Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

Don't know if this has been posted already, but I've fairly recently swapped from BitLord to µTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/) - it's by far the best Windows bittorrent client I've used to date. Very lightweight (just the one .exe) but also a very nice user interface and polished all-round.

Divisive Cotton said:
yeah what the hell was you uploading anyway that is 55Gb!
Some not very good xvid movie if I remember correctly. My ratio got ridiculous.
I am lucky enough to have a fibre optic connection to my house.

I'm already a member there belboid but I can't get the port-forwarding to work through my router with them using my ABC client...so I can't share. The blacklist the default bittorrent port and although my a/c is still active on there I expect the chop any day...

pm me your addy and I'll send you invite anyway...

oo ta, muchly. you shouldn't nede to do the port forwarding for KG, it helps with the speeds but it isnt essential.

I'll explain more by PM!

I'm sorry if this request is a bit obscure........

I need bittorrents for English Teaching books, such as Reward, Headway, and any Business English material.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

http://www.gfxnews.ru/ Registration will be available from 02.08.2006 07:00 GMT till 03.08.2006 07:00 GMT has loads of stock art and graphic applications. They have a fearsome ratio requirement in order to try and get "donations" but if you read the rules/FAQ and keep seeding a file you should be OK. Just don't go mad with the downloads when you first join.

obanite said:
Don't know if this has been posted already, but I've fairly recently swapped from BitLord to µTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/) - it's by far the best Windows bittorrent client I've used to date. Very lightweight (just the one .exe) but also a very nice user interface and polished all-round.

Thanks for that recommendation - it works like a dream. Anyone else who uses Azuerus - switch to this - much smoother and quicker. Voted best client by the users of Oink.

BootyLove said:
Thanks for that recommendation - it works like a dream. Anyone else who uses Azuerus - switch to this - much smoother and quicker. Voted best client by the users of Oink.

I've just changed but there are a few torrents left on Azureus that I need to keep going (ratio is piss poor on oink at the moment). Can I import them to utorrent?

I don't see why not, just stop them and then open the torrent file in utorrent and point to the downloaded file. If you set your 'currently downloading folde'r the same as it is in Az - it should carry on... if they are just for seeding then that should be even easier.

BootyLove said:
I don't see why not, just stop them and then open the torrent file in utorrent and point to the downloaded file. If you set your 'currently downloading folde'r the same as it is in Az - it should carry on... if they are just for seeding then that should be even easier.

Cool, I'll give it a go tonight.

I have another BT question though.

I've been with Oink for about a month now. D/led about 3Gig. Problem is, my upload is about 150meg, so my ratio is rubbish (0.06). I leave my torrents going for ages but the people at Oink are such good sharers that I'm sharing files with 300 other seeders and maybe 1 or 2 leechers and my ratio is showing no signs of going up.

Every other BT site I've used have had loads of leechers, so I've only had to seed for a couple of hours to get my ratio up to 1.

Once I hit 5gig, my ratio needs to be 0.5 or something or I'll get banned, so I've stopped d/ling for the time being and am just seeding but with so many seeds on the network, I can't see how I'm ever going to get anywhere near a ratio of 1.

What can I do??? Help me urbanites, you're my only hope!

The best thing to do is download those files which are likely to be downloaded for a long while. Some sites will list the most leeched torrents (fewer seeders) and you'll also learn to predict them.

Best one is to download some massive image, like a dvd at 4gb and seed that for a long while. This will not only boost that ratio, but you'll also have a decent GB seeded in your ratio, which will keep you going for a while.

souljacker said:
Cool, I'll give it a go tonight.

I have another BT question though.

I've been with Oink for about a month now. D/led about 3Gig. Problem is, my upload is about 150meg, so my ratio is rubbish (0.06). I leave my torrents going for ages but the people at Oink are such good sharers that I'm sharing files with 300 other seeders and maybe 1 or 2 leechers and my ratio is showing no signs of going up.

Every other BT site I've used have had loads of leechers, so I've only had to seed for a couple of hours to get my ratio up to 1.

Once I hit 5gig, my ratio needs to be 0.5 or something or I'll get banned, so I've stopped d/ling for the time being and am just seeding but with so many seeds on the network, I can't see how I'm ever going to get anywhere near a ratio of 1.

What can I do??? Help me urbanites, you're my only hope!

you're fucked :) - you've got to treat Oink like a special place and not take the piss... just try and seed everything you've downloaded and see if you can fulfill any requests and upload them...

BootyLove said:
you're fucked :) - you've got to treat Oink like a special place and not take the piss... just try and seed everything you've downloaded and see if you can fulfill any requests and upload them...

But I cant see the requests because I dont have forum priveleges! EDIT: Ooops, I was looking in the wrong place. No requests I can actually fulfill though

So I did some searches for obscure Albums I have that I could up, but they are all on there already,

Grrr... I WANT TO SHARE!

Trying to finish off a big audiobook download which finished at 81%. The only place I can find with an active torrent of the same book is Demonoid. I assume I can just change the tracker location and pick up from where I left off?

Also I tried to register for an account at Demonoid but it never sent the confirmation - is it because you need to be invited?

no, I registered yesterday & got straight in. Which is handy as frigging oink seem to have deleted my account, despite me being within the correct ratio!

Yeah they finally sent me the confirmation and I am in.

I managed to set up the torrent anew as I couldn't work out how to get the new torrent to finish the old one. However the new torrent has now stalled and stopped - doh! So I deleted a 91% torrent and started from scratch and now have 30%.

Oh my GOD!! Hope this thread hasn't died a death.
After a good few years with Azureus, from back in the days when it was an almost unknown application, and I was nursing it along on an old lap top as it overheated the dear thing with its Java based memory blasts , to now when it has become one half of the torrent world ,I have finally given it a big good bye from my machine, moved to utorrent and welcomed a new world of behind the scenes torrenting. Never one to put fashion before loyalty I had come around to the conclusion that enough browser and application freezes in a couple of hours comp use were enough. When I checked the Az forums it seemed that the new zudeo azureus 3.2 might have the solution. After downloading it I had even more fuck ups, at which point it was blatently obvious that the time had come to walk away from the project . So thanks for changing the whole torrenting world but for the moment stay well clear of my machine. Thank you little blue frog. But for now BYE BYE.

Yeah I gave up on Azureus too, it was messing with some of my gamesm plus it seemed to be a bloated app. Anyway uTorrent is clearly best IME (for Win systems)

demonoid

Anyone out there feeling generous with an invite to Demonoid? Will trade invite to iptorrents, Bitgamer, digitalhive and tri-tavern if interested. PM if so.

Is there any way to change the ports utorrent uses? And is anyone aware of another stank alone torrent client?

mb1 said:
Is there any way to change the ports utorrent uses?
option==> Preferences==> connection . Just type in a new port number where it says "Port used for incoming connections.
There are loads of different applications you could use . Check out wikipedia.

Back
Top Bottom