)

100g muesli:
378kcal
10.5g protein
13.6g sugars
10.9g fibre
9.2g fat (1.5g saturated)

I'd say they're both OK.

The two cereals I eat are Morrison's own brand bran flakes and Dorset Cereals "simply nutty" muesli.

100g Bran flakes:
356kcal
10.5g protein
17g sugars
15.1g fibre
2g fat (0.5g saturated)

100g muesli:
378kcal
10.5g protein
13.6g sugars
10.9g fibre
9.2g fat (1.5g saturated)

I'd say they're both OK.
The nut based muesli's are probably the better choice compared to the regular stuff that contains all the dried fruit. Fat over sugar, always. Dorset cereal boast of ''40% fruit'' in one of theirs, it may as well say 40% sugar.

I have Shredded Wheat mostly. I love Shreddies but they aggravate my IBS. Cheerios are nice too.

Fruit is good for you, despite its sugar content

Sugars are only bad in that they're empty calories aren't they? So there's nothing wrong with a diet high in sugars as long as you're keeping to a sensible calorie intake and getting all your nutrients from the other foods you eat.

Admittedly that would be hard to do given the high calorific content of sugars, but if possible, not particularly bad.

Sugars are only bad in that they're empty calories aren't they? So there's nothing wrong with a diet high in sugars as long as you're keeping to a sensible calorie intake and getting all your nutrients from the other foods you eat.

Admittedly that would be hard to do given the high calorific content of sugars, but if possible, not particularly bad.
This is pretty much my diet.

1,300 calories a day. 7 years now. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Totally not recommended at all. Some doors don't need opening.

Wow, that's low! How are you not wasting away?

I take it you never leave the sofa/chair all day and never do any exercise?

Porridge oats. Winter only. Made with water.

Then I put maple syrup on it :oops:

As to nutrition/calories etc - dunno.

Fruit and fibre. Love porridge with bananas and brown sugar but no time for that during the week.

My son keeps asking me to buy him Cheerios but I'm assuming they have no nutritional value whatsoever.

I tried my first porridge and water today (with salt). Not bad at all. It was so creamy I almost could convince myself I made it with milk by mistake.

Good stuff, might do again.

Porridge with water is wrong. But then so is porridge with cream, some well-meaning folk in the West country once made it for me like that and I felt like throwing up for the rest of the day.

I tried my first porridge and water today (with salt). Not bad at all. It was so creamy I almost could convince myself I made it with milk by mistake.

Good stuff, might do again.
Going for the savoury version, eh. A marmite lover might dribble some through it :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom