Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Would you have fought for your country in World War One?

Would you have fought for 'your country' in World War One?

• Total voters
I think it's safe to say I'd have dodged the draft. When panicked rumours of conscription swirled my teenage circle at the start of the first Gulf War. I started planning to run. In WWI itself my great (great?)grandfather dodged it. Ditched the army, went AWOL and joined (I think) the merchant navy under a false name.
My grandpa (who was in WW2) said when the first Gulf War started if they reintroduced conscription he'd give me the money to get out of the country. His dad was a miner in Derbyshire during WW1 so didn't have to go.

My dads dad was in the Army. He served for three years and signed up because all the village did. From what I understand he was more concerned about being called a conchy and receiving white feathers, but he came home unscathed physically. He died in the Spanish flu pandemic in 1919/20. What a fucking waste.
The teenage me would probably have signed up, purely down to the same pressures and bravado.

I'd have joined the Air Force and become an ace fighter pilot with many kills including the Red Baron. I'd have then gone on to become a huge celebrity after the war and would have written lots of books and appeared in films. I would go and live in Hollywood and marry Joan Crawford.
The RAF wasn’t formed till 1918. You would have had to join the army or Royal Naval Air Service.

I wouldn't as myself, it being a sick game by the ruling class and all that. But my great grandfather signed up, and that's no particular surprise as his life didn't seem to be going that well (the only public record of him is of a conviction for a minor theft). So he probably thought it would improve his life if anything. Instead it ended it. I used to think his death caused a lot of the multi-generational trauma in the family but these days I suspect it pre-dated that. So yes, as a version of me born back then, I would have gone.

My great Grandad apparantly shot himself in the foot to get out of the trenches. It worked somehow and he got away with it and we only found out when my Nan issued a tearful confession about a shameful family secret on her deathbed a couple of years ago.
Presumably you were all like, well good on him!

I'm disappointed to find that the Peep Show "I can't believe you wouldn't be in the French Resistance with me" bit doesn't seem to be on youtube anywhere, it feels appropriate for this thread.

From an early age, I'd been told that my dad's dad signed up underage, such was his ardent fervour to serve King and country. He was born in May 1900, and I was told he signed up in 1916 when he'd just turned 16, having lied about his age. The story was that the family were horrified, but pulled strings (they were well connected) to get him posted to Egypt, well away from any fighting and risk of death.

Only it turns out this was all complete and utter bollocks. I found his service records online last year, and he only joined up in May 1918, once he'd turned 18, and he saw no fighting as he was still in training by the time the war ended.

Fascinating in a way though. It seems he spent his life lying about signing up underage, presumably for the social kudos it gained him.

As for me, bollocks would I have signed up. I'm autistic enough for the whole social exclusion thing from being a conchie not to have bothered me at all, and no way would I want to be sent abroad to be shot at in the mud.

With my family's past, I'd probably have ended up working in a shipyard or as a merchant seaman instead of going to war if I'd been 18 in 1914, though I might well have been tempted to join mates going off for an exciting adventure fighting in Europe for a few months.

If I was transported back to that time knowing what we know, I'd be a lot more inclined to fuck the whole thing off and spend the war years in Spain or another neutral country.

From an early age, I'd been told that my dad's dad signed up underage, such was his ardent fervour to serve King and country. He was born in May 1900, and I was told he signed up in 1916 when he'd just turned 16, having lied about his age. The story was that the family were horrified, but pulled strings (they were well connected) to get him posted to Egypt, well away from any fighting and risk of death.

Only it turns out this was all complete and utter bollocks. I found his service records online last year, and he only joined up in May 1918, once he'd turned 18, and he saw no fighting as he was still in training by the time the war ended.

Fascinating in a way though. It seems he spent his life lying about signing up underage, presumably for the social kudos it gained him.

As for me, bollocks would I have signed up. I'm autistic enough for the whole social exclusion thing from being a conchie not to have bothered me at all, and no way would I want to be sent abroad to be shot at in the mud.

My father did national service (and stayed on a bit after) and went to Malaya during the troubles there, when I was young I assumed he was in the jungle fighting, a belief he never did anything to dispel. When I got older and chatted to his mum about it, she laughed and said after a lot of effort on his part he'd got picked for the athletics team as soon as he arrived and spent his whole time there in some base in a safe city practicing hurdles and running round in circles.

He said after Malaya he nearly went to Kenya as some colonial policeman or something but decided against it. Presumably as they'd expect him to actually do something dangerous rather than drink beer and do some jogging in a safe area the bluffing dickhead.

Last edited:
Pretty vacuous question really...

Firstly because the 'you' of 100+ years ago wouldn't be you, it would be a person born and brought up in very different social conditions, and secondly because even if 'you' managed to get transported back in time, you'd find yourself in an environment where most of society looked at concientious objectors rather more harshly than our current society looks at child sex offenders. (That's not equating them by the way...)

You might be all big and brave in August 1914 with your 'no, you're all wrong' attitude, but I'd put money on four years of being treated like a leprous nonce softening your cough...

It's almost impossible to overstate the immense social pressures to which men were subjected. Your nonce comparison is very accurate. My maternal grandfather deserted from the RN in WW2 and my grandmother still got shit off other women in the street over it in the 70s.

Given that most people at the time were been willing to sign up, it’s surely quite a bold to assertion to claim that you would somehow have been in a small minority.

Most of my forebears were Irish. However, they were unfortunately very proud of the empire as far as I am aware and alot of the men were in the British army. That said, I have always been anti-war and somewhat of a revolutionary. Who knows what the version of me all that time ago would have done though.

Last edited:
Given that most people at the time were been willing to sign up, it’s surely quite a bold to assertion to claim that you would somehow have been in a small minority.
If you lived in Ireland and joined up you would have been in a small minority in that country. The willingness to join up probably varied around mainland UK, and between urban and rural. What is certain is that by time conscription was brought in war fever and war fervour was on the decline. That's why they needed conscription.

I'd have got stuck in at the GPO or Bolands Mill and the Easter Rising would now be known as the Easter Very Successful Revolution instead.

Joking aside just been chatting to my mum (she has been doing family history stuff) and apparently my great Grandmother's 2 brothers were in the Rising so may not be so far from the (alternative history) truth.

Not sure real me would have the bottle for it though.

Thank fuck the army never needed to call upon the U75 regiment.

Within hours the group would have been riven with infighting, petty but never ending arguments and would have simultaneously insisted on over thinking the job at hand: which was to run toward a certain death over muddy fields on the orders of a public school boy general.

Thank fuck the army never needed to call upon the U75 regiment.

Within hours the group would have been riven with infighting, petty but never ending arguments and would have simultaneously insisted on over thinking the job at hand: which was to run toward a certain death over muddy fields on the orders of a public school boy general.
Judging by the poll results we might have been creating a better world instead. 12 of us anyway.

dons fatigues and supercilious frown

and how will you protect your 'better world' from evil powers that would bring it all down, eh? eh? eh? You can't handle the truth etc

Back
Top Bottom