Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

blokes, would you be willing to accept restrictions on your behaviour...

well?

• yes, definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
None of this is addressing the real problem.
tbh, though, it's all a good man can do. Good men can't modify their own behaviour in a way that stops bad men from doing bad things. All they can do is make sure they are not alarming others unnecessarily.

Other than a general 'we should look out for each other more', which I would always say, what is there?

That's irrelevant
I don't think it is. There comes a point on the danger scale where it's really not appropriate to chivalrously offer to walk a stranger home for their own good. And that slides down the scale to a point where it's only really you that is the potential threat, so you need to stop being it.

I don't think it is. There comes a point on the danger scale where it's really not appropriate to chivalrously offer to walk a stranger home for their own good. And that slides down the scale to a point where it's only really you that is the potential threat, so you need to stop being it.
Right. So I live somewhere where I am concerned for the safety of my female housemates when they walk home after dark. Where someone was recently violently attacked in the park opposite. Etc etc. So it's still better for me to disappear off into the distance deliberately rather than maintain the distance that I was at anyway?

And I'm the potential danger? Wtf?

In the eye of the stranger you don't know. The whole point of this is that this is someone who doesn't know you.
Yes I know!

Look, I'm several feet behind this person. Walking at roughly the same pace. Somewhere that isn't particularly safe and is also frequented by kerb crawlers etc. So the safest thing for me to do is ensure I disappear entirely?

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, the priorities are completely back to front

Look, I'm several feet behind this person. Walking at roughly the same pace. Somewhere that isn't particularly safe and is also frequented by kerb crawlers etc. So the safest thing for me to do is ensure I disappear entirely?
I don't want to second-guess what women posting here will say, but if I were several feet behind a woman on a street at night with nobody or hardly anyone else around, I would want to change that situation as soon as I could. By crossing over or overtaking. Given that I walk quickly normally, slowing down would be a bit creepy too, I think. (Although if she were walking very quickly, I might let her ease away.)

Well you do as you like mate. It would feel pretty irresponsible to get as far away as possible from a lone female in that situation in my part of town. Maybe it's different wherever you are.

Well you do as you like mate. It would feel pretty irresponsible to get as far away as possible from a lone female in that situation in my part of town. Maybe it's different wherever you are.
But now you're dangerously close to saying that you don't think women should be out on their own there.

i normally find women walking on the same side of the road i live on as i'm approaching where i live, when it would look really weird crossing the road from behind them and crossing back in front of them

i normally find women walking on the same side of the road i live on as i'm approaching where i live, when it would look really weird crossing the road from behind them and crossing back in front of them
oh bloody hell. So you use your initiative. Fuck me, we're talking general principles here.

But now you're dangerously close to saying that you don't think women should be out on their own there.
What? I'm saying nothing of the sort!

I'm saying that some of the roads near me where a lone woman and I are walking, regardless of how close I am, would be measurably less safe for that woman if I were to disappear. It'd probably be less safe for me if she did the same to be honest.

You're talking about perception of danger. I'm talking about the reality of it. Someone had their nose bitten off opposite my house the other week. A man was raped at knife point last year within a mile.

tumblr_mrweq5hVVW1rs7uego5_400.gif

We already accept restrictions on our behaviour to make people feel more comfortable in other ways, so why not this?

We queue in an accepting stupor at an airport to be all but accused of potential terrorism, for example. How is being implicitly accused of child molestation worse than being implicitly accused of blowing people to bits?

For those of us who work with children, it has worrying implications. Last week, I felt uncomfortable about hugging back children who were upset at me leaving my job. There is nothing wrong with comforting an upset child, but men have to be circumspect about doing so, at the child's expense. That surely isn't fair?

You're talking about perception of danger. I'm talking about the reality of it. Someone had their nose bitten off opposite my house the other week. A man was raped at knife point last year within a mile.

Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom