Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

If it helps: There was a bloke who lived in Brixton who was connected to Hawkwind and several other bands (I think he put up some of the money for the first Glastonbury). He was pals with Jimi, was with him the night before he died.

Well, exactly. Pre-Internet/Twitter these things were always word of mouth and rarely recorded.

I've done a search for Alabama 3 at George IV and there's not a lot out there and this was in the early 90s.

I wonder if his Lordship's going to dispute their presence there

Also, Jimi was notorious for just kinda leaping up and joining in / taking over. Must have driven people bonkers to have him do it.

I've done a search for Alabama 3 at George IV and there's not a lot out there and this was in the early 90s.
I saw the Alabama 3 play at the Railway in the early 90s too. They were ace. Heck, even I gave a talk there once and I doubt if there's much of a record about that either.

I saw the Alabama 3 play at the Railway in the early 90s too. They were ace. Heck, even I gave a talk there once and I doubt if there's much of a record about that either.

I remember going there in the early 80s as well with a load of Irish friends (as in I remember going there but don't remember much else!)

Top Cats used to play at the George as well

I once got thrown out of an Alabama 3 gig there. Doubt there's a record of that either.

How the fuck do you get thrown out of a pub like George IV or The Railway? What on earth were you up to? :hmm::D

and where were you thrown out of - George IV or Railway?

It was the Railway. Maybe even the gig editor was at...

You've had my answer, Minnie_the_Minx, and you'll just have to be content with what you've been given. ;)

It was the Railway. Maybe even the gig editor was at...

You've had my answer, Minnie_the_Minx, and you'll just have to be content with what you've been given. ;)

and I'm still in shock :D

Will never be able to look at you in the same light again, and if I ever meet you in the street, I shall cross the road (well, I would if I knew what you looked like....:hmm:)

Feb 19th 1967. A flat somewhere in Chelsea.

Its late morning and Jimi Hendrix lies on an unmade bed wearing only a pink ruffled shirt. Next to him a naked hippy chick paints her toe nails with psychedelic nail varnish. Jimis in the middle of a sell out tour of the UK. He IS the hottest property in town – London lies at his feet.

Hippie Chick : What are we doing after the gig at the Blarney tonight ? Annabels ? The UFO ? Maybe Mick and Keiths jam session at
Johns pad ? – Oh and don’t forget Lady Phillipas reefer madness party (laughs) you know how bonkers she is !

Jimi: (admiring the full page photo of himself on the front of that weeks Melody Maker)
Hell no sweetie. I thought we’d mosey on down to The Railway Hotel in Brixton and jam the night away with my hip Irish
friends. Man the Guiness is way too coool down there and Paddys the meanest spoons player I’ve ever heard.

Hippie Chick : Groovy plan baby but theres one slight problem ...

Jimi : (suddenly concerned) Whats that baby ?

Hippie Chick : Its Sunday 1967. Pubs shut at 10 – last orders 9.50.

Jimi : (shocked) And the wind cried Mary !

Lock ins. What would you do if you wanted to offer your regulars a late pint in those much more rigid times ?

a) Lock the door, close the curtains, turn the juke box of and get serving

or

b) Lock the door, close the curtains, turn the juke box off and invite your local prog rock band in ...

Lock ins. What would you do if you wanted to offer your regulars a late pint in those much more rigid times ?

a) Lock the door, close the curtains, turn the juke box of and get serving

or

b) Lock the door, close the curtains, turn the juke box off and invite your local prog rock band in ...
What? I've been to loads of lock-ins where there's been musicians playing.

In fact, there was one at *a popular Brixton venue* only last week, and I can remember many, many drunken nights at the Railway where people were playing fiddles, acoustic guitars, drums - the lot. Unless there's noise complaints or the landlord is spotted selling beer after hours, pubs can do what they like after they've closed to the public.

Feb 1967. The side entrance of The Railway Hotel, Brixton.

Its late and theres a real pea souper swirling around a figure hammering on the double doors of the pub. PC Dixon cape and all is trying to make himself heard above the noise coming from inside. The pea in his whistle oscillates in time to the beat of the music.

Inside Jimmy Hendrix and The Experience are rocking their way through Jimis version of Paddy McGintys Goat. The Guiness is flowing and the locals are going mad. Hippie Chick is on a table dancing wildly wearing little more than an Emerald Green PVC mini skirt.
Jimi finishes the song and Sean the landlord hearing the hammering opens the door a crack to see who it is.

PC Dixon: (half whispering) Sean – sorry to bother you mate but can you ask Jimmy to adjust his amp only Mrs McGurgle above the pie and mash shop is complaining of Purple Haze through her hearing aid again and we’ve a 6 car raid going on at a shebeen in Railton Rd and - as great as it is - all were getting over these new fangled radios is Jimmys set.

Sean: No bother at all officer – well you not come in for a quick one ? Jimis not done ‘Wild Thing’ yet.

PC Dixon: No thanks Sean I’d better get down to Railton and give the boys a hand. (Turns to leave but turns back suddenly) Oh and before I forget. Could you ask Jimi to play ‘Hey Joe’ again before he fixes his amp only The Inspector was away from his radio beating a Rude Boy up in the cells and missed it.

Sean : No problem - I’ll have a word ... (closes the door gently).

Inside Val Doonican has joined Jimi on stage for a version of 'Walk Tall'. Its going to be a long night.

I want to apologise for the terrible Irish stereotyping above but want it known that some of my best friends are Irish.

What? I've been to loads of lock-ins where there's been musicians playing.

In fact, there was one at *a popular Brixton venue* only last week, and I can remember many, many drunken nights at the Railway where people were playing fiddles, acoustic guitars, drums - the lot. Unless there's noise complaints or the landlord is spotted selling beer after hours, pubs can do what they like after they've closed to the public.

Thats now ! Back then before they liberalised the licencing laws lock-ins and drinking after time was fairly rare. All it took was few complaints from nosey neighbours/jealous rival publicans and if you didnt listen to the warnings plod gave you the magistrates would have your licence ! Even story might back me up on that one !

Back
Top Bottom