Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

she crashes intros and outros like this is 90s radio 1. 'Check how perfect my timing is that I'll stop talking as soon as the vocal comes in'

cunts

Totally her show this week was all about Springteen and the E Street Band. Not the worst music ever made but its a bit daytime Radio 2.

She is a bit shit, one of the few DJs on 6 Music you honestly don't seem to learn anything from, due to them pedalling a mainstream mum/dad collection.

Yep loved Tom last week in the mornings.

I cannot abide Liz Kershaw. I have prob said before on this thread but she coles across to me as insincere & it being all about her. Her accent does not help. I would like to sponsor her not to say ‘my brother’ as she mentions him all the time. Today it took just 12 minutes before she mentioned him. I cringe at every interview she does.

I met her a couple of times over the years and she seemed decent in person. She did not mention her brother. Not a fan of her radio work.

I'd rather listen to Andy's documentaries on North Korea, if they're still on the BBC player, worth checking out.

5 or 10 minutes of how Nick Clegg is a great bloke and was never truly hated, why the lib-dems were never unpopular and why it was right for them to go into an aggressive extreme-austerity coalition with the tories on the seriously unfunny shaun keaveny show just now. With his 'committed blairite' mate. Jesus, may get some music at some point in the next hour. I bet that'll be great as well.

Elitist and annoying radio station. I feel like they are so constantly conscious of whether they come across 'cool' or not. Why is Elbow mentioned so many times daily? There are so many other amazing up and coming bands that I thought this station was supposed to support?

Elitist and annoying radio station. I feel like they are so constantly conscious of whether they come across 'cool' or not. Why is Elbow mentioned so many times daily? There are so many other amazing up and coming bands that I thought this station was supposed to support?

Annoying? Yeah, sometimes (depending on the dj). But how is it elitist?

Dunno. They play some shit that definitely isn't cool (and is more than a bit shit). Shed Seven? Noel Gallagher? But most of what they play is good. Yeah, Orang Utan there's a playlist, but there's still plenty of space for presenters to play what they like and loads of interesting music new and old.

Dunno. They play some shit that definitely isn't cool (and is more than a bit shit). Shed Seven? Noel Gallagher? But most of what they play is good. Yeah, Orang Utan there's a playlist, but there's still plenty of space for presenters to play what they like and loads of interesting music new and old.
still pretty mainstream - lots of old, established artists

Nothing wrong with that. I like to hear some familiar stuff. A lot of those established artists wouldn't be played on other stations now, and sometimes it's sessions or more obscure tracks.
I only want to hear new stuff (or old stuff I've not heard). If I want to hear old stuff, I'll play it myself.

How do they know what you've heard or not? Anyway, keeps me and many other good people happy.
they don't, which is why I only bother with the Freak Zone, on the rare occasions I remember to tune in. I'm more of a Rinse listener, though never listen to their shows live.

Safe, establishment-sanctioned playlist?

I don't remember it being like that. Cerys played a wide range of sounds I'd not heard before. I discovered Nils Frahm thanks to Mary Anne Hobbs.

As for "safe, establishment-sanctioned" output, that's not entirely apt. 6 (along with Radio 3) play a decent amount of "world" music which is new to most ears. Worth searching out.

Personally I prefer a mix of old and new. 6 music has played loads of old stuff I missed at the time. And there is lot much better than hearing a classic track you havent heard in years.

Personally I prefer a mix of old and new. 6 music has played loads of old stuff I missed at the time. And there is lot much better than hearing a classic track you havent heard in years.

and, as if to prove Spod's point, R&M have just played Puppet Life, by Punishment of Luxury.

My main 6 music gripe is that since Bruce Dickinson left the network neither 6 nor Radio 2 offer anything for rock and metal fans. Yes I accept we are uncool,(mostly) white working class and (mostly) live outside London but we pay the licence fee too.

It's ironic that old skool Radio One used to provide 5 hours a week of such output (with Tommy Vance on Fridays and Alan Freeman on Saturdays) and the current BBC pretty much doesn't cater for us at all.

My main 6 music gripe is that since Bruce Dickinson left the network neither 6 nor Radio 2 offer anything for rock and metal fans. Yes I accept we are uncool,(mostly) white working class and (mostly) live outside London but we pay the licence fee too.

It's ironic that old skool Radio One used to provide 5 hours a week of such output (with Tommy Vance on Fridays and Alan Freeman on Saturdays) and the current BBC pretty much doesn't cater for us at all.
So it's a race issue?

Don't radio one still have some sort of rock show?

Don't radio one still have some sort of rock show?

Yes they do, on a Sunday night. But it's very much aimed (as it should be) at younger metal fans. The average Maiden, or Sabbath, or GNR or Metallica fan is well outside the Radio One demographic these days!!!

I've started listening more this year as I finally got a decent digital radio. It's got me listening to Kurt Vile, King Krule, Songhoy Blues, Courtney Barnett, Thundercat and Cherry Glazer amongst others. There is a mainstream playlist but there's room around it to hear other stuff. Iggy Pop's show nearly always throws up something great.

Back
Top Bottom