Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black tea (bag) that doesnt leave 'scum' in the cup

ska invita

back on the other side
Im looking for black tea, that i can drink without milk or lemon, preferably in a bag (though im starting to think might have to go loose leaf) that doesnt leave all the crap in the cup. its a bit rank

Green tea doesnt do this, nor does some turkish loose leaf tea ive got. Herbal teas dont do it. But black tea does.

Ive found this in regards to what creates the scum:

Q: When making teabag tea, an iridescent film forms on the top, and then clings to the side in the form of a brown scum while the cup is drained. What's causing it - the tea, or the London water?

A:
It never fails to amaze me that such seemingly simple questions can be the cause of real scientific controversy. Up to the mid-1990s scientists believed the scum on a cup of tea came from a thin layer of a waxy substance that coated the leaves and helped to waterproof them. When the leaves were put in hot water, the film melted to form a thin oily layer that floated on the surface of the tea. However, in 1994, chemists from Imperial College did some very careful research. They sampled the scum from cups of tea made in different ways and with different types of water, and did detailed chemical analyses to find that a key component of the scum layer is calcium. The scum, or at least 15% of it, is calcium carbonate - the rest being a lot of complex organic chemicals. In other words, it is not oil.

The major finding from this ongoing research is that for the scum to form, the water needs to contain a lot of calcium ions (more prevalent in hard water areas), while the tea leaves supply the organic chemicals.

So the answer to your question is that the scum comes from the combination of the chemicals in the tea with those in the water. To reduce the scum you could use a water softener, add lemon (or any other acid) or move to Manchester!

---

So this may well be a London problem.
But anyone got any advice?

just wash your mug after you have a drink
it's a hard water area, you can't avoid the scum, even with a fancy filter imo

I've come to realise that the Formosa oolong I drink is actually almost black tea and I add a bit of keemun to make it darker.
We have very hard water in Bristol and I don't ever see scum with my blend.

Some oolongs are almost green and quite a lot taste odd to me ...

We don't have this problem. I use Tetley for everyday tea, Mrs Dess drinks Lapsang Souchong, and we also use Earl Grey loose leaf. We don't get scum. We do live in a very soft water area though.

No it's just a function of the cultivar and processing.
My parents were obsessed with the scum on their horrible typhoo loose leaf whereas I've never seen scum on my Oolong.

One thing I would like to find out is whether it's just the climate in India that stops them growing non-industrial tea...

Fill your kettle from a soft water area and then make your tea at home ska invita

Hard%20Water%20Map%20of%20Uk.jpg

Im looking for black tea, that i can drink without milk or lemon, preferably in a bag (though im starting to think might have to go loose leaf) that doesnt leave all the crap in the cup. its a bit rank

Green tea doesnt do this, nor does some turkish loose leaf tea ive got. Herbal teas dont do it. But black tea does.

Ive found this in regards to what creates the scum:

Q: When making teabag tea, an iridescent film forms on the top, and then clings to the side in the form of a brown scum while the cup is drained. What's causing it - the tea, or the London water?

A:
It never fails to amaze me that such seemingly simple questions can be the cause of real scientific controversy. Up to the mid-1990s scientists believed the scum on a cup of tea came from a thin layer of a waxy substance that coated the leaves and helped to waterproof them. When the leaves were put in hot water, the film melted to form a thin oily layer that floated on the surface of the tea. However, in 1994, chemists from Imperial College did some very careful research. They sampled the scum from cups of tea made in different ways and with different types of water, and did detailed chemical analyses to find that a key component of the scum layer is calcium. The scum, or at least 15% of it, is calcium carbonate - the rest being a lot of complex organic chemicals. In other words, it is not oil.

The major finding from this ongoing research is that for the scum to form, the water needs to contain a lot of calcium ions (more prevalent in hard water areas), while the tea leaves supply the organic chemicals.

So the answer to your question is that the scum comes from the combination of the chemicals in the tea with those in the water. To reduce the scum you could use a water softener, add lemon (or any other acid) or move to Manchester!

---

So this may well be a London problem.
But anyone got any advice?

Regardless, loose tea is far superior to any tea bag. Do it. Loose Tea

i see they have no water in scotland :(
According to my F-i-L the water comes straight off the hills where it's very cold, and that's why his shower doesn't work very well. It's a Scottish problem apparently. Same sort of thing with electricity in Scotland. It's weaker because so many people are using it. That's why you have to use timers when cooking. You can't rely on the temperature due to weak electricity. He has some odd ideas.

Put the milk in immediately after the hot water (ie before you've squeezed and taken out the bag). It doesn't stop the film every time but it really helps :thumbs:

Put the milk in immediately after the hot water (ie before you've squeezed and taken out the bag). It doesn't stop the film every time but it really helps :thumbs:

Thats the thing, I want to drink it black
i usually have with lemon which aslo helps, but i need a change

Back
Top Bottom