Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black Turtle Beans

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
I got some of these free with a food order. Have never cooked with them before.

Any recipes, tips and advice welcome.

Once soaked and boiled, do I just use them as any other bean?

I use generic black beans in chicken chilli. Also add some sweetcorn and strips of red pepper; the contrasting colours and shapes and textures seem to work quite well. They’re much nicer than kidney beans

They work well in lots of dishes that you'd normally put kidney beans or black beans in - thinking particularly Mexican or Cuban dishes, and slow cooked things (they are a bit less mushy when cooked for long periods).
A lot of recipes tend to say "tin of red kidney beans" when traditionally it would be whichever dried beans you had to hand that you could cook and add, and black turtle beans would be one of those options for a lot of dishes from those regions.

Black turtle beans = black beans. Great for soups or mixed rice & bean dishes; they have a particularly rich & satistfying flavour to to their protein but (like many other beans) - if you're a non-vegetarian they really do benefit from a bit of some kind of cured pig - bacon, lardons, guanciale, hock, knuckle etc - in the pot if you're doing something slow-cooked.

Black turtle beans = black beans. Great for soups or mixed rice & bean dishes; they have a particularly rich & satistfying flavour to to their protein but (like many other beans) - if you're a non-vegetarian they really do benefit from a bit of some kind of cured pig - bacon, lardons, guanciale, hock, knuckle etc - in the pot if you're doing something slow-cooked.

Black beans and black turtle beans are often interchangeable, but afaik they aren't exactly the same thing.
Like - all black turtle beans are black beans, but not all black beans are black turtle beans.

I made Cuban rice & black beans (without bacon, as it was for both of us so I needed a meat-free version) not long ago as I wanted to try out some Cuban cooking.

I used this recipe sans bacon and using the method for dried beans using dried black turtle beans as that is what I had in.

I had it with ropa vieja (a Cuban beef stew) but for OH I did spiced grilled courgette as per this recipe (you could use any type of squash though):

In a similar vein, you could also go with something like Cuban black beans served with something like yuca con mojo if you are OK with cassava root prep, it's about the right time of year to be able to get Seville oranges here if I am not mistaken, which means you can make Cuban mojo marinade with the properly sour oranges instead of messing about with a mix of orange and lime.

I make something like this which always turns out great and is good for batch cooking & freezing, and using up random odds and ends of veg (the actual recipe I used to use has been deleted from the website, it was pretty similar though apart from using a bit of balsamic instead of cocoa. You can change the spices and/or veg about anyway depending on taste or what you have)

Back
Top Bottom