Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best Thames road bridge

What is your favourite bridge?

• Total voters

RubyToogood

RubyTwobikes
Every time I go over Wandsworth Bridge, which is quite often, I reflect on how utterly crap the view from it is. Depressing modern flats in every direction, except the vaguely industrial bits. Unlike, say, Waterloo Bridge, which has one of the best views in London. Albert Bridge is glamourous when you're looking at it, but not as much when you're using it. Please vote for your favourite road bridge across the Thames, with reasons.

The known universe stops at Wandsworth, in this instance, only because I couldn't fit any more on the options, but you are allowed "other" really.

Last edited:
Waterloo Bridge has the best views. Best looking bridge though isn't in London, it's the newest Thames bridge in Walton...

Walton-Bridge-finished.jpg

When I moved to Elephant after a while abroard it was the journey across Waterloo Bridge every day which made it all worthwhile. Great view.

Also a pretty bridge to look at too. Nice and simple, functional, elegant and has the BFI under it too which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
London bridge has some good views not least because you can see Tower Bridge from it.
I quite like the look of Blackfriars Bridge.

waterloo sunset is legendary and design suits RFH and NT and BFI etc

i think the most attractive city bridge is southwark...it also slopes up in the middle which is quite a nice effect when you cross it, feels like a take off - also next to zero traffic on it often

2aca38be49f19e8a71f5950fdc13eac2.jpg

it may be a bit posh but the most attrative bridge has to be Albert, especially at night time

Albert_Bridge,_London_-_Oct_2012.jpg

thames_eye_putney17.jpg

Chelsea is lovely lit up too, as seen walking in Battersea park at night by the buddah

428189-chelsea-bridge.jpg

Last edited:
London Bridge, but only because it was great to go over it southbound on a motorbike. At certain times you could go very, very fast - at least until you got to the mad junction on the other side.

Waterloo for looking from, particularly heading south. And for Ray Davies.

Albert Bridge at night for looking at.

Westminster for the poetry.

Albert Bridge, beautiful, delicate, not very pratical.
Best view must be from Waterloo.
Lambeth is really interesting - stick your head over the sides and you will see some lovely little detailing on it ( this was covered in a thread somewhere).
As for Wandsworth Bridge, it is one of the ugliest bridges BUT I can see my place from it :thumbs:
Somone was going to put some art installation on it a while back, alas, money got in the way.

Blackfriars because I wore grooves in it driving from north London to 10011 raves, parties and drug deals in Brixton, Vauxhall, Camberwell etc etc over the years :):cool:

Waterloo for looking from

Albert for looking at, but will accept Tower Bridge.

Southwark for lightest road traffic.

Westminster for biggest concentration of pavement-blocking tourist cunts.

Chelsea. The view west at sunset is amazing and I love the old cars in the Cruise. I am biased as I used to live near there (Battersea, in case you think I am a millionairess oryx who could afford to live on Cheyne Walk or summat :D).

Southwark Bridge gets my vote too, cos it's on my commute and has dedicated bike lanes :)
Southwark Bridge doesn't really go anywhere you would want to be though. I've never understood it. What are you supposed to do when you get to the north side? And you can't get on to it from the north side either. It's a bit redundant. No wonder they used to close it for the feast on the bridge thing.

Last edited:
Lambeth.

I have a real soft spot for Waterloo, nice views, it feels very 'London' etc ... but actually Lambeth is a nicer bridge

Southwark Bridge doesn't really go anywhere you would want to be though. I've never understood it. What are you supposed to do when you get to the north side? And you can't get on to it from the north side either. It's a bit redundant. No wonder they used to close it for the feast on the bridge thing.
You go straight over the junction on a bicycle and go into the City :)

Lambeth is really interesting - stick your head over the sides and you will see some lovely little detailing on it ( this was covered in a thread somewhere).
Lambeth03.jpg

I think those bits of sculpture around the London County Council coat of arms on each pier are invisible to the naked eye from both the bridge or a boat and can only get picked up with a telephoto lens!

Crossing the river the other night - on the train out of Victoria - the bridges to the west - Albert etc looked stunning

Albert Bridge, beautiful, delicate, not very pratical.
To be fair it is fairly practical for those of us who don't drive lorries, vans or Chelsea tractors. If only we could exclude heavy vehicles without the need of those narrow bollards, it'd be the perfect bridge.

Waterloo and London are my usual crossings, but used Southwark last night and was rather taken by it's understated charm. If only there were more reason for me to use it :facepalm: :D

Back
Top Bottom