Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Blade Runner 2049

I like the films I've seen him in but is he suitable in this universe? Then again, I recall that Gerard Depardieu was once considered for the sequel...
Very versatile actor and nothing is known about his role so far. If Villeneuve has cast him, then he's probably right for the role.

People who are under the misapprehension that Gosling can't act have only seen him in the Refn films where he gave deliberately minimalist, stylised performances which perfectly fitted those films. He was very different in more naturalistic dramas like Half Nelson and Blue Valentine and equally good in comedy roles like Crazy, Stupid, Love and Lars and the Real Girl.

I doubt Depardieu was ever seriously considered for a sequel.

The art work looks nice, very much in keeping with the original. Best of all is the news that Scott won't direct it so he can't "pull a Prometheus" on this. Denis Villeneuve is a great choice. He isn't a studio hack, he comes more from an art house background and he is one of the most interesting directors currently around. His previous films are very atmospheric and they have a noir quality which makes me think he could really do this justice.

Last edited:
Very versatile actor and nothing is known about his role so far. If Villeneuve has cast him, then he's probably right for the role.

People who are under the misapprehension that Gosling can't act have only seen him in the Refn films where he gave deliberately minimalist, stylised performances which perfectly fitted those films. He was very different in more naturalistic dramas like Half Nelson and Blue Valentine and equally good in comedy roles like Crazy, Stupid, Love and Lars and the Real Girl.

I doubt Depardieu was ever seriously considered for a sequel.

The art work looks nice, very much in keeping with the original. Best of all is the news that Scott won't direct it so he can't "pull a Prometheus" on this. Denis Villeneuve is a great choice. He isn't a studio hack, he comes more from an art house background and he is one of the most interesting directors currently around. His previous films are very atmospheric and they have a noir quality which makes me think he could really do this justice.

I feel reassured, cheers.

I thought he was good in The Believer as well - pretty scary portrayal of the US neo-nazi milieu and not such a contrived plot as based on an actual case....

Deckard clearly not a replicant then, the andy's don't get to be old warriors shakily holding a pistol. Unless he is a secret model, Tyrell Corp Nexus 9, the future of replicant containment strategy

I really hope this lives up to it and is worth the wait. The casting looks promising and I'm with Reno on the Gosling front. Jóhann Jóhannsson - so the soundtrack is also promising (and one of the key elements behind my Bladerunner admiration).

Deckard clearly not a replicant then, the andy's don't get to be old warriors shakily holding a pistol. Unless he is a secret model, Tyrell Corp Nexus 9, the future of replicant containment strategy

of course he's a special model ffs just as rachael was < new BR must have shown up to retire the old on the run BR - new BR under the impression that himself aint a replicant just as deckard is/possibly was

of course he's a special model ffs just as rachael was < new BR must have shown up to retire the old on the run BR - new BR under the impression that himself aint a replicant just as deckard is/possibly was
Only in the theatrical cut the fact that Rachel is a prototype could mean that she has longer to live (that's something Deckard hopes in a VO at the end) and only in the Directors Cut it is implied that Deckard could be a replicant. Neither is confirmed, not even in the versions which imply these things. Never understood why so many people feel uncomfortable with ambiguities in films.

I've read the arguments both ways and still cannot say 100% deffo replicant. Watched various cuts, more than once.

Reno

it makes for enjoyable geek arguing. ymmv on that particular form of entertainment

I always wondered why people (including Ridley Scott, but not the screenwriter or Ford) think Deckard definitely being a replicant is a good idea apart from that many people think that twist endings in themselves are awfully clever.

I'm fine with it being a possibility, but I'm not fine with it being a certainty. Deckard being human has about it the irony that the machines evolve to becoming more human than the real thing.

With Deckard being a replicant you end up with story about a machine falling In love with another machine rather than one about a man going against everything he believes in. One merely hinges around a plot twist, the other one around an allegory for discrimination and how prejudices work out when one ends up becoming personally involved with "the other". Decked rediscovers his humanity by falling in love with a machine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom