Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

I've done another little feature on the pub, and also researched the Annie Hall who laid the date stone.

bradys-clock-tower-brixton.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/pic-of-the-day-bradys-clock-tower-brixton/

Interesting to note Annie was only 17 when the stone was laid- so she must have been Mr. Allen's (the owner of the building and Allen's brewery) daughter - not wife as we previously supposed. Looking at the geneology it appears that she was married to James Pidgeon, a brewer, who presumably ran the pub and Allen's Brewery situated next door at 18 Atlantic Road (now Argos).

I think we're close to a real solution for the pub, we've done a lot of architectural work now and we're finalising plans. It has to be 'market tested' to ascertain how much Lambeth can get for it. We think (having spent a fortune on consultants) this figure is bugger all and the pub is not a commercial proposition (someone would have done it by now if it was). Of course there are many people talking big talk who haven't done the sums...

Realistically the only answer is a grant funded scheme, with a possibility of private sector involvement.

It looks as though we'll get a yes-or no within the next couple of months. Then I can talk about something else...

Thats a good new feature ed but you insist on repeating the urban75myth concerning Hendrix having played there. Have you any evidence for this ? It was a dyed in the wool Youngs House in those days and Hendrix and his guitar wouldnt have got a look in ! The music history of Brixton in those days was definately Reggae and this unsubstatiated rumour takes away from this important FACT.

Thats a good new feature ed but you insist on repeating the urban75myth concerning Hendrix having played there. Have you any evidence for this ? It was a dyed in the wool Youngs House in those days and Hendrix and his guitar wouldnt have got a look in ! The music history if Brixton in those days was definately Reggae and this unsubstatiated rumour takes away from this important FACT.

Why is it an Urban75 myth? Did Editor create the myth?

Thats a good new feature ed but you insist on repeating the urban75myth concerning Hendrix having played there. Have you any evidence for this ? It was a dyed in the wool Youngs House in those days and Hendrix and his guitar wouldnt have got a look in ! The music history if Brixton in those days was definately Reggae and this unsubstatiated rumour takes away from this important FACT.
He definitely played a Bradys, but it's been impossible to confirm if it was the Railway or not: http://obie.homesite.net/jimi_hendrix_live.htm

He regularly played the nearby Ram Jam Club and local rumour has it that he would jam at Bradys after. http://www.richdickinsonsdf.co.uk/hendrix_gig_list.htm

I'm interested in your story that it was a reggae pub - have you any posters/flyers from that time as I'd be only too happy to update the information.

He definitely played a Bradys, but it's been impossible to confirm if it was the Railway or not: http://obie.homesite.net/jimi_hendrix_live.htm

He played the nearby Ram Jam Club and local rumour has it that he would jam at Bradys after.

I'm interested in your story that it was a reggae pub - have you any posters/flyers from that time as I'd be only too happy to update the information.

Maybe it was the Russell Hotel Bradys?

It was a Youngs pub before they sold it after the riots in the 80s.
Can you find some documentation for this as I'd love to update the story - especially as the word is that it's going up for auction this week. I hope we don't end up with the rumoured Tesco fucking Metro.

LOL ! The Railway a reggae pub :) My point was that musical history of (sorry for the typo in my original post) Brixton in the 70s and 80s was predominantly concerned with reggae not rock. My underdstanding is that the Ram Jam Club was mostly soul orientated and only became a rock venue when it was resurrected as the Fridge in the 80s.

Can you point me at the dates in those Hendrix websites where Bradys is mentioned ?

Can you point me at the dates in those Hendrix websites where Bradys is mentioned ?
He's listed as playing a London Bradys on 19th Feb 1967 on the first link - but post-gig jam sessions aren't listed. Not entirely sure that Brixton was 'predominantly concerned' with reggae not rock either - there was a very active squat/punk scene here.

LOL ! The Railway a reggae pub :) My point was that musical history of (sorry for the typo in my original post) Brixton in the 70s and 80s was predominantly concerned with reggae not rock. My underdstanding is that the Ram Jam Club was mostly soul orientated and only became a rock venue when it was resurrected as the Fridge in the 80s.

Doesn't mean rock wasn't played.

As for the Ramjam, does that mean Hendrix played soul?

If you stick Brixton and Hendrix into google most entries have an urban75 source. BTW I'm not trying to hint at any wrong doing by anyone.
Out of interest I think this page:

http://www.mattlox.com/taxonomy/term/2

might be the source of 'the myth'
I used the phrase "reputed to have played" in the original article rather carefully, because despite having several people tell me that he did jam at Bradys, I've yet to find any solid evidence. It may well be that due to the nature of the event it wasn't documented.

Doesn't mean rock wasn't played.

As for the Ramjam, does that mean Hendrix played soul?

Sorry Minnie the music that defined Brixton in the 70s and 80s was reggae - mostly through the sound systems in pubs like the Atlantic (now Dog Star) or in the shebeens in Railton and Mayall Rds. You went to Camden for rock bands.

Sorry Minnie the music that defined Brixton in the 70s and 80s was reggae - mostly through the sound systems in pubs like the Atlantic (now Dog Star) or in the shebeens in Railton and Mayall Rds. You went to Camden for rock bands.

So what was he playing at the Ramjam?

Did you see post 343?

He's listed as playing a London Bradys on 19th Feb 1967 on the first link - but post-gig jam sessions aren't listed. Not entirely sure that Brixton was 'predominantly concerned' with reggae not rock either - there was a very active squat/punk scene here.

Now your really going to think I have it in for you ! Given that The Railway was a non music venue Youngs pub until just after the first riots its highly unlikely that The Clash played there with one of their original Punk era line ups. It would be interesting to find out what year they are supposed to have played Bradys.

Now your really going to think I have it in for you ! Given that The Railway was a non music venue Youngs pub until just after the first riots its highly unlikely that The Clash played there with one of their original Punk era line ups. It would be interesting to find out what year they are supposed to have played Bradys.
I'm happy to correct the article but so far all you're giving me is your opinion, so I'd appreciate some kind of documentation.

FYI: the Railway has always had a large function room in the back and it was certainly actively putting on gigs in 1993. The Brixton Riots were 1981. The Clash didn't split up until 1986. I made no mention of "original Punk era line ups" in the article.

In fact, I don't even say that The Clash played there but instead said, "The film 'Rude Boy' by the Clash features scenes shot in the Railway Hotel."

The music history of Brixton in those days was definately Reggae and this unsubstatiated rumour takes away from this important FACT.

point was that musical history of (sorry for the typo in my original post) Brixton in the 70s and 80s was predominantly concerned with reggae not rock. My underdstanding is that the Ram Jam Club was mostly soul orientated

Indeed Jimi Hendrix was playing rock music at The Ram Jam in the 1960s.

So, you're talking about reggae being the dominant scene in Brixton in the 70s and 80s, but Hendrix played here (reputedly), in 1967, in a SOUL club :hmm:

So, you're talking about reggae being the dominant scene in Brixton in the 70s and 80s, but Hendrix played here (reputedly), in 1967, in a SOUL club :hmm:

Well apart from the George Canning (Hobgoblin/Hootenanny) name me a venue in Brixton in the 70s and 80s where you could see a rock band. Brixton didnt have a recognised venue on the very influential 'pub rock' scene. You came to Brixton to hear reggae.

Well apart from the George Canning (Hobgoblin/Hootenanny) name me a venue in Brixton in the 70s and 80s where you could see a rock band. Brixton didnt have a recognised venue on the very influential 'pub rock' scene. You came to Brixton to hear reggae.
The Fridge, from 1981.

The Fridge is one of the longest running independent night-clubs in London. To attend The Fridge is to be cool; to enter it is to enter an oven. On the best nights there is scarcely a dry brow in the house. The dance floor is a frenzy of gyrating bodies, dressed down in minimal chic, dressed up in outrageous kitsch. Unlike some other clubs, the atmosphere is always friendly.* Even the bouncers smile as they patrol the borders.

With a crowd that mixes locals with West Enders, black and white, gay and straight, The Fridge is the ultimate melting pot. Their roster of acts reads like a Who’s Who of modern music. The Pet Shop Boys and Erasure played there; Eartha Kitt growled there, Sandie Shaw was scared to go on stage and Annie Lennox burst into tears on the Eurythmics’ first gig there.

In a world where the cool rule and chilling counts, a venue called The Fridge had to be a winner. What no one could have predicted back in 1981 was just how successful an independently owned nightclub outside the West End could be.

While other niteries rose up, strutted their stuff and then sank into disco oblivion, The Fridge has boogied on, year after year. And 11 years down the line it is still at the forefront of London clubbing.

http://www.fridge.co.uk/press.html

I believe The Clash played at The Telegraph. George IV used to have bands as well, none particularly famous although Alabama 3 and Topcats used to play there

I'm happy to correct the article but so far all you're giving me is your opinion, so I'd appreciate some kind of documentation.

FYI: the Railway has always had a large function room in the back and it was certainly actively putting on gigs in 1993. The Brixton Riots were 1981. The Clash didn't split up until 1986. I made no mention of "original Punk era line ups" in the article.

In fact, I don't even say that The Clash played there but instead said, "The film 'Rude Boy' by the Clash features scenes shot in the Railway Hotel."

Sorry ed I only have my memories of The Railway beng a Youngs pub. I do remember Youngs got a lot of negative publicity by pulling out of central Brixton after the riots though. I worked behind the bar at The Railway for the first (Irish) pubco who owned it after Youngs - they kept it for 2/3 years and didnt put music on either ! If The Clash did play there it will have been on of Strummers later reincarnations of the band. It would be interesting to come up with an actual date though.

I believe The Clash played at The Telegraph. George IV used to have bands as well, none particularly famous although Alabama 3 and Topcats used to play there

Fair enough Minnie but my memory of those Brixton Hill pubs is that they were old school boozers until the 90s possibly very late 80s.

The Fridge, from 1981.

The Fridge was in the old Ram Jam venue and like The Academy later tended to put the bigger established acts on. My memory of the first bands to play there where that they were the more established 'New Wave' acts. When it first opened it was strange seeing the posters for rock acts amongst the posters for the sound systems playing the Town Hall or the night clubs in Peckham.

Back
Top Bottom