Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

I was "negative" about CC earlier in the thread - his Funk & Soul show is of no interest to me.
But his afternoon show has been really good (in the context of a Radio 6 schedule that is getting too pop). The Trunk of Punk is the highlight of my day.

It's definitely getting poppier, I wonder is it a deliberate "lift the spirits" playlist. And if I hear Moni in the Middle once more....

I was "negative" about CC earlier in the thread - his Funk & Soul show is of no interest to me.
But his afternoon show has been really good (in the context of a Radio 6 schedule that is getting too pop). The Trunk of Punk is the highlight of my day.
To some extent I agree. But I imagine him having to do the Trunk Of Punk through gritted teeth, so wedded is he to Funk.

That's probably unfair and none of these DJs are stuck in musical silos anymore than the rest of us.

To some extent I agree. But I imagine him having to do the Trunk Of Punk through gritted teeth, so wedded is he to Funk.

That's probably unfair and none of these DJs are stuck in musical silos anymore than the rest of us.

I'm not so sure about that, I've heard him talk about some of the old punk stuff like it wasn't scripted and having just had a quick squizz at wiki, he was in with Teardop Explodes/Julian Cope and the Liverpool scene so I would say he was at least aware/on the fringes of the punk scene when he was a teenager so his tastes are probably a bit more catholic than we may give him credit for.

Hahaha, yeah, MAH is bad for that as well. Twitter is going crazy telling me how amazing I am.

And if I had a pound for every time she says "special" I would have 12 million quid.

She's terrible at interviewing as well. I've noticed a few times when the interviewee has responded in an unexpected way and she's just gone "hmmmmm" like she doesn't know how to respond. :D I used to like her and stick up for her, but I now get the annoyances other people have found. Her taste in music is generally decent, though.

I hate Craig Charles. "Here's some funk for you then I'll read out all the messages I'm receiving telling me how great I am".

But then, Lamacq's not better "I'm now going play Shivering Sand by Mega City Four, and then, in way of a change I'll hit you with The Family Cat's Tom Verlaine". I think Paris Angel's All On You is as far as he ever strays from "Indie".
I was never keen on Craig Charles however have really been enjoying him standing in for Lamacq, especially the 'trunk of punk'.

I'm not so sure about that, I've heard him talk about some of the old punk stuff like it wasn't scripted and having just had a quick squizz at wiki, he was in with Teardop Explodes/Julian Cope and the Liverpool scene so I would say he was at least aware/on the fringes of the punk scene when he was a teenager so his tastes are probably a bit more catholic than we may give him credit for.
‘In with’ wouldn’t be the term I’d use. He was definitely part of the scene, but his most notable interaction with JC/TE was jumping on their stage just before they started and reading off a poem that was rather rude about Mr Cope. He doesn’t get a mention in Head On.

‘In with’ wouldn’t be the term I’d use. He was definitely part of the scene, but his most notable interaction with JC/TE was jumping on their stage just before they started and reading off a poem that was rather rude about Mr Cope. He doesn’t get a mention in Head On.

You clearly know a lot more about it than me so I'll go with that as my knowledge was scraped off wiki. :D

I believe this be the poem:

He’s really into the music scene

No-one’s been but he’s been
He saw The Pistols at The 100 Club
He fucked the girlfriend of a UK Sub
‘Cos he’s really into the music scene

He told me Strummer was a queer
Said he bought Siouxsie a beer
When he mentions Ian Curtis, well, he always sheds a tear

He was a punk before ‘76
He said he lived with Crass – they were a shower of pricks
Roger Eagle wanted him to manage Eric’s

He taught Pete Wylie all he knows
Used to manage The Bunnymen and The Teardrop Explodes
He’ll tell you everything because he knows loads

“What’s his name?” I hear you shout
I can’t say; he’ll sue if word gets out
But I’ll tell you something that’ll give you hope
It begins with ‘Julian’ and ends in ‘Cope’

I never said it was a good poem...

I believe this be the poem:

He’s really into the music scene

No-one’s been but he’s been
He saw The Pistols at The 100 Club
He fucked the girlfriend of a UK Sub

He told me Strummer was a queer
Said he bought Siouxsie a beer
When he mentions Ian Curtis, well, he always sheds a tear

He was a punk before ‘76
He said he lived with Crass – they were a shower of pricks
Roger Eagle wanted him to manage Eric’s

He taught Pete Wylie all he knows
Used to manage The Bunnymen and The Teardrop Explodes
He’ll tell you everything because he knows loads

“What’s his name?” I hear you shout
I can’t say; he’ll sue if word gets out
But I’ll tell you something that’ll give you hope
It begins with ‘Julian’ and ends in ‘Cope’

I never said it was a good poem...

Definitely demonstrates a familiarity with punk though.

(I quite like it but I'm very unsophisticated when it comes to poetry :oops: ).

was really enjoying that they let Charles finish his run with the full 11 minute Don't Leave Me This Way.
but not, abruptly cut off the end to go to a repeat of an old Cillian Murphy show from last year. Why?

Back
Top Bottom