Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

Divisive Cotton said:
I've just started using bittorrent last night.

What I did was to go to defiant.ws and use their search engine facility, which then redirects me to another site. Downloaded a few albums - Can, White Album, Gang of Four - but it does seem to be slow - what sort of download speeds do other people have?

Depends. If I'm getting a file from 2 seeds - it can be as low as 17k/sec - 45 seeds and I've had 650k/sec. All depends on the upload speed of the seeders and the amount of actual seeders (who will each give you a piece of the file and thus speed up downloads).

BootyLove said:
This helps, but if you're seeding 20 odd files AZ still gets a bit confused - it will continue seeding some files well past a ratio of 1.

Well, I never seed 20 odd files at once (just stupid on a 256kb upload line). And my shares go waaaaay past a ratio of 1 anyway, so I've never had that problem.

BootyLove said:
Depends. If I'm getting a file from 2 seeds - it can be as low as 17k/sec - 45 seeds and I've had 650k/sec. All depends on the upload speed of the seeders and the amount of actual seeders (who will each give you a piece of the file and thus speed up downloads).

Don't never seem to break 10k/sec - maybe my choice is too obscure.

Iam said:
Well, I never seed 20 odd files at once (just stupid on a 256kb upload line). And my shares go waaaaay past a ratio of 1 anyway, so I've never had that problem.

I've got 1mbit upload and 8mbit download so it does take a bit of careful maintenance to keep my ratios sorted (and it take quite a while for the upload to catch up to the download).

AZ's seeding is moaned about on a lot of bittorrent forums. BitTornado does it better but only one at a time... I just prefer AZ's interface.

Divisive Cotton said:
Don't never seem to break 10k/sec - maybe my choice is too obscure.

You could try a different tracker - might be fast uploaders on it - can you get into filelist.org and then into filemp3.org? - they're very good.

BootyLove said:
I've got 1mbit upload and 8mbit download so it does take a bit of careful maintenance to keep my ratios sorted (and it take quite a while for the upload to catch up to the download).

AZ's seeding is moaned about on a lot of bittorrent forums. BitTornado does it better but only one at a time... I just prefer AZ's interface.

See, your line is 4 times the size of mine, but I tend to just leave stuff running for ages and never have ratio issues:

azureus.jpg

But then, I can imagine 20 at a time would be harder. I tend to only have 3 or 4 going at once...

(Interesting filename there Ianm)

I've a good broadband connection but crap cable connection - so I've no decent tv input into my apartment, so I tend to download everything me and my gf watch. Means I usually have at least 5 d/ls a day - approaching 1.5gig a day - it all gets a bit confusing - especially knowing what to delete and what we've watched etc... :confused:

Kargara is the hardest one I've found to get ratios up as hardly anyone wants the file once I've downloaded it.

BootyLove said:
You could try a different tracker - might be fast uploaders on it - can you get into filelist.org and then into filemp3.org? - they're very good.

No, all full at the moment. I will go back when I think of it, but if anybody notices there is space for new members then post it up.

audionew.ru are going to be taking new menbers on the 2/8/05 just in case anyone is interested. They do have the toughest sharing deal going though.

I am new to all this 'torrentsy' but I like it :cool:

Have read all the faq's but when I try an download azureus it tries to charge me is this right?

Like so much a month or lifetime membership etc. :confused:

From what I gather I need this so that it can download the torrent files right?

azureus is free but every so often it'll ask you if you would like to donate

wherever you're downloading from you shouldn't be charged...

azureus is a bit torrent client and there are many other clients out there

I'll get the url for the official download, where are you trying to get it from?

Thankyou easy g :D

I just typed in google and clicked the link it gave me .... ;)

*i know nothing*

it's coming up with loads of errors duing set up :(

not sure tbh iirc I've used the UK, Swiss and one or two others in the past (they all hold a lot of the sourceforge stuff I think)

you should be ok whichever you choose :)

Turns out azureus was left behind when he dleetd his account.

Can anyone pm some links to decent bit sites?

I have some invites for demonoid.com (normal registration is closed at the moment), it's one of the better trackers imo. Might as well put them to some use, pm etc

Eita said:
I have some invites for demonoid.com (normal registration is closed at the moment), it's one of the better trackers imo. Might as well put them to some use, pm etc

and me - same applies (it's particularly good for warez and mac stuff)

I've had problem with a crashing pc which i think is due to bit torrent. I understand that it can sometimes rub up against drivers. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm downloading two torrents at a time now rather than 5.

easy g said:
nah not really...I know Azureus can hog resources a bit but I have similar problems with Firefox and ZA..

I've got bittorrent, firefox and ZA... which may explain why I've had memory problems.

I have found the the ABC client really eats up resources, esepcially if more than 2 torrents are being downloaded at the same time. The client I have found runs the smoothest is BitTornado, it only downloads 1 torrent at a time but I got round this before by insalling it agine to a different directory. So can download more than 1 torrent by having multiple open programs, and it still is lighter on system resources.

Eita said:
I have found the the ABC client really eats up resources, esepcially if more than 2 torrents are being downloaded at the same time. The client I have found runs the smoothest is BitTornado, it only downloads 1 torrent at a time but I got round this before by insalling it agine to a different directory. So can download more than 1 torrent by having multiple open programs, and it still is lighter on system resources.

Just going to download to torrents at a time now - the amount of grief this has caused me over the last month. I know it's free software, but I wish they'd put some sort of warning on it.

Back
Top Bottom