Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

Dubversion said:
i know this has been done before, but i got to page 5 in the thread lists and couldn't see anything.. so could someone PLEASE - in simple, fucktard-friendly terms, explain what bit torrent is, and how to use it etc.

i really am a bit thick, you see :)
xcfhghk

Looking for torrent site for a manuals

don't have:
Usernext
Demonoid
torrentspy
minnova - just a try
thepiratebay
bittorrentfind

Anyone know how to

A. Tell if there are foreign subtitles on your torrent download
B. Get rid of the fecking things when running
C. My download speeds have dropped from an average of 30kbps to about 3, even on well seeded torrents. I've looked at some stuff on creating statc IP/port opening etc but it's over my geek horizon...any ideas?

kyser_soze said:
Anyone know how to

A. Tell if there are foreign subtitles on your torrent download
B. Get rid of the fecking things when running

1) it should say on the file description when you start the d/l

best subtitle download place if it doesn't is here:

http://subscene.com/

b) Don't know what that means.

:D

What player are you using?
Unless it's .mkv or other funky format, subtitles will be in a seperate file - with exactly the same filename as the movie file.
Your ISP may be throttling torrents. Set your port to something other than 6881 (or whatever the default is) - mine's 35000 or something.
Turn on encryption in your torrent client.

there is a whole section in the Options of mpc for subtitles. There should be a big ON/OFF switch.

You're sure they're not baked into the video itself? (eg. they don't look crisp and overlayed)

Looks like they're baked in...dammit, will need to start again...grrr....

Now to address this speed malarky...havde done all the normal stuff - reset the port (26000), turned encrpytion on etc and most of the torrents I'm running are still <10kbps :(

thedyslexic1 said:
Looking for torrent site for a manuals

don't have:
Usernext
Demonoid
torrentspy
minnova - just a try
thepiratebay
bittorrentfind
Hrm what sort of manuals? Oink has a lot of ebook stuff.

I'm liking utorrent. Haven't needed invitations for any sites to get going and am getting to the limit of things I up for sharing. I keep missing the open days on Demonoid. Is there a great benefit to having an invitation to such sites? I use it 95% for audiobooks and a little bit of music. It's a limited pool of material :oops:

mango5 said:
I'm liking utorrent. Haven't needed invitations for any sites to get going and am getting to the limit of things I up for sharing. I keep missing the open days on Demonoid. Is there a great benefit to having an invitation to such sites? I use it 95% for audiobooks and a little bit of music. It's a limited pool of material :oops:
Oink is good for ebooks, audiobooks and music, and once you're over a certain ratio you can put in requests for things that people might have about but aren't online.

I've got a spare invite if you want it? PM email address etc. :)

I'm looking for a oink and HD-Bits invite, mostly the Bits one really. To trade I have invites for bit-hdtv.

I hate the begging threads but figure i'm best off asking on a forum which i'm an active part of :)

PM if you can help.

thebox.bz for tv stuff, bitsoup.org for games, oink.me.uk for some music, the net for the rest and moviex.info is a secret.

Hello to all
i search invite for uk-t
anyone help me?
i can change with rapidshare premium account or other
send me a PM if intersted

thx

underscore72 said:
Hello to all
i search invite for uk-t
anyone help me?
i can change with rapidshare premium account or other
send me a PM if intersted

thx
If you haven't had many replies, it's probably because this is your first post. You've been around here a while, why don't you post a bit more, let us get acquainted? :)

mango5 said:
If you haven't had many replies, it's probably because this is your first post. You've been around here a while, why don't you post a bit more, let us get acquainted? :)

hi mango5
i agree whit you
you have right
but i no write very well english i'm italian guy
i know this site from my friend :)
nice site and intersting
any users here speak italian ?

underscore72

Still there, new software. Go to the site root if you've bookmarked something that no longer exists.

ahhhhh....demonoid down........wondered why my torrents were on blue, didnt think to check trackers............hope me ratio is saved, noted demonoid only went down 26th......should really check seeds/toorents more than once a week

Back
Top Bottom