Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

There's an Azureus client for OSX.

Not tried it, but I don't think the Java-related RAM issue that some XP users have mentioned is an issue on that OS. Might be worth a go.

Other than that, don't know, soz. Haven't tried any downloading on the Mac, yet.

Iam said:
There's an Azureus client for OSX.

Not tried it, but I don't think the Java-related RAM issue that some XP users have mentioned is an issue on that OS. Might be worth a go.

Other than that, don't know, soz. Haven't tried any downloading on the Mac, yet.

I concur: Azureus used to work well on my mac at my old job (where all the ports were open!), everything is firewalled now so can't dl at work. But it worked well except the version that would cause a kernel panic but they've fixed that now.

Azureus is the best for Macs if your machine has enough RAM.

Can anyone recommend a torrent site for exercise videos? Me and the mrs are feeling a bit out of shape...

(PM if you need invites to BitMe, BitMeTV, Karagarga, Demonoid or Oink)

alef said:
Azureus is the best for Macs if your machine has enough RAM.

Can anyone recommend a torrent site for exercise videos? Me and the mrs are feeling a bit out of shape...

(PM if you need invites to BitMe, BitMeTV, Karagarga, Demonoid or Oink)

Careful with your Oink invites - they'll ban YOU if the person you gave the invite to takes the piss.

Structaural said:
Careful with your Oink invites - they'll ban YOU if the person you gave the invite to takes the piss.

Thanks for the warning. I'm often surprised at how strict and uptight some torrent sites are considering it's all about piracy in the first place!

alef said:
Thanks for the warning. I'm often surprised at how strict and uptight some torrent sites are considering it's all about piracy in the first place!
The piracy scene has always been uptight and elitist. The way it is now is 1,000,000x more accessible than it was a decade ago, where you had to chat up people to get accounts on ftp's or bbs's unless you wanted to wait on an irc bot for three weeks before part one of your download started :)

subversplat said:
The piracy scene has always been uptight and elitist. The way it is now is 1,000,000x more accessible than it was a decade ago, where you had to chat up people to get accounts on ftp's or bbs's unless you wanted to wait on an irc bot for three weeks before part one of your download started :)
spot on about IRC! wowee is it ever 'i iz da server, you is n00ne'

The irony of the arrogance of people dealing in piracy was not lost on me.

utorrent is great. Tiny footprint (single executable!) and runs like lightning. Works fine on my Be box, just assign the application rule to your computer in the router's setup and you're away.

utorrent is infact so good that I have eschewed all the native linux torrent apps and use that through wine instead :D

kyser_soze said:
Will this present itself as obvious or do I have to dig around for it?
I found it very easy.

Go to your router in your web browser: http://192.168.1.254

Click "Home Network", click on your computer (they should all be in Windows names), choose "Assign a game or application to a local network device" at the bottom, choose BitTorrent and make sure your utorrent port is set to 6881.

Ah ha..I take it I can't change ports during a download? When I started the default port was open, but now it seems to have shut down while torrenting.

And OK, is there a sub menu where I can alter the port setting in explorer, or is it in uTorrent?

Sorry, but I'm about at my geek limit with this stuff...

AHHH, my geek limit has increased by the simple act of looking in the menus until I found 'Port'...:rolleyes:@self

Can somebody point me towards a guide or faq detailing how to burn downloaded torrents to DVD?

Quick question...why the up speed higher than the downspeed? Had this the last two torrents I've dl'd...is it cos there's loads of leechers on the files I;m torrenting? Also, what's a social share ratio? At the moment mines 1.103...

That's pretty much it - you start uploading from the moment you've got a part, so if there's a swarm of leechers and a few seeders you can end up uploading more than you download.

An acceptable ratio is 1.0 - you've uploaded and downloaded the same amount. Anything more than that depends how nice you feel like being. Some of mine are seeded to 38 :eek:

Anyone got an invite for bitme? Don't yet have any invites to offer in exchange though :(

If anyone is feeling generous it would be appreciated.

Sorry for not ploughing all the way through twenty odd pages but I just want to ask a couple of simple questions.

1) What is the best all round client?

2) What are the best sites to use that don't require an invite?

Please and thankyou :)

1) µTorrent for a client

2) Demonoid.com (films, apps, US TV, music, games etc) - free sign-up once a month.
UKNova.com (UK TV) - free registration whenever they have a cull of old accounts. just keep checking
isohunt.com - torrent search engine

all my other sites are members only and i'm all out of invites for now, except for Karagarga.com (non-mainstream and classic films, some music), one of which your welcome to if you want

longdog said:
Sorry for not ploughing all the way through twenty odd pages but I just want to ask a couple of simple questions.

1) What is the best all round client?

2) What are the best sites to use that don't require an invite?

Please and thankyou :)

1) uTorrent - but if not downloading much then Bit tornado is very quick.
2) miniova.org or piratebay.org

Back
Top Bottom