Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

I see Twisted in 'manager' mode is in MetroLife this morning ;)

More small venues in Brixton would be a great idea. The procrastination about Brady's is appalling.

So apparently things are happening on site. Stripout works and new boardup on the windows...

Anyone know what's going on?

So apparently things are happening on site. Stripout works and new boardup on the windows...

Anyone know what's going on?
I hope it moves faster than the Angel - it's been closed for years, but had a spruce-up last month, with the boarding taking down, windows repaired, and then.... nothing.

No new planning application for the building, as far as I can see.

Although reading the applications for 2008, there's a depressing amount of "Conversion of single dwelling into 3 self contained flats." :(

Oh, and the ritzy plans to swap the bar and ticket hall spaces, which makes sense, but doesn't belong on this thread :oops:

There's pending applications for flat, but I think those apply to the land behind, and might have expired. Last I heard from ABC brixton, they thought they had got the building, but I dont think had heard anything final.

Hmmm.

Last I heard from one of the other organisations that was originally interested was that the site was being snapped up for 'public interchange' or something as part of the Brixton Futures masterplan. I think that on the last version that went to public consultation it is as shown as shopping arcades as part of a pedestrian route from the back of the tube to Atlanric Rd. But I have no idea what has become of that.

Yes, Brixton needs more small venues, and arts venues. Did the plan for Oval House Theatre to move into the middle of Brixton disappear, too?

The audience is definitely there. Offline in particular would be well suited - it's forced all the way out to Jamm at the moment. I know I'd see more live music if it was convenient to get to.

I guess for most people these sort of things end up being tied up with the consumption of copious quantities of alcohol in order to have what is considered to be 'a good time' - the one thing which puts me off going to them.

The last 'big name' concert I went to was Level 42 in Portsmouth about 5 years ago. I'm not sure standing in a field listening to the Wurzels really counts.

Not necessarily... if there's enough demand for it, then people need to work towards getting it done. Me, no interest, so I'm not bothered.

The audience is definitely there. Offline in particular would be well suited - it's forced all the way out to Jamm at the moment. I know I'd see more live music if it was convenient to get to.
I would have loved to put on Offline at either Cooltan or Brady's, but the fantastic vibe at those venues has long gone, sadly.

If Brady's does return - which would be great - I suspect it'll have precious little resemblance to the place of old but I'd still defintely be interested in putting something on there.
I guess for most people these sort of things end up being tied up with the consumption of copious quantities of alcohol in order to have what is considered to be 'a good time' - the one thing which puts me off going to them.
You don't need to be drunk to enjoy Offline but if you're too uptight to enjoy an amazing line up of acts put on for free, you'd best stay at home with Strictly Come Dancing.

You don't need to be drunk to enjoy Offline but if you're too uptight to enjoy an amazing line up of acts put on for free, you'd best stay at home with Strictly Come Dancing.

That would involve watching TV. I have better things to do than vegetate.

My own difficulty with the Offline events is that they're put on at the time most convenient to the majority of people. I don't have a problem with that, but I just, from a personal point of view, wouldn't like to be out in Brixton late (like after 11pm) trying to get home, or out that late full stop - I'm not a late night person. No, I'm not asking you to change anything about the Offline events, just understand that I have a reason for not going.

... and in all honesty, I'm not sure anyone else would be bothered that I don't go either.

Yes.

(Jeez, I'm only back for five minutes after a month-long self imposed ban) and am right into a 2 versus 9 thread. Nothing changes.

To be fair I think we're starting it really.

Still we can't have the Stockwell Johnny come-here latelys ignore the fine live music venues already available in SW2, such as the esteemed Windmill or even the surprisingly roomy and well equipped Hootahob.

Back
Top Bottom