Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bob Dylan at 80 - favourite song?

now here's the spooky thing with Dylan. The alien like quality. In this clip he "codeswitches", i.e. switches between different tones and phrasing in each song, so he literally inhabits a new person in each song. Like acting. But here's the twist - each song sounds true to someone, authentic - true to someone, but not Dylan but all the same it is dylan. He is never singing from "himself" but then who is that? He is best described as an actor in my view. They are not particularly amazing songs, just little clips, all from one after show hotel session.

here's another one for my theory that he is an actor. that's not dylan singing, but whoever it is i believe him. he can switch modes to different characters and sound totally authentic. this fucking vocal

having a little dylan revival. my two hour commute was consumed by him. i love him. i think he is truly one of the greatest artists that has ever lived. i understand the hyperbole in that statement, but i think it's true. dickens, shakespeare, keats, picasso, monet, wordsworth, etc....amongst that mob.

having a little dylan revival. my two hour commute was consumed by him. i love him. i think he is truly one of the greatest artists that has ever lived. i understand the hyperbole in that statement, but i think it's true. dickens, shakespeare, keats, picasso, monet, wordsworth, etc....amongst that mob.

Mob is great but a bit exclusive

Mob is great but a bit exclusive
yeh i just mean the socially accepted masters of the arts. people associated wtih each discipline who are seen as the greats. i think dylan deserves to be seen as one of human history's greatest artists. There's something alien about the man, tbh. I've spent decades trying to figure it out. A true shapeshifter/actor.

sorry cringey fan boy hyperbole, just listenign this mornign on the bus and walk to work i remembered how much i love him

yeh i just mean the socially accepted masters of the arts. people associated wtih each discipline who are seen as the greats. i think dylan deserves to be seen as one of human history's greatest artists. There's something alien about the man, tbh. I've spent decades trying to figure it out. A true shapeshifter/actor.

Not sure what socially acceptable pertains to but would add to the totally subjective non-binding list

Austen
Achebe
Zephaniah
Marley
Mitchell
Coltrane, Alice
Kahlo
Simone
O'Brien

other masters are available.

In the meantime, which Dylan should purchase next, Street Legal or Infidels?

Not sure what socially acceptable pertains to but would add to the totally subjective non-binding list

Austen
Achebe
Zephaniah
Marley
Mitchell
Coltrane, Alice
Kahlo
Simone
O'Brien

other masters are available.

In the meantime, which Dylan should purchase next, Street Legal or Infidels?
yes, my list was not binding. And yes, the judgement of art is entirely a subjective experience. But there are "masters" - historically critically-acclaimed figures in all disciplines. A whole other realm of debate is open to why they are considered as such, the power dynamics behind aesthetic and artistic appreciation, who gets to decide on who goes on what list, etc (in Dylan's case the nobel prize for literature).

my point is that i would consider that dylan's talent should be as well regarded as say a Monet or a Dickens - and i consider that of itself. Like all great artists, he's as close to a pure aesthetic, a creator of beauty - whether that beauty is a pure part of the universe or socially constructed (but that is part of the universe too), either way, he's got it. as I would a monet, shakespeare etc. Of course a subjective judgement - but not all art will be appreciated by mankind in a flat, neutral way. adn who would want it to. Kant's intuition thing comes to mind! Dylan is A giant of the humanities!!!!!!

Last edited:
I started out on Burgundy
But soon hit the harder stuff.
No one told me the game would get rough.
I'm going back to New York city
I do believe I have had enough.

Jim Dandy smiled
He'd never learned to swim
Saw the little crippled child
And gave his seat to him.

He saw the starlight shinning
Streaming from the east
Death was on the rampage
But his heart was now at peace.

Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drownin' in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothin' but affection
for all those who've sailed with me

It seems like I started this thread and didn't actually read it till now :facepalm:

But I agree BigMoaner, Dylan is up there with the greats. I don't actually consider him a musician as such. I mean he can strum a guitar, but then so can I. He's a poet. And one of the best in history. I used to read his lyrics just as poetry when I was 15 and stoned and was just mindblown. If anything, the guitar distracts. Leave that to Jimi to interpret.

Sorry having a Dylan adoration day.
It seems like I started this thread and didn't actually read it till now :facepalm:

But I agree BigMoaner, Dylan is up there with the greats. I don't actually consider him a musician as such. I mean he can strum a guitar, but then so can I. He's a poet. And one of the best in history. I used to read his lyrics just as poetry when I was 15 and stoned and was just mindblown. If anything, the guitar distracts. Leave that to Jimi to interpret.
I would honestly say he is more of an actor, an impersonator. He's inhabits different subjectivities. He is bizarre. I don't think his lyrics are primary. I think the phrasing is primary.

Sorry having a Dylan adoration day.

I would honestly say he is more of an actor, an impersonator. He's inhabits different subjectivities. He is bizarre. I don't think his lyrics are primary. I think the phrasing is primary.

Do you prefer his version of All Along the Watchtower or Jimi's? (I think even Dylan said Jimi's was better)

My theory is that because it's clear he can't really sing, he has to develop the phrasing. The pauses.

This is not singing. I don't know what the fuck it is. Alien shit.

If today was not a crooked highway
If tonight was not a crooked trail
If tomorrow wasn't such a long time
Then lonesome would mean nothing to you at all
Yes and only if my own true love was waitin'
And if I could hear her heart a-softly poundin'
Yes, only if she was lyin' by me
Then I'd lie in my bed once again

I can't see my reflection in the waters
I can't speak the sounds that show no pain
I can't hear the echo of my footsteps
Or remember the sound of my own name
Yes, and only if my own true love was waitin'
And if I could hear her heart a-softly poundin'
Yes and only if she was lyin' by me

There's beauty in the silver, singin' river
There's beauty in the sunrise in the sky
But none of these and nothing else can touch the beauty
That I remember in my true love's eyes
Yes and only if my own true love was waitin'
I could hear her heart a softly poundin'
Yes and only if she was lyin' by me

I go through phases with Dylan, but I always love "Idiot Wind" - I have two versions that vary quite starkly in mood. But essentially I like most of what he did in the 60s, and some of what he did in the 70s and 80s.

I go through phases with Dylan, but I always love "Idiot Wind" - I have two versions that vary quite starkly in mood. But essentially I like most of what he did in the 60s, and some of what he did in the 70s and 80s.
really enjoying the 90s to today period. obv he will never reach those early years, but there's some absoloute gems on any of the albums in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom