Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best time to hit the 'Reduced To Clear' section?

That seems excessive
I think the courgettes, corn on the cob, lemons and potatoes would have been OK in there for a few days for someone else to have a go at the bounty.

That seems excessive
I think the courgettes, corn on the cob, lemons and potatoes would have been OK in there for a few days for someone else to have a go at the bounty.

It's only on very briefly, like 15 minutes before it's all gone. There's a very small queue of people outside in advance.

It's only on very briefly, like 15 minutes before it's all gone. There's a very small queue of people outside in advance.
No worries, I hope there was no-one else behind you in the queue!
I think these things are great for people who are struggling to afford to buy food.
They aren't there for people who can buy stuff from the supermarket. I have never used one.

No worries, I hope there was no-one else behind you in the queue!
I think these things are great for people who are struggling to afford to buy food.
They aren't there for people who can buy stuff from the supermarket. I have never used one.

It's advertised as more a reducing food waste thing.

It used to be on 3 nights in the village, but was reduced to 2 nights due to lack of demand. So by going along as a regular and paying you're helping it stay open. There was 6 of us in the queue last night and absolutely loads, not just food but flowers too.

The people who organise and collect stuff take a big cut of the produce...

There's usually certain items like bread and bagged salad left at the end.

I manage to use most of what I take, but if I have excess bread, it will go out to the birds; if veggies are going off, I'll stick them in my compost bin. Better than stuff in cellophane being thrown in landfill.

It's advertised as more a reducing food waste thing.

It used to be on 3 nights in the village, but was reduced to 2 nights due to lack of demand. So by going along as a regular and paying you're helping it stay open. There was 6 of us in the queue last night and absolutely loads, not just food but flowers too.

The people who organise and collect stuff take a big cut of the produce...

There's usually certain items like bread and bagged salad left at the end.

I manage to use most of what I take, but if I have excess bread, it will go out to the birds; if veggies are going off, I'll stick them in my compost bin. Better than stuff in cellophane being thrown in landfill.

Ah no worries, I think round here there'd be 40 people queueing up for a bag of sorry looking salad leaves :D

It's difficult sometimes to not get a little tetchy about access to food, if that makes any sense?

It's difficult sometimes to not get a little tetchy about access to food, if that makes any sense?

Yup, I get it. More should be done to make sure everyone has access to food, and also that food doesn't go to waste. I guess it's harder to manage food on its use by date than food in tins. (The one in the village is at ~9:30pm 2 nights a week, which isn't going to suit everyone.) When I do a supermarket shop, I usually pick up something for the food bank collection.

Yup, I get it. More should be done to make sure everyone has access to food, and also that food doesn't go to waste. I guess it's harder to manage food on its use by date than food in tins. (The one in the village is at ~9:30pm 2 nights a week, which isn't going to suit everyone.) When I do a supermarket shop, I usually pick up something for the food bank collection.

A mate of mine works at a food bank and often tries to get me to go round and pick up a few items they have trouble shifting.

I feel much like Epona in that I think that should be going to people who have trouble affording food, but I see the waste avoidance angle too.

I tried Olio for a while, to try to help with keeping our household food bill down (as well as helping with waste) but I found the issue with it was that it's generally stuff being picked up by very kind people who volunteer their time to go round and pick stuff up at the back of a supermarket after it's closed - but that means there's generally a short pick up window quite late at night for others. As in a post at 22:30 along the lines of "I've got 20 loaves of bread and some bags of bread rolls, pick up before 23:00" and I don't live in the worst area but it's not the best either, and I'm not going out on a probably 1hr round trip to the back streets of a part of the borough I don't know late at night, in the hope of saving a quid on some soon to be stale bread. If that makes any sense :D

I think a communal pantry somewhere central is probably more useful.

Regulars drive to the food larder in the village, from other villages or the outskirts of the nearest town. For me, it's a minutes walk... If you read my posts elsewhere, I'm struggling with things at the moment, so the larder is really handy for reasons other than the cost.

Regulars drive to the food larder in the village, from other villages or the outskirts of the nearest town. For me, it's a minutes walk... If you read my posts elsewhere, I'm struggling with things at the moment, so the larder is really handy for reasons other than the cost.

They can be invaluable :)

There’s one in my village but I think you just help yourself from what it says, there’s stuff inside some huge plastic boxes. Not really sure though

It’s at the parish council / village hall.

Yeah our community fridge is at least partly run as a waste reduction thing too. I wouldn't show up when they only have a tiny bit of stuff that other people might need more, but they've been getting boxes and boxes of fresh fruit and veg this week and I'll definitely be along if it happens again when I'm not doing something miles away all evening. They have some cleaning product (and toiletries maybe) refills that you can pay for but I think the food is free to take. They'll accept homegrown produce too, although not eggs unless you're registered, which can be handy for gluts.

Back
Top Bottom