Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

kenny g said:
Using cheat clients is pretty scummy behaviour and fortunately is quite often detectable.

I did get banned from elittorrents (twice), but that's kind of moot now anyway. I upload at full speed 24/7 anyway, courier content between sites, and even rip new material, so I don't feel I'm really cheating. Users who fail to add or spread content, or don't upload at all are much worse.

Crispy said:
From now on, use a client like Azureus (google that mother), which auto-restarts your downloads when you reload the client.

Strange thing is I just stopped the download again and started it to see what would happen. I found it, but not the 75% one, it found the 2.5% one. Strange.

There both in the same folder.

My client has always done auto-restarts untill this one time. :confused:

you sure you've exactly the same torrent as originally?

can you get the details of the two torrents on yr client and compare them?

Went back to the same site selcted the same torrent (south park season 6).

The episodes already partly downloaded are the sameones i'm downloading now. :confused: :confused:

kenny g said:
Using cheat clients is pretty scummy behaviour and fortunately is quite often detectable.

Doesn't sound that good an idea. The only place I need it is on Karaga so not worth the bother really.
Not enough peers on that site - it's hard to keep your ratio up.

Dandred said:
Went back to the same site selcted the same torrent (south park season 6).

The episodes already partly downloaded are the sameones i'm downloading now. :confused: :confused:

I've heard this happening when the uploader accidently changes something in the torrent (happens alot with mac torrents something to do with ds_store file). I've had it happen once - not much to offer other than that.

If you change to Azuerus - try adding the torrent again to that - AZ might be able to reconnect it. If you can't you can at least see what has been downloaded (you might have got all of some episodes - unlikely but you never know). You can double click the torrent in AZ - go to 'files' and select which files you want to download (and which ones have downloaded).
This is really good when people offer packs and you just want one file from the pack. AZ is very cool but crap at maintaining ratios - you really have to keep an eye on it.

easy g said:
yep...me too

was ok fist thing this morning but had trouble during the day...

yeah KG is down :( go to the .org site forums, info on what is happening there in the main General Chat forum

flickerx

(withdrawal symptoms)

right, got this working now. downloaded Alice Coopers Welcome to the Nightmare - brilliant stuff, and am getting a few other things. Even found a good selection of Cope bootlegs straight away - I've got most of them (unsurprisingly as I';ve been swapping tapes and cd's with two of the uploaders anyway), but what is confusing me now is....there's this one Cope torrent that I had queued, and then just started seeding - I've now uploaded 50mb of it, even tho I haven't downloaded a single bite!

How the hell is that possible? And what other good sites are there for booties?

belboid said:
I've now uploaded 50mb of it, even tho I haven't downloaded a single bite!
aaah well, now I understand, turn your back for two hours and you can suddenly have the entire file without ever noticing it start to download! must be the only thing that's actually come down at a really good speed.

My next question then.....what are MD5 files? Some kind of sumchecker I realise, but dop I need them for owt after I've downloaded my flacs and converted them to aiff's?

ooh, lovely - finally got a download coming down at that legendary superspeed, 120kibs, and god, how sad is it that that excites me!?

Just been down loading the day today, the torrent has stoped at 99.7%. I'm still up loading but it's telling me unknow time for the lasy .3%. What chance is there that the files won't play with out this last .3%

Also just a general question, If I find the same thing I want to download on two differnet sites can I use two torrents and still get them to put the data in one file if you know what i mean?

I am using the BitLord client to download for windows. Is this a good client or are there better ones. I'm not really an expert so have no idea!

Dandred said:
Just been down loading the day today, the torrent has stoped at 99.7%. I'm still up loading but it's telling me unknow time for the lasy .3%. What chance is there that the files won't play with out this last .3%

Also just a general question, If I find the same thing I want to download on two differnet sites can I use two torrents and still get them to put the data in one file if you know what i mean?
1. Probably your router mangling packets.

2. Use azureus, right click, and add an extra tracker to the torrent. YMMV

Another Azerus question.

All my uploads are still stopping at a share ratio of 0.5 for each file.

I can't find a setting anywhere that might help change it.

At this rate my ratio will stay shite and I'll get boooted from UKnova, which would be a shame cause there is so much good stuff on there.

No bloody idea mate. I'm far more ignorant than you! ;) Have you noticed that the people who are bit torrents experts (outside U75 which as normal is full of eloquent & beautiful people) are unable to write in English? Their FAQs go straight into technical jargon. AAAAAAaaargh.

King Biscuit Time said:
Another Azerus question.

All my uploads are still stopping at a share ratio of 0.5 for each file.

I can't find a setting anywhere that might help change it.

At this rate my ratio will stay shite and I'll get boooted from UKnova, which would be a shame cause there is so much good stuff on there.

I find this always happens when downloading - once the file is down Azureus will then pick more needed seeds (ie those with lower than 0.5 ratios) to seed. Check the bottom window and remove all those that have ratios above 1 (sort by ratio). It's good to keep an eye on this window and clear out torrents periodically. Azureus is particularly bad at managing its seeding - you have to get involved a bit... You can stop some and forceseed others to keep it under control...

proud_american said:
ROUTER HELL

anyone know the password for cayman 3000?

should be whatever you set it to. failing that it should be the default one provided in the documentation.

failing those just reinstall it and your isp software.

BootyLove said:
I find this always happens when downloading - once the file is down Azureus will then pick more needed seeds (ie those with lower than 0.5 ratios) to seed. Check the bottom window and remove all those that have ratios above 1 (sort by ratio). It's good to keep an eye on this window and clear out torrents periodically. Azureus is particularly bad at managing its seeding - you have to get involved a bit... You can stop some and forceseed others to keep it under control...

Really?

I would have thought you could have just changed the setting under:

Tools > Options > Queue > Seeding

In which there are sections for Auto Seeding and First Priority which cover this.

I've just started using bittorrent last night.

What I did was to go to defiant.ws and use their search engine facility, which then redirects me to another site. Downloaded a few albums - Can, White Album, Gang of Four - but it does seem to be slow - what sort of download speeds do other people have?

Iam said:
Really?

I would have thought you could have just changed the setting under:

Tools > Options > Queue > Seeding

In which there are sections for Auto Seeding and First Priority which cover this.

This helps, but if you're seeding 20 odd files AZ still gets a bit confused - it will continue seeding some files well past a ratio of 1.

Back
Top Bottom