Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

kenny g said:
Do you get it on all files with all trackers or just with files associated with one particular tracker? Or, for that matter , one particular file?
The general answer would be that you are having a problem connecting to the tracker.
But I am sure you would have guessed that.
Sometimes trackers go down or alternatively the torrent may be associated with a tracker you have to be a member of to download. Sometimes people post private tracker torrents on public sites such as mininova. Anyway, give us some info including which tracker is involved and I can say more.

Was trying to download red dwarf 2 from minninover, and kept getting the meassage, other torrents were fine. I tried again from the pirate bay and got the same meassage with RD2. Been using bit torrent for over a year and never had it before.

Still won't work, I thought it cold be that too many people were downloading but I don't think that is right. I think there were 200 leachers and about 50 seeds.

Dandred said:
Was trying to download red dwarf 2 from minninover, and kept getting the meassage, other torrents were fine. I tried again from the pirate bay and got the same meassage with RD2. Been using bit torrent for over a year and never had it before.

Still won't work, I thought it cold be that too many people were downloading but I don't think that is right. I think there were 200 leachers and about 50 seeds.

It didn't work for me either from mininova BUT if you go to the original tracker's site at http://www2.digitaldistractions.org:8080/torrents2.php and type in "red dwarf" as your search item , for some reason "red dwarf 2" doesn't work, you can succesfully download the torrent which works fine here. I guess that the torrent over on mininova is corrupt.

Digital distractions is a good site but for some reason their torrents don't show up on search engines.

Dandred said:
Thank you :D :D :D

Edit: Won't work from there. Oh well.

Don't give up. :D
Have you removed the original torrent and file you downloaded from mininova? There may be a conflict between the two.
Do a search for " +-mininova.org-+ [www.BASTARD-TORRENTS.tk]Red Dwarf - Series 2.torrent" on your computer and delete it. Then try again from digital distractions.

I'm sure I deleted it from "my vidoes" last time I tried but I must have forgotten, just tried now and working fine. Cheers, and thanks for the line to the other torrent site nice to have a few bookmarked :) ;)

Dandred said:
I'm sure I deleted it from "my vidoes" last time I tried but I must have forgotten, just tried now and working fine. Cheers, and thanks for the line to the other torrent site nice to have a few bookmarked :) ;)

Good news. Thanks for that.

Strange...........

Downloaded about 35% and stopped (needed to reset comp), tried to start again and had the same meassage as before (htttp ect), deleted everything and started again no probs? did the same with another torrent from there and it started back from about 40% no probs? Any reason why? :confused:

This port forwarding business - I thought I had it licked when I joined OiNK. Went to portforward.com, set up a virtual server on our Belkin F5D7633-4 router configeration page with a port range starting at 6881 and then also adjusted the port setting on my bittorrent client ABC 3.1 in Preferences > Network to the same number. Look at my profile et voilá! I'm a clever sod.

BUT now I've joined karagarga, they blacklist port 6881. So I set up a separate virtual server on the router, port 51100, reset it in ABC but I'm not connectable :( Dunno why. I'm now not clever in OiNK either unless I reset the port in ABC back to 6881. Can you only have one virtual server per server IP address? I'm outta ideas to resolve this and I'd love to upload on karagarga, if only because my ratio is 0! :eek:

this is the best p2p fileshare i know of i use it for everything( software, mp3, movies, tv and everthing else. it is well worth downloading. if your not much of a techie then you may have to get some help configuring your fire wall or router. but there are help pages and lots of info. i got LOST series two last week. sorry i forgot the link.shareaza

http://www.torrent-damage.net/index.php have pruned 6000 members and are taking new applications.
I have a few torrentleech invites if anyone is interested. Send me a PM with your email address. I can't 100% recommend them, unlike torrentdamage, as they seem to love selling VIP memberships which means there are quite a few leeching arses on the site. I left a download going during the day and found I had upoaded 55GB once i had got back. :confused:

Other sites, if you have a shite connection but can keep your comp on for 72 hours on end then maybe http://www.midnight-torrents.com/ is for you.
They seem decent enough folks anyways.

I have been using http://nordic-t.org/index.php quite abit. It is a scandinavian site that offers alot of decent torrents without any BS.

PS: Shareaza is not recommended for Bit Torrent.

anyone got a uk nova invite? please? looking for documentary on nazi hate rock that was on TV last night (i dont live in britain)

flickerx said:
anyone got a uk nova invite? please? looking for documentary on nazi hate rock that was on TV last night (i dont live in britain)

they don't use an invite system - you'll just have to get lucky with signup - my mate got in there last week.

I recently d/ld something and was happily reseeding it back to everyone, when I noticed in the list of peers my own IP addresses. Is this something I should be alarmed about? I'm using BitComet.

:oops: Embarrasingly basic question :oops:

I am downloading torrents from karagarga using BitTornado - but no data has been uploaded at the same time.

Whis is this??? Just cos no-one wants what I'm seeding/leeching? Or could it be firewall related? I'm not getting any message about not being contactable etc.

I don't want to have a really shit share ratio and get booted. What can I do?

Sometimes, the torrent is already established and the reason you get good speeds is because a lot of seeders have most, if not all, of the torrent downloaded alas the demand for uploading is very low. One way to cheat it would be to download something that you may not want but is (or is going to be) popular, and just seed that file. You'll get max uploads from such cases.

Your best bet is to open up a port on your router and have it pointing back to your Bit Torrent machine. Use this URL to test if that port has then been successfully open (just add the port number to the end of the URL, as it is incomplete without it).

articul8 said:
:oops: Embarrasingly basic question :oops:

I am downloading torrents from karagarga using BitTornado - but no data has been uploaded at the same time.

Whis is this??? Just cos no-one wants what I'm seeding/leeching? Or could it be firewall related? I'm not getting any message about not being contactable etc.

I don't want to have a really shit share ratio and get booted. What can I do?
you can tell if you're ;connectable' by looking at the list of seeders/leechers on something you are up/downloading - if you are not, you will show as ----, but if you are, it will read the 4 or 5 digit number of the port you are using. Is anyone else shown as leeching the same file? If there are a few of them and you havent uploaded owt, somethng is seriously wrong! Even if you are not connectable you can normally upload something, just more slowly.

cheers - I've got it sorted in the end. It turned out I needed to reconfigure the router preferences (port forwarding?), which was quite a job.

anyway, now uploading (and downloading) happily :)

I tend not to download games, but I think torrentleech.org is quite good for them (although it's not specifically a games site).

kenny g said:
I left a download going during the day and found I had upoaded 55GB once i had got back. :confused:

assuming by "during the day" you mean something like a 12 hour period, you've got to be uploading at over a Meg a second to knotch up 55Gb. that's one hell of a pipe you've got there :eek:

Elvis Parsley said:
assuming by "during the day" you mean something like a 12 hour period, you've got to be uploading at over a Meg a second to knotch up 55Gb. that's one hell of a pipe you've got there :eek:

yeah what the hell was you uploading anyway that is 55Gb!

Divisive Cotton said:
yeah what the hell was you uploading anyway that is 55Gb!

Multi-point upload, probably, with BT.

If you leave popular torrent seeding long enough... It'd have to be something really popular, though, and it's still a hell of an upload in 12hrs!

I'm trying to create a torrent with mutiple trackers, but with no luck so far.

I've tried keeping the tracker url's on different lines, and seperating them with ' - and ;

How can I do this, any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom