Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

Doesn't have to be a restaurant. The use class is A3 - Food and Drink, so a pub is still possible.

I reckon a cafe/restaurant with adjoining baker/deli would go down a storm

Here's a little place in Killaloe, Ireland which used to have tiny premises, and has now moved into a pub as an eaterie/cafe serving alcohol and have also nabbed the premises next door for a bakery. Everywhere in Killaloe is empty, except this place which is packed. Unfortunately, I think it's probably tourists and yuppies as £15 for a burger is a bit outrageous

http://www.facebook.com/WoodenSpoonKillaloe?sk=info

I would be very interested to know exactly how the ABC plans fell through. It was ll looking quite promising at one point, with money on the way etc.

Sad news.

£85 grand a year rent. So you'd need to take £1635 per week just to pay the rent - prob £2.5k per week to break even. Is that possible for a boozer?

I'd give up my job tomorrow to run a pub in that location but I don't have 50 grand to spend on refurbishing the place :(

Only the downstairs and basement are up for rent. Which means the top two/three floors must be getting converted into flats. Which means it is unlikely that a pub or music venue would be able to trade there.

Massive :mad: and :(

Only the downstairs and basement are up for rent. Which means the top two/three floors must be getting converted into flats. Which means it is unlikely that a pub or music venue would be able to trade there.

Massive :mad: and :(

The uppers are to let separately, as offices.

You'd need way more than 50k to get the ground and basement up and running.

When they were selling the council was looking to proposals for purchase which "lead to the regeneration of Brady's and provide A3 and community use". The agents told me that this would be made conditional through planning restrictions. I would be interested to hear how this condition has been met - particularly since it put a lot of bidders off and will have substantially reduced the sale price.

The uppers are to let separately, as offices.

You'd need way more than 50k to get the ground and basement up and running.

When they were selling the council was looking to proposals for purchase which "lead to the regeneration of Brady's and provide A3 and community use". The agents told me that this would be made conditional through planning restrictions. I would be interested to hear how this condition has been met - particularly since it put a lot of bidders off and will have substantially reduced the sale price.

The trouble with this is that it still is to be argued through planning. I can see whoever has bought it watering down any commitment to community use eventually. Kind of thing developers are good at. Arguing this would make it commercially unviable. Unless the sale had some kind of commitments already written into it. Which Im not sure is possible.

The trouble with this is that it still is to be argued through planning. I can see whoever has bought it watering down any commitment to community use eventually. Kind of thing developers are good at. Arguing this would make it commercially unviable. Unless the sale had some kind of commitments already written into it. Which Im not sure is possible.
Yep, we've seen things like "community use" watered down so many times in the planning process. Properties often seem to get left empty/unused for ages until the planning committee is persuaded to think "ah fuck it, we might as well just get someone in to use the place..."

I imagine a chain like Pizza Express or similar could clean up/smarten up that end of Electric Lane, stick some tables & chairs on the pavement and claim that is "community use"....

Yep, we've seen things like "community use" watered down so many times in the planning process. Properties often seem to get left empty/unused for ages until the planning committee is persuaded to think "ah fuck it, we might as well just get someone in to use the place..."

I imagine a chain like Pizza Express or similar could clean up/smarten up that end of Electric Lane, stick some tables & chairs on the pavement and claim that is "community use"....
Too much stink from the butchers.

Yeah Pizza "f*cking" Express. and how about a multi story starbuck while they're at it....... :,( The council are the thickest people around in our universe

Brady's could be (could have been) an incredible public feature for Brixton, and without a doubt there are people who would have taken up the challenge and worked for little or nothing to turn it into a real public resource. I for one would have done, but have been told that it is up for auction shortly, or allready.

I would be very interested to know exactly how the ABC plans fell through. It was ll looking quite promising at one point, with money on the way etc.

Crispy.... from what I can tell, ABC seem as like a bunch of con artists, who I believe were in it only to get free public money for themselves and their mates.

I saw their plans and they were plain rubbish, incoherent and made a very poor use of the space.

Back
Top Bottom