Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

It does worry me that residential is still proposed for the upper floors. Unless there's hefty soundproofing built in, I imagine a pub might have difficulty getting a licence if people were already living upstairs.
The noise from the pub fades into insignificance compared to the almighty rumble when a train thunders overhead. I've been upstairs inside and there's a massive, crockery-moving racket when a train goes by.

I'd suggest that they might not be hugely pleased about it coming back unless some rigorous noise and time restrictions were put in.
I don't recall it being that loud to be honest. Maybe for the big nights when the back room was open, but most of the time it was just the front bar and that didn't have any kind of big sound system.

I don't recall it being that loud to be honest. Maybe for the big nights when the back room was open, but most of the time it was just the front bar and that didn't have any kind of big sound system.

I don't know for definite as it was before my time, but this is via people who've lived round there a lot longer than me. 40+ years in some cases. And I think perception of loudness is all fine and good but if you're dealing with it every day it might be slightly different. Just pointing out that it's not necessarily straightforward that it would be awarded a licence.

Most of the time, Bradys was only open in the front bar (facing Atlantic Road) and that's the furthest bit away from Electric Mansions.

It'll probably be a hideous gastro pub that I'll never visit, but I'm still very happy to see it staying as a pub of sorts.

Noise is not always to do with live music; quite often complaints come from the pub customers and I'm sure the local wildlife that spilled out of Brady's in the wee hours caused many a racket. I might have even done it myself once or twice.

It does worry me that residential is still proposed for the upper floors. Unless there's hefty soundproofing built in, I imagine a pub might have difficulty getting a licence if people were already living upstairs.
Where has that been proposed?

If you look at the design statement (for the pub/cafe application) here, it says that there is a separate application for residential upstairs.
Cheers. Having spent a good few hours in there earlier this year I can safely say I would not want to live in the arch / tower bit - it was very noisy. I suspect they will want to build some new floors over the rear dance hall.

The current application includes some comments about the reasons the previous application was refused.

I enjoyed the bit at the end where they have a go at Lambeth planning for being so useless.
View attachment 24381
Totally fair comment. The planning department can be very uncommunicative and uncooperative (and this was way before the cuts). I have often had applications turned down because of mistakes by officers (e.g. claiming information is missing when it is not, miscalculating volumes, claiming a road is a public right of way when it is not, etc..) but it is impossible to point these out because they don't raise the matters with you until they have rejected the application. I once had an application turned down because my drawings were not to scale. It turned out that the planner had changed the print settings to 'fit to screen' rather than 'print to scale'. They asked me to resubmit!

Totally fair comment. The planning department can be very uncommunicative and uncooperative (and this was way before the cuts). I have often had applications turned down because of mistakes by officers (e.g. claiming information is missing when it is not, miscalculating volumes, claiming a road is a public right of way when it is not, etc..) but it is impossible to point these out because they don't raise the matters with you until they have rejected the application. I once had an application turned down because my drawings were not to scale. It turned out that the planner had changed the print settings to 'fit to screen' rather than 'print to scale'. They asked me to resubmit!
We always put a scale bar on planning application drawings for exactly this reason

And a note that says "Please print at 1:1, not fit to page" :D
The text is pretty small tbh. I'm very glad we don't work in Lambeth.

Here's the planning application for the upstairs bit: http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=LWI3DJBOHV000

The reference is 11/04500/FUL.

The flats are fucking tiny! http://planning-docs.lambeth.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00333810.pdf

Btw, this application was sent to Lambeth in December 2011, with a target date of May 2012 :eek: I can only assume the delay is due to planners wanting to look at the overall plans together, rather than them just being massively slow...

I can't imagine there ever being live music downstairs if there are flats above, especially with three bedrooms proposed directly above the main room of the pub. And the fact that the pub is described as a pub (A4) doesn't necessarily mean there will be a pub there - once the building works are done, a tenant still needs to be found. It would have to be a very quiet pub....

I can't imagine there ever being live music downstairs if there are flats above, especially with three bedrooms proposed directly above the main room of the pub. And the fact that the pub is described as a pub (A4) doesn't necessarily mean there will be a pub there - once the building works are done, a tenant still needs to be found. It would have to be a very quiet pub....
The Brady's we all knew and loved has long gone and won't be coming back. It's a shame too because the back room there was fantastic. I would have loved to have put on an Offline night or two there.

I saw Alabama 3 and Vic perform there a few times. I only got to give a talk there after it was squatted.

I think I will comment on the applications supporting the retention of the pub but suggesting that decent soundproofing should be installed to at least make it possible that some sort of pub-type premises might be realistic and survive downstairs.

This sort of thing happens with most planning departments in London in my experience. They will also come back with comments that could be resolved as minor amendments with literally days or hours before the decision deadline having sat on it for 3 months, making it effectively impossible to make the changes in time and forcing you to accept their kind offer of a voluntary withdrawal and resubmission, buying them a few more months time without having any effect on their target-meeting statistics.

And it's not them that then has to enjoy an angry client shouting down the telephone :mad:

The planning application refers to a 'historic print' showing how the building looked in Victorian times.
Has anyone seen this?

All I can find is an example of its intriguing 'Swiss Garden' from 1905.

View attachment 24385

Wouldn't be surprised if many of the customers in the re-opened pub are dressed much in the manner of the two in the photograph

There were builders in the ground floor of Bradys today - they were removing random rubbish: bricks, fire extinguishers and all sorts. I asked one of the builders what was going on but he claimed not to speak English :hmm:

It looks in a proper awful state - there's holes in the floor and floorboards missing etc.

I think I will comment on the applications supporting the retention of the pub but suggesting that decent soundproofing should be installed to at least make it possible that some sort of pub-type premises might be realistic and survive downstairs.
I'm not sure that this is an issue the planners will get involved in. Noise transmission is usually a building control issue (ie would be the district surveyor's or approved inspectors' remit not planning officer) before and during construction (apart from noise made by construction works themselves which are covered by planning conditions) - then by environmental health once occupied.

I'm not sure that this is an issue the planners will get involved in. Noise transmission is usually a building control issue...
That may well be true....but someone has to make this point. The developers and the builders don't really give a fuck about whether a pub can survive there - they just want to get paid and rent the unit out. If they can't rent it out as a pub/cafe, it'll eventually end up being just another commercial retail unit. It would be totally nuts to do the building works and not install any soundproofing, thereby dooming the cause of a pub right from the start.

That may well be true....but someone has to make this point. The developers and the builders don't really give a fuck about whether a pub can survive there - they just want to get paid and rent the unit out. If they can't rent it out as a pub/cafe, it'll eventually end up being just another commercial retail unit. It would be totally nuts to do the building works and not install any soundproofing, thereby dooming the cause of a pub right from the start.
It would be nuts. But it would be a building control issue.

there has to be significant attenuation between new residential units and anything else, this is in the building regulations and gets more onerous with each update to the relevant section - new buildings or refurbs that create new dwellings have to be tested for noise transfer before they can get their certificate. These conditions are less onerous for commercial premises but if such a premises becomes adjacent to a newly created dwelling then the walls or floors between them must comply with the more onerous regs - if that makes sense

Back
Top Bottom