Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black Pudding

Waitrose.
Just been to Waitrose at Canary Wharf to get Bury black pudding, scallops and smoked streaky bacon for a snack this afternoon .Apparently they no longer stock it.:(:(. Got some MacSweens instead which I dont think I've ever had before. Hope it's just as good.

Just been to Waitrose at Canary Wharf to get Bury black pudding, scallops and smoked streaky bacon for a snack this afternoon .Apparently they no longer stock it.:(:(. Got some MacSweens instead which I dont think I've ever had before. Hope it's just as good.
The Bury black pudding company does online sales if your interested. They'd definitely deliver to the London area.

It was shit.:mad::mad:

How about deep-fried black pudding - anyone tried it?

Wiki_black_battered.jpg

That is a black pudding pudding, not a proper black pudding and it is a staple of Scottish chippers. Much like "Haggis" Pudding, they are a pale imitation of the real thing - I last had one just after Hogmanay (due to a fuck-up in the chipper where they gave me the wrong order!) but TBH, even the best of them fail to touch proper Marag Dubh.

10264082.61fba40c.2048.jpg

Served with good bacon and pickled pears and peaches - which may well already be posted on a previous Black Pudding thread!

Am convinced, vegans/vegetarians aside, that the people who say they don't like black pudding just haven't tried it. Like haggis, which I thought would be minging for years and involved sheep stomach and all that but is fucking lovely

I used to like black pudding but it doesn't like me anymore :( It might be that particular brand I bought last so I have bought some from the butcher to try but it just gives me sore guts now :(

I'm surprised at all the love there seems to be for Bury black pudding here, which I find to be underseasoned and too dry (needs more fat).

The best British offerings, imo, are Scottish. Charles McLeod's Stornoway black pudding is the ultimate stand-out. Well seasoned and crumbles nicely but a pain to get hold of (order 1.5kg rolls online, then slice and freeze it). A newish one that's appeared in Morrisons recently, Simon Howie's Wee Black Pudding, is also really very good.

Last edited:
On a spur of the moment thing, I got some Bury Black pudding company BP from our local Morrisons for BP and scallops

Fried in olive oil and a good nob of butter to a crispy crust, when combined with the seared scallops, absolutely stunning

I'm fairly sure it's not "THE" black pudding from Bury that has been mentioned previously in the thread, which I'm pretty sure would be this lot

Nevertheless, it was, for my taste, pretty damned spot on

The best British offerings, imo, are Scottish. Charles McLeod's Stornoway black pudding is the ultimate stand-out. Well seasoned and crumbles nicely but a A newish one that's appeared in Morrisons recently, Simon Howie's Wee Black Pudding, is also really very good.

Good shout. The Simon Howie black and white puddings are both excellent and good value. Been snapping them up recently. Just got a whole fresh black pudding from the Morrisons deli recently which looks less of a Bury style and im gonna do a Spanish stew with it. Will report back.

When there is no black pudding or it doesnt look good quality enough I have bought haggis before and sliced it and fried it. Next step is to try deep frying it...

Tried Waitrose sliced black pudding this morning, not bad but it loses massive points for coming wrapped in plastic to hold it together :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom