Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best time to hit the 'Reduced To Clear' section?

Scored in co-op yesterday

Slingsby Gin -it says it was £40 now £22 so I thought Xmas gift & at till it was £13. I bought all 3. Can get for £30 online

Les Challeys Saint-Joseph red wine. Said it was £20 reduced to £9 again thinking Xmas gift & got to till &’it was £5.75. So again I bought all 3. Can get for £22 online

Attachments

• 9FC1E3F2-F9E4-4571-962E-FB9C713FB1A1.jpeg
    9FC1E3F2-F9E4-4571-962E-FB9C713FB1A1.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 12
Two packs of 6 all butter mince pies, down to a quid a box (were about 2 quid or a bit above at full price). A 1lb xmas pud for 2 quid (about 3.50 full price I think).

Not strictly the reduced to clear section, but I just managed to get the following items delivered to my door by Morrisons for £31

72 (6 x 12 packs) bottles of Heineken
4 large bottles of Heineken
24 bottles of alcohol free Heineken

I feel like the cat that got the cream 😀

(Although they did have the audacity to charge me £1.40 for 14 carrier bags I didn't order, the bastards 😒)

I got some good reduced to clear action today

Pepperoni pizza
Quorn sausage rolls (pack of 3)
Pork chipolatas (pack of 12)
Blackcurrant trifles (pack of 3)
Profiterole with chocolate sauce individual desserts (pack of 2)
Spotted dick puddings (pack of 2)
Mexican dip selection
Tub of cheese savoury sarnie filling

For about £2 the lot.

It was good timing, when I got there the reduced section was completely empty, I spent a while wandering around and when I got to the till I noticed the person in front of me had some yellow stickered goodies, dashed back to find the shelves had been restocked with all the really cheap end of the day prices. I mean seriously the chipolatas were 15p

I've now got to freeze all that and work out where the fuck I am going to make room for the cheese pizzas that my (pescetarian, no interest in rump steak) OH said that he wanted to stock up on from the offer currently available at Iceland (4x Goodfellas cheese pizzas for a fiver, excellent deal). :hmm:

Good wedge off the price there for a usually expensive fresh ingredient, nice one!
Reduced to clear comes good again :)

The other day I got a couple of ready meals from Morrison's at 35p each (reduced from over £3.50), a tub of pilau rice for 18p, a pack of sausages (nothing exciting but they'll do for sausage casseroles) for 20p, and 2 lemon sole fillets for £1.27 - the fish was eaten that night and everything else went in the freezer.

Wilkos is finally shutting down in Clifton today, been in and out all week buying shit for home and work. Today I got half a sack of grass seed (they sold it by weight pick and mix style, this was the leftovers, maybe 5kg) for £1. Everything else is 80% off. Loads of pet stuff and bird feeders etc. still.

It has been this year, which makes up a bit for disappointments in recent times (at least where I was). There wasn't much, let alone anything I'd want, and frankly, you weren't guaranteed much of a choice even at full price. But now the gods have smiled, and there were very cheap sandwiches last night for work, which was ideal, and things like brie and steak for The Day When The Shops Are Shut.

Last edited:
Sainsbury’s has shitloads of very cheap Valentines’ Day branded orange teas in their reduced section - 22p for chips, 87p for three big wodges of romantic cheese, £2 for rump steak. Hurry though!

First time trying the 'food larder' in the village. They collect all the stuff supermarkets are about to chuck, you stick £1.50 in the tin & take what you like. I arrived at the end, so practically had food forced on me. Pretty random, but much will keep in the freezer or even fresh ( like that watermelon). PXL_20240412_203011468.jpg

Just got four pork loin steaks and four lamb rump steaks in Asda reduced to clear. I’ve stuck them in the freezer. How will I cook them? Defrost then…?

Just got four pork loin steaks and four lamb rump steaks in Asda reduced to clear. I’ve stuck them in the freezer. How will I cook them? Defrost then…?
I tend to get pork loin steaks because they're fairly cheap compared to other meats - it's a cut suited to cooking quickly, so I brush with oil and season then fry on a high temperature, few minutes each side depending upon how thick they are (most supermarket packs are not very thick steaks, so just be careful not to overcook them or they can go dry and tough). Just serve with whatever you like to have with a steak - chips, mash, peas, salad etc.

The alternative for them is thinly slice and use for stir fries, garlic and ginger sticky pork is a good recipe Easy Garlic Ginger Glazed Sticky Pork or sweet and sour pork Sweet and Sour Pork - best ever!

Not sure on the lamb, I don't get that so often.

Nice haul though, well done!

I tend to get pork loin steaks because they're fairly cheap compared to other meats - it's a cut suited to cooking quickly, so I brush with oil and season then fry on a high temperature, few minutes each side depending upon how thick they are (most supermarket packs are not very thick steaks, so just be careful not to overcook them or they can go dry and tough). Just serve with whatever you like to have with a steak - chips, mash, peas, salad etc.

The alternative for them is thinly slice and use for stir fries, garlic and ginger sticky pork is a good recipe Easy Garlic Ginger Glazed Sticky Pork or sweet and sour pork Sweet and Sour Pork - best ever!

Not sure on the lamb, I don't get that so often.

Nice haul though, well done!
Thanks Epona.

Got a punnet of 10 plums for 75p, they were just on the best before date absolutely nothing wrong with them and they will be fine for another week I reckon.
I think I'll stew them with brandy, brown sugar, and spices (cinnamon for sure, maybe a pinch of ginger), then either have as is with ice cream or custard (or both!), or use as a pie/tart/crumble filling depending upon how much baking I feel like doing :D

I got some pork loin steaks but they were concerningly cheap to start with. Also some smoked mackerel which I'll make pate with.

Back
Top Bottom