Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

I have passworded torrent that includes the pasword in an .nfo file (i think) does anyone know how i extract the password from this file?

Curious what sort of d/l speeds people are getting? I managed to get up to 60kBs once but usually its in the 20-30's. It doesn't seem to matter how many seeds or leechers I'm connected to. Is it the program I use that affects this?( BitLord) My max' upload is set up properly, and my ports are forwarded from what I can work out.

Rune said:
Curious what sort of d/l speeds people are getting? I managed to get up to 60kBs once but usually its in the 20-30's. It doesn't seem to matter how many seeds or leechers I'm connected to. Is it the program I use that affects this?( BitLord) My max' upload is set up properly, and my ports are forwarded from what I can work out.

Bitlord is adware, i'd switch to bitcomet (which it rips off) or azureus if you want bells & whistles.

If you're consistently stuck at 60kbps and you've checked all your settings, it's probably your ISP's fault. 60kbps is normal for a 512k line, but if you've got a faster one, it's probably over contended.

Rune said:

no problem usually - have had up to my maximum d/l speed quite often. When Azeures lets me down - happens on occasional .torrents - I open it in BitTornado and everything is fine - it opens more ports and generally seeds and connects better - but you need to do it on each torrent.

It depends on who's seeding - their max speed; how many seeders you can connect to; how quick you're seeding at the same time etc...

Most of my seeds come down at about 160k/s - though I have a max of around 650-700k/s

Rune said:

Exactly the same with me - and I use ABC. Just as a way of comparing Bootylove - what sites do you use to find torrents on? When you reach high speeds how many other people are seeding/peer(ing) at the same time? Is it music or tv?

Divisive Cotton said:
Exactly the same with me - and I use ABC. Just as a way of comparing Bootylove - what sites do you use to find torrents on? When you reach high speeds how many other people are seeding/peer(ing) at the same time? Is it music or tv?

The only site I get really high d/l speeds is UKNova - I've got Eastenders down in 6mins before. Filelist is pretty fast on the whole. Demonoid tends to be slower. Torrentleech is pretty good but a bastard to reseed. Filelist is my favourite - easy to keep your ratios up as many will leech from you.

High speeds usually happens with a high amount of seeders (over 100) though I've got 500k/s from 2 seeders in the past - probably with 10mbit upload capability.

BootyLove said:
it opens more ports

This is something that occurred to me just the other day. If I forward more ports, would that make a difference? Currently I'm only using one. And which would be the best ones to use?

Rune said:
This is something that occurred to me just the other day. If I forward more ports, would that make a difference? Currently I'm only using one. And which would be the best ones to use?

wot client are you using?

Rune said:

Ideally you should be forwarding several ports, in a range other than the default. Set your client to use (say) 55000 and up, then open 55000 thru 55099 on your router.

tom k&e said:
Ideally you should be forwarding several ports, in a range other than the default. Set your client to use (say) 55000 and up, then open 55000 thru 55099 on your router.

Will do, and we'll see what happens.

Rune said:

get that shit off your pc first then - its a known leecher and 20% of people (the ones who know what they're doing) will not connect to you at all. A lot of trackers won't allow you to use it either. It's notorious for 'bad data' and excessively slow upload.

read this

BitTornado or Azerus i'd suggest... BitTornado gives the best upload to download ratio. Az for ease of use.

tom k&e said:

wot he said - though I think Azeures does it all with one port so make sure you open that one - and make it a high number.

tom k&e said:

How's that work then? The clients seem to be set up so that they use only one port. I can set my PC up so that it uses loads of ports.

OK, one question. I'm just downloading something from uknova.

I've set my download really low, and my upload really high, yet its still giving me a 10 k per sec dl rate and a 0 upload rate.

Won't I be accused of leeching if this happens? What's going on? :confused:

RenegadeDog said:
OK, one question. I'm just downloading something from uknova.

I've set my download really low, and my upload really high, yet its still giving me a 10 k per sec dl rate and a 0 upload rate.

Won't I be accused of leeching if this happens? What's going on? :confused:
I depends on the Seed /leech ratio on that particular torent. If there are 10 seeds and only one leecher( you)then there will be a 10:1 ratio and because no one else is leeching /downloading you will have an upload of zero. Don't panic about it just keep the file and after a while when many of the seeds will most probably have wandered off and you will find yourself uploading to newly arrived leechers.
If you want to make sure you can upload straight away look for torrents where there are less seeds than leechers and you are more likely to be able to upload as you download. Many times people are listed as a seed but since they are trying to seed multiple files at the same time using a crappy connection you should be able to get a head start over them if you just try to seed a small number of files.

kenny g said:
I depends on the Seed /leech ratio on that particular torent. If there are 10 seeds and only one leecher( you)then there will be a 10:1 ratio and because no one else is leeching /downloading you will have an upload of zero. Don't panic about it just keep the file and after a while when many of the seeds will most probably have wandered off and you will find yourself uploading to newly arrived leechers.
If you want to make sure you can upload straight away look for torrents where there are less seeds than leechers and you are more likely to be able to upload as you download. Many times people are listed as a seed but since they are trying to seed multiple files at the same time using a crappy connection you should be able to get a head start over them if you just try to seed a small number of files.

Cheers. I'll try that. :)

How does one physically become a seeder?

I mean say I want to share my red Dwarf stuff, is it possible for me to simply make a torrent file and whack it on UK nova? Or is it more complex than that?

Pretty much - though a lot of trackers have designated seeders and no-one else is allowed to.
Not sure about UKNova, though check the forums for the torrents that they won't allow to upload. They protect the BBC to a certain extent and won't allow torrents that the BBC will be making money on in the future. At least I think that's the reason...

BootyLove said:
Pretty much - though a lot of trackers have designated seeders and no-one else is allowed to.
Not sure about UKNova, though check the forums for the torrents that they won't allow to upload. They protect the BBC to a certain extent and won't allow torrents that the BBC will be making money on in the future. At least I think that's the reason...

1,000th post! jeez that could have been more exciting... :rolleyes: :)

BootyLove said:

Ah, so I suspect they wouldn't allow stuff like red dwarf, which the BBC sells as DVDs...

RenegadeDog said:
Ah, so I suspect they wouldn't allow stuff like red dwarf, which the BBC sells as DVDs...

Definitely not - they'll remove it straight away - anything on DVD isn't allowed. For some reason the BBC tolerate UKNova as it gets their stuff 'out there' - at least that's what I'm led to believe.

There's always other trackers ;)

rubbershoes said:
soulseek is stil good though. you can see who's downloading from you and see what they have that you might fancy. you can't browse in the same way with any torrent sites that i'm aware of

i agree. The main thing I use torrents for is watching football I might have missed, downloading match of the day and stuff (and I've been downloading /watching eastenders again for the first time in 2 years - but I realise that is rather tragic and not something i should probably admit on a public forum!)

I actually prefer the soulseek setup. You aren't compelled to share a certain ratio of stuff, you just leave yur stuff available to share, and if they want to, they will. With torrents they say you have to share a certain ratio, yet sometimes you can leave stuff there for days and it only uploads a few megs, so the ratio just stays rubbish

RenegadeDog said:
i agree. The main thing I use torrents for is watching football I might have missed, downloading match of the day and stuff (and I've been downloading /watching eastenders again for the first time in 2 years - but I realise that is rather tragic and not something i should probably admit on a public forum!)

I actually prefer the soulseek setup. You aren't compelled to share a certain ratio of stuff, you just leave yur stuff available to share, and if they want to, they will. With torrents they say you have to share a certain ratio, yet sometimes you can leave stuff there for days and it only uploads a few megs, so the ratio just stays rubbish

There are plenty of public trackers that don't keep ratios at all. I do think that you should get extra credit for pushing new material though.

cheers for the info in this thread, I'm now sorted with d/l some softs that I needed for uni work. Have got ABC and is working fine for me.

tom k&e said:
There are plenty of public trackers that don't keep ratios at all. I do think that you should get extra credit for pushing new material though.

True... its just that UKNova ban people when their ratios get too crap...

RenegadeDog said:

UKNova isnt' bad for that - I find it pretty easy to keep my ratio up - depends how popular the torrent is though. I use Soulseek and bittorrent - soulseek is good for those hard to find tracks - or if you just want the one - bitorrent is good for entire albums - and everything downloads so much quicker than soulseek -which only allows one download of each file at a time whereas bitorrent is sharing to lots of users at a time. Soulseek tends to be quite slow as well so not suitable for larger files (though I did get star wars from there - took about 15 hours)

Back
Top Bottom