Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best French Fillims

Tarantino is a big Godard fan, hence his production company being called A Band Apart.

Yeah, I knew that. I was simply saying that the scene I posted strikes me as a more obvious pastiche/homage of the dance scene in bande a part than the one in Pulp Fiction. No biggie

I thought you might like to recommend that Nest of Spies film :D

oh! I'd quite forgotten about their frenchness. I have seen 3, count 'em, 3 french films. OSS117: Cairo Nest of Spies, OSS117: Lost in Rio. They have the delectable Jean Dujardin in. Nom. I have also seen Blue is the warmest colour. I also enjoyed this, but afterwards I heard the actresses weren't that happy about the relentlessness of the sex scenes and I can see their point.

Is no one really going to suggest "Ne le dis à personne" (Tell No One)?

It's got the wickedest dog accompanying a French Dustin Hoffman lookalike.

The Tit & the Moon (La Teta Y la Luna). A spanish/French film directed by Bigas Luna.:D

A nine year old boy gets obsessed by breasts when his mother breast feeds his new brother.

Well funny. Especially the farting bloke on a motorbike circus act.

La Rafle
Baise Moi
Le gamin au vélo
Au revoir les enfants
Le Cercle rouge
L'arm‚e du crime
Tomboy

I have also seen Blue is the warmest colour. I also enjoyed this, but afterwards I heard the actresses weren't that happy about the relentlessness of the sex scenes and I can see their point.

I haven't seen it yet but I read an interview with one of the actresses where she was saying just that.

I second The Class (Entre les Murs), and will add in In The House (Dans La Maison).

Also, they're TV series rather than films, but Les Revenants and Engrenages are very good too.

I second The Class (Entre les Murs), and will add in In The House (Dans La Maison).

Also, they're TV series rather than films, but Les Revenants and Engrenages are very good too.

Must be due a new season of Engrenages soon :)

I have also seen Blue is the warmest colour. I also enjoyed this, but afterwards I heard the actresses weren't that happy about the relentlessness of the sex scenes and I can see their point.

i thought it was interesting that they filmed it chronologically, so as the filming proceeds they're getting more and more jaded which fits the character/story development really well. imho they could have left out the sex scenes and i'd have found it just as intense.

(afaik the relentlessness applied to every scene, not just the sex ones. they had to do *everything* 20, 60, 100 times over... )

Haven't read the whole thread, but.....

La grande illusion

Un chien andalou

A bout de souffle

Merci la vie

Au revoir les enfants

L'atalante

Entr'acte

Diva

Les enfants du paradis

Sans toit ni loi

Nikita

Trop belle pour toi

Les amants

Un chapeau de paille italenne

Milou en mai

Last edited:
Alphaville
Playtime
Rififi
Les Yeux Sans Visage/Eyes Without a Face
Irma Vep
La Planète Sauvage/Fantastic Planet
Ma Vie En Rose (1997)[EDIT: Franco-Belgian, so in the purist sense not 'french' as in made in france]
La Cité des Enfants Perdu/The City Of Lost Children- Jean- Pierre Jeunet, 1990
Orfée (Orpheus) –Jean Cocteau
Céline and Julie Go Boating
Quest For Fire
Cleo From 5 to 7, The Gleaners and I (both by Agnès Varda)
Zero du Conduite, L'Atalante (both by Jean Vigo)
Diva
La Haine
Être et avoir
Le Cercle Rouge
Les rivières pourpres/The Crimson Rivers (*yeah it's super cheesy nonsense but that's the whole point)
Fat Girl
Au Revoir, Les Enfants (1987)
L'Argent
8 Women
The Butterfly
Army of Shadows/ L’armée des Ombres
Le Pont du Nord
Water Lilies (EDIT: actually I'd choose 'Tomboy' over this, less depressing)

^These are not in any way meant as a list of 'the best' films IMHO, just films I've seen and enjoyed (well, more or less).

Last edited:
Forgot all that pretentious wank over the last three pages, La Grande Vadrouille is the best film ever.
It's got de Funès and Terry-Thomas in it, what more do you want?

Couscous - arab family opening a restaurant in a small town. Great.

Un prophete - prison drama, dark n awesome, def popular too.

La Gloire De Mon Pere - a classic, nuff said.

Back
Top Bottom