Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black Lives Matter demos and protests UK, 2020-2021

If throwing some plastic coke bottles and holding a few flares whilst chanting at the police (I was watching the Ruptly broadcast too) constitutes 'violence' then quite frankly any movement is up against it. Great action in Bristol today. Big up all BLM protesters right now - a proper raw unleashing of anger and frustration of how things still are and some of the liberal reaction as well as the right shows how uncomfortable it is for them.

Anyway, just popping my head around x
Hello. :)

Things near hollow. They really skimped on it. They couldn't get the working class of bristol to pay for it by subscription so they had to put their hands in their own pocket and cheaped out.
Reminds me of the civil war statues in the US South, which are generally also pretty cheap and even generic, and erected some time after the events for political reasons - actually starting at around the same time as the Colston one (1895).

eta: Wikipedia isn't telling me who actually had it put up but it has been updated with the current location.

2724CBA2-ECF4-4F22-90FD-E7A47CF59F1C.jpeg

Reminds me of the civil war statues in the US South, which are generally also pretty cheap and even generic, and erected some time after the events for political reasons - actually starting at around the same time as the Colston one (1895).
Plenty of those statues actually used the same bloke in them - whether it was as a confederate or unionist memorial.

Waits for the Scum and the Hails reaction in the morning.. :D

the comments section of the Bristol Evening Post is usually full of racists (like many other papers). I expect they’ll be taking it well.

the comments section of the Bristol Evening Post is usually full of racists (like many other papers). I expect they’ll be taking it well.

tbf i want to see the push back from some quarters

I want to see their rage

if anything good comes from this year is it proving they have not won..

Last edited:
Pound to a penny A&SC puts more resources into unmasking today's dastardly statuecidal mob than they did investigating the attack on Marlon Thomas or the murder of Bijan Ebrahimi.

Bloody priti patel has been on tv calling it an act of sheer vandalism and 'utterly disgraceful'. She'd have been wise to just not say anything at all but of course she's an idiot so.

the women defended a policy that would of exluded her own family to entering the country

don't know much more you need to know that the women is a prick

Hmm. I went to the US embassy today but left pretty quickly, largely because covid. There were people handing out masks, and most people wearing them and being careful, but from Vauxhall onto Nine Elms Lane and down the slope you can't see the embassy, so inevitably everyone kept gradually moving forward, getting closer and closer together, and that made me too uncomfortable so i quit.
But the virus is hopefully a short term problem. More concerning, once onto NEL you're funneled into what is fundamentally a long, claustrophobic queue, with no way to filter out, in fact no way out at all except to go back in the opposite direction to everyone else. Today that felt like a rotten breach of solidarity, on another day the constrictions could create seriously dangerous conditons, where people panic and could get crushed. It's certainly not somewhere I'd want to be if everything kicked off, there's nowhere to run, nowhere to scatter, the sight lines are terrible. Nor would I take children there.

The embassy is on a main road strip between the river and a railway embankment, a position almost designed for controlling or possibly even kettling a large protest. Right now there's building work and hoardings everywhere, when the huge towers are finished that may open out a bit, but from the dogs home to Vauxhall only NEL, the river footpath and one small tunnel under the railway need to be sealed off for a perfect kettle for many thousands of people. That won't have escaped the notice of the police, they'll know they hold all the cards when protests are held there.

The crowd was lovely but I came away feeling a bit despondent.

1591555133277.png
the trees are pretty much at the riverbank.

Back
Top Bottom