Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

That's comedy gold compared to the other day's show where they were experimenting presenting in foreign accents

I actually quite enjoy it, considering I've been forced to endure Radio One for the last year. Plus Keaveny read one of my tweets out this morning, which made me secretly quite happy (sad I know).

I really hope editor's not listening to 6 this morning. Lauren's spent half the morning discussing in depth Apple's announcements yesterday..

Well, she has got an iPad and an iPhone. She's said so many times.
Happily, I wasn't listening to today's promo special.

Errrr but didn't like George Lamb? :hmm:

Lamb knowingly wound people up, took the piss out of interviewees, played ragga and did air horns ironically. He was the opposite of everything else that was on 6 Music during the day while he was on. Personally I found that quite entertaining - a hell of a lot more than two middle aged blokes laughing at their own crap jokes.

But I accept that he wasn't for everyone.

I want to like Keaveny. Just wish his jokes were funny. Same with Laverne, I used to have a soft spot for her but it's diminishing to microscopic proportions with every frothy, inane piece of banter she lets spill from her pretty lips. I wish she'd just play good music and shut up, but maybe that's just me being old fashioned.

Roll on the weekends, and the evenings too to a certain extent. But that's when I'm out doing stuff, I want my radio top quality all through the day because I absolutely hate my job, is that too much to ask? :mad:

I'm lazy. That's where you come in, I'll check that station tomorrow - ta.

I'm stuck now Danny Baker's off BBC London, there's a gap in my afternoon needs filling.

I'm lazy. That's where you come in, I'll check that station tomorrow - ta.

I'm stuck now Danny Baker's off BBC London, there's a gap in my afternoon needs filling.

"John in the Morning" on KEXP is pretty cheery. It's pretty weird listening to it with eight hours time difference. He's on 2pm UK time (6am in Seattle).
I quite like listening to the night time jocks in the morning (my time)

On the subject of streaming stations - from the US East Coast WFMU is also worth a listen. It's listener-supported, non-commercial radio station. Although there was one presenter who seemed to giggle annoyingly a little too much; from my experience, you're more likely to hear really long pauses by the presenters :D The only show I can remember the name of listening to is the *ahem* Music To Spazz By with Dave The Spazz.

On the subject of streaming stations - from the US East Coast WFMU is also worth a listen. It's listener-supported, non-commercial radio station. Although there was one presenter who seemed to giggle annoyingly a little too much; from my experience, you're more likely to hear really long pauses by the presenters :D The only show I can remember the name of listening to is the *ahem* Music To Spazz By with Dave The Spazz.

And you can stream it in iTunes. When KEXP has a dodgy moment I can just click onto WFMU:D

I'll take a look at that. I listen to KCRW's music shows in Los Angeles, do you ever listen to Morning Becomes Eclectic? The 24 hour station ''Eclectic 24" is pretty good too online.

Seems that comes up as a pop-up player rather than an iTunes stream. I sometimes have so many windows open in my browser for work I much prefer iTunes streams. Looks good though.

And, YES, 6 Music would get more listeners if they gagged the DJs.

Meanwhile in the past half hour KEXP have played Cold Specks, Helios, The Shackeltons and other fine stuff while the night time DJ gets on with her emailing, coming on air every fifteen minutes or so to recap the last four tunes.

The thing with American radio though, good as many stations are, the time zone is different, the news bulletins are less relevant, there's just a lack of all the things which make 6 Music good for listening to in the UK, if only they'd sort out their DJs.

Yep KEXP has been a nice change this afternoon. I'll keep coming back to 6 just for it's BBC warmth and familiarity, but it's nice to have options of an afternoon. Thanks for the tip twistedAM.

Well remember to tweet this regularly, the word must know
word_1.jpg

That bloody ad for punk they keep playing. It sounds so fake, like something from Stella Street... what's with the silly voices?

oh god, where the two voices are competeing over wether new youk or lobdon had the most influence on the nascent genre. And you want new york to win because the bloke defending london has a bad parody of a w/c london accent circa 1979. Sort it out.

ive had a week of Absolute fucking Radio due to an office rebellion over maconie/radcliffe. Even Laverne sounds like heaven right now.

I turned it on, heard that utter dickhead Shaun whatever his name is talking over an entire track of the Damned and turned it off again..

Give Absolute radio its due, it does mean you don't need to buy 'greatest dadrock eva' compilation discs when you fancy some 80s power balladry

Back
Top Bottom