Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

Rune said:
I'm OK for converting files, cheers. I've got DVDSanta, WinAVI and some others

OK cool, it seemed from your original post you were having trouble converting.
The fact is you're having to convert from Xvid AVI to DVD MPEG2 (usually) - the size of the final file is entirely up to the way you convert and has little to do with the original bitorrent AVI.

Divisive Cotton said:
What's the best torrent site for software?

public ones - mininova, torrentspy, and pirates bay should get you what you want. get the org/com/net endings right though or you end up on scam sites.

BootyLove said:
Demonoid is a good sign-up site - though most stuff is also on Pirate Bay.

I always use the non-sign up sites for music, but there seems to be a problem with software - people just want to take and not share. A couple of day a go there were over 150 trying to download a piece of software, but nobody wanted to share... hence, it makes it all pointless. I'll try to sign up for demonoid.

From the Demonoid site:

We had a problem with our database today, and had to restore from a backup. This means the whole site, including the forums, went back in time 10 hours.
If you are missing torrents, or anything else, this is the reason.

Who the Harry H Corbett runs that place, Dr Who?

So I've just begun this torrent nonsense, I've downloaded some stuff usuing ABC, all going well. ABC has the download and upload speed of the file, and the upload speed is working and changing, does this mean I am seeding the gear I've downloaded, or do I have to fiddle about with ports? I do not want to be a leech.

You will be uploading as you are downloading, and if you leave that bit torrent alone, you can seed it for others. This will boost your ratio (where applicable).

If you right-click a torrent, and do local settings, you can set specific "rules" for any torrent, including what the maximum speed to download that particular torrent, and how much to upload (anything from "unlimited" to time-specific).

DarthSydodyas said:
You will be uploading as you are downloading, and if you leave that bit torrent alone, you can seed it for others. This will boost your ratio (where applicable).

If you right-click a torrent, and do local settings, you can set specific "rules" for any torrent, including what the maximum speed to download that particular torrent, and how much to upload (anything from "unlimited" to time-specific).

Thanks. Yes I hoped that if I left it uploading forever then I'd be sharing. What does the maximum upload setting mean? Does it mean if it is set at 20 the file will only be shared 20 times? What should I set it for d'ya think, 500? 600? If I set everything to unlimited, will that slow my whole machine up?

Sorry it's early days for me.

Flashman said:
Thanks. Yes I hoped that if I left it uploading forever then I'd be sharing. What does the maximum upload setting mean? Does it mean if it is set at 20 the file will only be shared 20 times? What should I set it for d'ya think, 500? 600? If I set everything to unlimited, will that slow my whole machine up?

It's probably maximum upload speed.

Achieving a share ratio of 20 is almost impossible

<snip>

(1) Unlimited upload - never stop seeding/sharing, until you manually stop it.
(2) Time - set the time (hours:mins) to define how long you want to leave that torrent open for sharing/seeding (minimum is 30mins, under ABC).
(3) Ratio - you can define how much of the file you want to upload (in percentage), so 200% means you want share/seed until you've uploaded the file a whole 2x over.

Naturally, the more torrents you have open, the slower your connection will become. Personally, I'd recommend manual intervention, leaving the torrents to upload "unlimited" and when you need to use the machine/connection just stop the uploads. Resume them later, when the machine/connection is idle.

If you go to FILE->Preferences, you will be able to set the same options, but these are applied globally to all torrents (unless you do that "local setting" thing).

That's what I've been doing so far, pausing for a while if I need the juice.
Cheers for the info chaps, settings on new software are a little confusing at first sometimes, seem to be doing okay now.

try and cap your upload speed to around 80% of your maximum - this allows the requests for bits of the torrrents to get through, increasing your download speed. Also your browser surfing will work better.

Be careful with pause. I believe literally pausing the torrent holds on to the connection, and this might still cause your connection to saturate as it maintains them.

I just use Stop.

DarthSydodyas said:
Be careful with pause. I believe literally pausing the torrent holds on to the connection, and this might still cause your connection to saturate as it maintains them.

I just use Stop.

Okay so, taralot.

Karagara has returned

. Karagara is back
The excellent source of cult/ obscure movies is back! If you are already a member just log back in otherwise you'll have to sign up........<- ;)

i deperately need to aquire a partucular film by tonight, i have been let down by amazon and i am showing it as part of a film festival tonight.

its Matewan by John Sayles

any fast DL sites.....

treelover said:
i deperately need to aquire a partucular film by tonight, i have been let down by amazon and i am showing it as part of a film festival tonight.

its Matewan by John Sayles

any fast DL sites.....

no luck on pirate bay, mininova or kargara - you may well fair better using a p2p like limewire or even soulseek - as this tends to search users own files.

treelover said:

I wouldnt even bother trying to locate it on P2P if you're desperate for it. Its not going to be a popular one with loads of seeders = shit download speed. Your best bet at this late stage is to bring ID and proof of address like a bank statement or a gas bill to your local video/DVD rental shops to sign up for membership and try to find it there. I think it won a few Oscars back in the day so its possible/likely your local indie/arthouse video rental shop would have it.

anyone know any movies sites (recent movies)

cant get on pisexy

also what is the fastest speed you have acheived on a download, i can never get more than 180kb/s on an 8mb connection

I have got 3 megs per second before, but that was downloading something that someone on the same router as me also had, so for some reason the speeds are ultra-fast.

new q, what happens when you dl using bt and some of the files are corrupted, is there anyway you can overlay the files, so only the duff ones are replaced.

Flashman said:

Maximum upload setting I'd say is going to be your upload speed. Set it to about 80% of your max' download speed.
Seed files back, at least, at a ratio of 1:1. I'd be impressed if you managed to get a ratio of 20:1!!

Dandred said:
What does it mean if I keep getting "problem connecting to tracker (http:/error)?
Do you get it on all files with all trackers or just with files associated with one particular tracker? Or, for that matter , one particular file?
The general answer would be that you are having a problem connecting to the tracker.
But I am sure you would have guessed that.
Sometimes trackers go down or alternatively the torrent may be associated with a tracker you have to be a member of to download. Sometimes people post private tracker torrents on public sites such as mininova. Anyway, give us some info including which tracker is involved and I can say more.

Back
Top Bottom