Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

I had to turn it off as I couldn't bear Mary Anne Hobbs relentless fawning over Kojey Radical. He's a moderately interesting new talent. She seems to think he's the biggest star in the known universe. It was painful to listen to.

I had to turn it off as I couldn't bear Mary Anne Hobbs relentless fawning over Kojey Radical. He's a moderately interesting new talent. She seems to think he's the biggest star in the known universe. It was painful to listen to.

worst thing about that was someone with exactly the same name as me text in to say how amazing he was; my colleagues don't believe it wasn't me

Why don't people just play their own music instead of listening to people talk over rubbish records? At least with stations like Rinse you'll here pretty much all new music and you won't get much chat to ruin the vibe.

6 Music generally doesn't play rubbish. Listening to 6 still seems to be the best way to discover new music and hear some interesting old stuff. Mind you, I don't understand why folks listen to a station they apparently don't rate much, as in this thread...

6 Music generally doesn't play rubbish. Listening to 6 still seems to be the best way to discover new music and hear some interesting old stuff. Mind you, I don't understand why folks listen to a station they apparently don't rate much, as in this thread...

Indeed. I wish they'd play a bit more "world" music but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Maybe because they're interested in the listening to new music on an advert free live radio station and there's not much else to choose from?

Tom Robinson played Alabama 3 as one of his tracks tonight (theme was support bands who blew the main act away, Leeds 96, support act to the Levellers. I was there, it was true :D )

Anyhoo, he followed it up with an email from someone in Brixton who had sent in a tribute to Errol T. He gave it its space and was very sincere. Nice one Tom. RIP Errol.

editor

Radcliffe and maconie.. I can't muster an opinion. I don't mind them, mainly because I don't listen to them often.

I'd rather listen to an all day marathon of them than half an hour of either Giles Pieterson or Mary Anne hobbes.

Yes yes yes, all (ok, most) of the above!

It's generally how i find out about new music, so almost essential.. Computer algorithms can only get you so far, but a human touch is needed really, hence 6music.. but the endless talking.. on and on, more than 5 minutes rambling often.. Interviews about music aren't music, and that's the best of it.. i do have some pet hates with the presenters, but we don't have time for that.. ..but the ones 1 do like (maconie, laverne), still blather endlessly on their daytime shows.

And another thing... the playlist is usually great, but why the song of the week obsession (it's currently Shark smile). It ruins decent songs for the listener. How do you get to be that track? It must be enforced from above somehow, i really can't imagine Stuart Maconie wanting to play the same track everyday. So who is it that pushes 1 track per week, and could they kindly fuck off.

There is hope people;
I've found if i turn on the radio on straight away, and then pause it and do my morning schedule, when i come to listen i have half hour saved up, meaning i can fast forward through the bull! It works for me. No more tedious Matt Everitt bollocks, no more listening to Lauren talk to some random about their intelligence music (?), and i can skip their current obsession track. Bliss.

The heavy and medium rotation of particular new songs is a default of radio stations and has been since pop radio started in the 50s. Probably because back then there just wasn't enough music to fill up the day. Not sure what the reason is these days.

I would've thought it was a collaboration between the record companies and radio stations, with the record companies paying to push a track to no.1.. That doesn't work for 6music though, unless it's corrupt and someone is taking a back hander.. but this is the bbc, surely not..

Yeh 6Music is my means of discovering new music too. This means having to wade through a lot of stuff I dont like if your listening on catch up, all good you can spin on. They seem to have a collective bunch of records that they push at any one time. Although there is obvious DJ discretion, I think some play-list tracks are enforced as Huey was openly slagging off some of the stuff he was playing on saturday.

I only listen ocasionally when back in the uk now.

Omg omg omg great as it is mostly, sometimes it is bloody unbearable. Last stuff I thought was amazing was some American rock and roller telling greaaaat stories. And the David Bowie interviews before he died.

Half the time it's...

Radcliffe and Maconie being their usual boring selves talking about 'nowt like'

Lauren Laverne being boring and stuff.

Cerys Mathews being boring and talking about herself. And Swansea. And herself. Zzzzzz. Her voice is nice tbf.

Wil Beasts played 7 fucking times in 24 hours. THE SAME FUCKING SONG! Jesus.

There is no digital radio in Spain for some godforsaken reason, which makes me want to listen. It's good for the BBC and stuff but meh.

Oh their weekly Spotify playlist is grand though!

BBC today revealed that Ms Laverne's salary is in the £350-399k per annum bracket, making her the best paid R6 jock, ahead of Mark Radcliffe on £200-249k and Shaun Keaveny on £150-199k. Blimey!

This news blew me away.
That's an awful lot of money really.
I know - I'd have probably guessed she was on about 200k, and I'm surprised she makes so much more than Keavney too, who I'd have thought would've made about the same as her given they're both 5 days a week regular presenters.

As another comparison, she's also on way more than Laura Keunssberg too (about 200k) who I know isn't very well liked by many, but her job as political editor is much more demanding and stressful that Laverne's is.

I will never be able to listen to 6 music the same again. maybe never.
I've just found out i'm substantially poorer than my radio buddies.
I listen every now and then & feel a common ground with Keavney and Lauren, they play cool music & into cool things.
But i just feel like i've been duped by these radio gaga's.

its radio paradise on DAB forever more

BBC today revealed that Ms Laverne's salary is in the £350-399k per annum bracket, making her the best paid R6 jock, ahead of Mark Radcliffe on £200-249k and Shaun Keaveny on £150-199k. Blimey!

My favourite of those three is Keaveny by quite some margin, though I know many others hate him. Wonder how they arrive at those salary differences? :hmm:

My favourite of those three is Keaveny by quite some margin, though I know many others hate him. Wonder how they arrive at those salary differences? :hmm:
Listener numbers might have something to do with it - certainly they are a factor with Chris Evans salary on R2 - tho I find it hard to believe there can be a great difference between Keaveney and Laverne in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom