Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Restaurant London Bridge area

Wander down Tooley St to the Ivy at Tower Bridge. Still good. And actually reasonably priced. London Bridge itself is a bit shit really, loads of traffic and lost tourists.
I like the London Bridge area - plenty of decent pubs - easy to get to and from, plenty of restaurants, Borough Market, it's on the river . Tower Bridge seems more remote and not as much goes on, apart from the bridge going up and down occasionally.

I was going to say 'there's also that splendid medieval banquet place!' but Google suggests it's permanently shut. 😢

(Yes, yes I did have a terrible terrible work Christmas party there. Drinking extremely heavily was literally the only way to get through it. At least my Spanish boss forked out for decent wine as he reckoned the stuff provided with the Christmas party deal was undrinkable.)
I went there with the Baroness once. Amazing fun.

I was sat next to a quite bawdy middle aged American a few years older than me who decided to match me pint for pint.

His missus was like "Oh Al, no..."

I've never had so many high fives in my life. He could barely walk at the end. Fun times.

(tbh, the food and drink was not amazing but functional, it's meant to be a medieval banquet so what are you expecting, but the entertainment and the atmosphere was top notch).

Not so much Tower Bridge, there are loads of restaurants around Shad Thames. I was thinking more of that newish stretch along the river between the bridge and the Belfast.
I used to basically live at that end of Tooley St hence I know a bit about the area. Was a bit of a wasteland even then but this is over 20 years ago so might have changed (although sounds like it hasn’t).

I walk along the South Bank Thames path from London Bridge to Canada Water via Shad Thames most days.

Butlers Wharf Chop House which overlooks Tower Bridge from the non-touristy side is nice and they seems to do a very nice steak and chips.

Champor Champor in Weston Street is a really nice Thai/Malay restaurant. Been there several times.

I used to go there every so often as it was near where a friend lived and they liked to have their birthday dos etc there - I have looked at their menu recently and it seems to be more kind of regular Thai/Malay food these days than it used to be 20 or so years back, when (unless they do specials that aren't on the menu - which it has to be said offers a wide variety of dishes - on the website) they used to offer some very adventurous dishes - I've eaten stuff like sesame frogs' legs, also a starter involving peacock (which unsurprisingly tastes like pheasant!) there way back in the mists of time.

Quite fond memories of the place.
(Of course I can't eat there now because I developed a stupid peanut allergy, and like a lot of SE Asian restaurants they prepare peanut based dishes in the kitchen :( )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom