Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best Posh Chocolate !

Its ethical but not particularly delicate; the bars are very chunky so I wouldn't class it as posh. Very edible.

Oh yeah it's like a bloody doorstop - big chunky bars.
I think for some gifts you know it has to be elegant and little chocolates in a box with a ribbon, for others a big wedge of expensive ethical chocolate fits the bill just fine :D

The only one of Tony's that I've tried is the salted caramel bar and I'm sad to say I was disappointed, neither salted nor caramel alas. Other opinions are available 😃

Mrs B got me a couple of bars of this local bean to bar chocolate for my stocking and they are fabulous. Everything in the shop is currently shown as sold out but I guess she'll be restocking in the new year... Great stuff anyway

Mrs B got me a couple of bars of this local bean to bar chocolate for my stocking and they are fabulous. Everything in the shop is currently shown as sold out but I guess she'll be restocking in the new year... Great stuff anyway

Loved because it took me here, literally on my doorstep as well. Who knew.

Nb. I'll never forget an elderly client we had in that road. Whenever we went to help help, it's as if every bone in her body creaked......shudders.

Again, I don't think Tony's is particularly good quality but it is supposed to be ethical. Out now
IMG_20221230_123127_hdr.jpg
Warning: they are a mixture of dark, milk and white chocolate with a variety of fillings. 😓

Last edited:
Wonder how many shoppers help themselves to the odd one of those without paying while they're in the supermarket?

Can you tell us what they're like ?
As good as it gets. Milky, creamy, smooth, melt in the mouth chocolate, expensive, tasty, superb quality.....
Problem 1 you buy it by the lump or a measured weight. 2 it's top price. 3. It's so very, very morish. 4 which one to choose ( whether you like white, milk or plain ). This is a problem because I always buy 2 or 3 different types.
It's a good thickness that won't break your teeth like Tony's. It has a nice snap to it.

Last edited:
Anyone tried Tony's? Always seems pricey when I've seen it in the shops. Curious as to whether it's worth it or not.
Not worth it imo, I was gifted a mixed box set, wasn't impressed with any of the flavours and tbh the way the bar is presented messed with my ocd, I certainly wouldn't buy it, not a patch on quality chocolates that I do like. Hotel Chocolat is good as are most Waitrose chocs I've tried.

Reactions: izz
Not worth it imo, I was gifted a mixed box set, wasn't impressed with any of the flavours and tbh the way the bar is presented messed with my ocd, I certainly wouldn't buy it, not a patch on quality chocolates that I do like. Hotel Chocolat is good as are most Waitrose chocs I've tried.
What price ethical goods? I would purchase Tony's every time before buying anything by Nestle or Cadburys.

Thoroughly concur, don't think Tony's deserves it's reputation. Some of the Moser Roth chocolate from Aldi is just wonderful.

What price ethical goods? I would purchase Tony's every time before buying anything by Nestle or Cadburys.
I haven't bought Nestle or Cadburys muck this century, and a good bit before that. That's not chocolate! Hotel Chocolat used to be fairly ethical, not sure about now. Agree with izz about the Aldi chocolate too. I don't buy cheap muck :)

Recommendations please ! I like to give chox to everyone at Christmas and was a-pondering ordering some from a makery near us however they cost out at £2 per truffle, which although these things are 'lishous, are wasted on the utter peasants I'm related to. Yes I'm aware of Thorntons, Lily O'Brien's etc and yes I do know that a slab of Galaxy is probably better value but I like to treat my nearest and dearest occasionally. (I'm also aware that Moser Roth from Aldi is often as good as some really expensive chocolate but hate to see their little faces fall when I hand it over. As I said, they're utter peasants :D)

So ! What posh chocolate would make you happy ?
Hotel Chocolat gets my vote.

Reactions: izz
It's abominably expensive (£3.50 for a not-slab-like, rather slender bar), but hits all my buttons (not too sweet, lots of nut-based fillings, REALLY tastes of proper cocoa solids). You literally can't eat more than 3 or 4 squares of this before you feel like you've had a full chocolate pudding like a mousse or cake - but that is just fine by me:
huchoc.jpg

(I don't work for them, not a paid partnership etc etc)

Back
Top Bottom