Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best time to hit the 'Reduced To Clear' section?

Though visiting a sumpermarket seems a lifetime away I still have an active interest in the reductions. My ex just dropped of 6 Cadbury's easter eggs that she got this morning for 25 p each.

Though visiting a sumpermarket seems a lifetime away I still have an active interest in the reductions. My ex just dropped of 6 Cadbury's easter eggs that she got this morning for 25 p each.

Where from? I was desperate for some cheap chocolate when I went to the supermarket earlier but the shelves had been cleared of anything easter related

Brighton Waitrose is still packed even though they're limiting numbers.
Always hate Brighton Waitrose apart from the fact they stock alpro choc oat milk which mine doesn't. Shit discounts, but so unbelievably easy to steal from, I've been tempted (but didn't) every time.

dunno where else to put this, but I was in Waitrose on Friday and they were chucking out hundreds and hundreds of ice creams and choc-ices cos (I'm assuming) the freezers had shut down. Heartbreaking scenes.

Morrison's often provides a bounty of goods in the late afternoon / early evening.

Today I snagged a pack of 8 pork sausages for 9p!!! 9 pence!!!

They have been bagged up in suitable portions and frozen.

Basically, I'll pick up anything off their reduced to clear shelf that can be frozen or that I can find a use for that same day and have had some real bargains. Last week got some fresh hake fillets (freezable!) at 75p per pack of 2 - got several packs that went into the freezer. Bargain.

Singing the praises of Morrisons reduced to clear shelf this evening... picked up a LOT of stuff including:

2 packs of their regular pork sausages
1 pack of their luxury "the best" range pork and onion sausages
2 breaded plaice fillets
Individual "the best" range steak and ale pie
Individual "the best" range mac and 3 cheese pie (veggie)
Fish pie (it is their regular one which isn't that great but very cheap and freezable, will be eagerly consumed at some point)
Warburtons fruit loaf
Fresh broad beans in their pods (have no idea what to do with these but I will work out something delicious! Am thinking a Greek style bean dish which can be cooked and then go in the freezer)
Fresh mushrooms

Most of the above (bar the fruit loaf and fresh veg) was freezable, total cost for for the lot was less than a fiver.

EDIT TO ADD: when I was leaving, they were filling the whole reduced cabinet up with chicken wings, I think they stocked up expecting BBQ weather which really hadn't come through last weekend so they have a lot of product about to go off. I'd have picked up a load if our freezer hadn't already been near full.

Last edited:
Blows dust off thread

I got a pack of pork medallions half price in Iceland earlier and popped them in the freezer. Now I find their pork medallions a bit thin and disappointing to fry up as is - but they are excellent to slice and batter for sweet and sour pork so was happy to pick some up cheap (or should I say a reasonable price for what they are!)

Got two Soreen malt loaves for 18p each. Had to, but for some reason my appetite has gone. Might freeze them, bake them and slice & shatter to use as an exciting addition to ice cream

Got to Morrisons at just the right time today!

Came away with:

Veggie Pukka Pie - 10p
Pack of 2 organic chicken breasts - 40p
2x packs of pork sausages - 15p each
Large tub of "best of..." cheesy coleslaw - 16p

The pie went straight in the freezer and later I'll portion and bag the sausages and wedge them into any small gaps in the freezer - it is loaded and groaning atm.

Reduced shelf absolutely heaving in Morrisons today - it's the same at the end of any week where it has pissed down, no barbecues have taken place or are planned for the weekend, so the shelf is heaving with fresh burgers and coleslaw. They also had some chicken and some lamb chops and steaks, but they weren't reduced enough for me to pick up, same with the coleslaw.

I picked up 6 fresh beef burgers (there were hundreds of the things on there), burger buns and a little tub of egg mayonnaise very cheap, OH can have that in sarnies when he gets home from work in the morning.

Reduced shelf absolutely heaving in Morrisons today - it's the same at the end of any week where it has pissed down, no barbecues have taken place or are planned for the weekend, so the shelf is heaving with fresh burgers and coleslaw. They also had some chicken and some lamb chops and steaks, but they weren't reduced enough for me to pick up, same with the coleslaw.

I picked up 6 fresh beef burgers (there were hundreds of the things on there), burger buns and a little tub of egg mayonnaise very cheap, OH can have that in sarnies when he gets home from work in the morning.
Thanks for the tip. I am going to trawl my local Tesco after work and hope to come out with a healthy booty. Get in the freezer!

I'm loving the Lidl veg / fruit boxes at the moment.
I usually go about 8am, and if there are a couple of things in the veg box that I was going to buy anyway it's an immediate winner. For instance today there was a full tub of mushrooms, and a full tub of cherry tomatoes. That's already cheaper than on the shelf for the £1.50 asking price. Also bag of carrots, two bags of long peppers, a couple of regular peppers, bags worth of easy peelers, punnet of cherries, punnet of raspberries, tiny cauliflower and a bags worth of carrots. Nothing looked bad or out of date, so I assume it's simply because they have come out of their plastic packaging. Crazy value.

I'm loving the Lidl veg / fruit boxes at the moment.
I usually go about 8am, and if there are a couple of things in the veg box that I was going to buy anyway it's an immediate winner. For instance today there was a full tub of mushrooms, and a full tub of cherry tomatoes. That's already cheaper than on the shelf for the £1.50 asking price. Also bag of carrots, two bags of long peppers, a couple of regular peppers, bags worth of easy peelers, punnet of cherries, punnet of raspberries, tiny cauliflower and a bags worth of carrots. Nothing looked bad or out of date, so I assume it's simply because they have come out of their plastic packaging. Crazy value.
I am aware that Lidl veg boxes exist, but I usually only ever go in late afternoon/early evening so have never seen them :(
Sounds awesome, I may have to get up early one day and go have a look in our local one.

Fantastic . I'm surprised how all this empty shelf business hasn't affected this thread

Fantastic . I'm surprised how all this empty shelf business hasn't affected this thread

Hasn't seemed to affect much around here at all tbh. The only shelf with empty bits on it was the veggie/vegan freezer cabinet, although they still had basics like quorn mince, veggie burgers etc. The rest of the supermarket was well stocked.

I am aware that Lidl veg boxes exist, but I usually only ever go in late afternoon/early evening so have never seen them :(
Sounds awesome, I may have to get up early one day and go have a look in our local one.
It differs from shop to shop I think. They certainly never used to be there at 8am at mine, so its quite a new thing for me. I have also seen them in other shops and they have been rotting trash. Last couple of months have been absolutely fab for me though, and you also get a nice strong box for free.

Local supermarket has had a makeover and they now cram (no lie) all their reduced at the bottom of an awkward to access fridge with sliding doors. So awkward, in fact, that seemingly nobody bothers to rummage through it anymore. I picked up loads today, was really chuffed.

My mate always goes 4pm Xmas Eve.
Was always a bit of a tradition for mrs B & myself and we favoured Croydon over the last few years, holing up in the old Dog & Bull with the traders before sweeping out to see what Marks &Waitrose were ‘giving away’!

Not this year, though. ☹️

Back
Top Bottom