Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

Have you got man flu?

Wtf is man flu? i had a cold/bug lingering from the start of the month. I ate well. Didn't drink or stay out late and for my efforts last week it exploded into a mucus fest with pretty severe (according to the doc) conjunctivitis. Eyes feel better now but still got a cold:oops:

are you getting rather fond of the George Hootahob? :eek::hmm:

Always been fond of the place - it's my local of umpteen years after all. Despite their clumsy early efforts it's still a pub where I enjoy drinking, much more since they've dropped the most stupid and unsustainable aspects of the Scottish theme now. The staff no longer are forced unhappily into kilts, the live Scottish stuff has been dropped in the main, replaced by more varied acts and low key acoustic Cpt Pugwash music later on during the weeks.

Still not a patch on the popular days of M&S running the place, but at least it's got some permanent management who care about the place now, even if they were a bit naive and misguided at first.

yeah, the hootenanny appears to have sorted itself out.

as far as small music venues go, well, there's the Windmill (obviously), there's the Grosvenor, there's Jamm, there's a fair few gigs at the Ritzy Cafe, there's live music a couple of nights a week at the Telegraph...

and there's the Cavendish in Stockwell. Though that is of course Stockwell, not brixton.

but yeah, more dedicated venues would be nice.

I keep meaning to approach the managers of Ivan's Retreat and also the Hive to ask about putting on music there. Acousticy type stuff that's low maintenance. I put on a few nights at the Grosvenor, but they've got a proper events person there now, and I'm a bit too disorganized to secure myself a regular spot. The Grosvenor has serious underused potentional IMO though. If anyone had the money and clout to put proper, decent middleweight bands on there (say, audiences around 100), it'd work really well I think.

as far as small music venues go, well, there's the Windmill (obviously), there's the Grosvenor, there's Jamm, there's a fair few gigs at the Ritzy Cafe, there's live music a couple of nights a week at the Telegraph...
And the Albert! There's at least one night of music every weekend now.

yeah, the hootenanny appears to have sorted itself out.

and there's the Cavendish in Stockwell. Though that is of course Stockwell, not brixton.

but yeah, more dedicated venues would be nice.

I keep meaning to approach the managers of Ivan's Retreat and also the Hive to ask about putting on music there. Acousticy type stuff that's low maintenance. I put on a few nights at the Grosvenor, but they've got a proper events person there now, and I'm a bit too disorganized to secure myself a regular spot. The Grosvenor has serious underused potentional IMO though. If anyone had the money and clout to put proper, decent middleweight bands on there (say, audiences around 100), it'd work really well I think.

I've only been to the Grosvenor once - but it rocked. High on my list of gig venues. :D

Bradys Update

Hi there. Sorry for the delay in posting, promised Editor some time ago that I'd let the boards know what's happening, but as you know these things can take a very long time and there's been nothing really significant to report until now.

The latest situation with Bradys:

ABC Brixton is the preferred bidder for the building. We've recently formed the 'Brixton Community Trust', based on the Bradys partnership, which is a charity designed to take on freehold ownership.

We've now commissioned a professional team who have started work on an 'Options Appraisal', otherwise known as a feasibility study.

There are still a few loose ends to tie up, but we're basically in agreement with the council. Providing the figures add up there's no reason the project can't go ahead. We've suggested that we open the front of the building as soon as possible, as the consulting and building work will take a couple of years. We'll also almost certainly have to at least partially demolish the back and realign the hall to accommodate a walkway between tube and train stations. There is a large site to the rear of the building, all of which can be developed, so there is an opportunity for some serious facilities there.

We will have to prove there is a demand for the project, and over the next couple of months we'll be consulting with local groups and individuals to find out what people want. I hope Urban 75 can help with this.

Excellent news! Good luck and let us know if there's anything you need help with :)

A new thread 'what do you want to see happen in Bradys?' would be good!
I reckon this thread is as good as any!

I'd like to see it used much like a legal version of Cooltan: i.e. cheap space for music/dance/drama rehearsal groups; free community training facilities with locals helping out (art/music/photography/computer skills etc); office/meeting space for campaign groups, cafe in the day, bar in the evening; cheap/free events in the evening (cough! Offline!), stage for kids drama - even a Christmas panto like Brixton used to have etc etc...

I doubt if much of the above would fit into a council-friendly proposal, but that's what I'd like.

That's fantastic news ABC. Good luck with the it - I'll try and come up with some suggestions when I've a little time.

Sorry to derail this but Christmas panto? When was that? :confused:
Brixton used to be famous for its theatre and pantos.

poster13.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/posters2.html

Wow I want to see the 1932 modern morality tale 'The Life Machine' (the mind boggles) and "buy chocolates and cigarettes AFTER 9 o'clock!'" :eek:

What a coup to put that on at a revamped Brady's.

Bumping this thread because ABC Brixton are making real progress towards securing Brady's as a community center!

Good news. We've now got a formal commitment from the council and are moving the project forward. Over the next two months we'll be working with consultants on the second stage of the feasibility study. We've provisionally agreed to take on the management of the building as soon as possible and open it in part - probably the front as a cafe - until we're ready for the refurbishment.

We'll have definite plans by June. In the meantime we'll be talking to local groups and formulating the business plan. Please get in touch if you have any ideas.

i've just been rooting through a bunch of old papers and found the proposal from sept 2007 about renovating this place....but still no action.

any news anyone?

As long it isn't turned into flats which only the rich can afford, anything will be fine.

i've just been rooting through a bunch of old papers and found the proposal from sept 2007 about renovating this place....but still no action.

any news anyone?

I spoke to a friend involved on NYE, stuff is still happening, just taking a bit longer than expected. :)

As I understand the position, ABC Brixton have made a solid proposal, and it's clearly the best proposal that's been made for the site. But, as ever, the project has become something of a political football for conflicting factions within the Town Hall.

Supporters need to keep up the pressure, and make sure dirty deeds and foulplay aren't used to scupper the project.

Back
Top Bottom