Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC - Owen Jones

I quite like him tbh. Unlike Laurie Penny & co I think he has a genuine commitment to the politics, it's not just a fashion statement. And unlike them he does talk about class.

Although I disagree with him on some pretty important issues (not least the Labour Party) I reckon the media is better for having Owen Jones in it. I think it's worse for having Laurie Penny in it, she makes the left look fucking stupid.

Also, when I asked him to speak at a PD meeting he laughed - and stopped around for a chat and he's a nice fella - so that may be clouding my judgement a little bit. But I reckon Penny would have made out I was victimising female writers or being a homophobe or summat.

I quite like him tbh. Unlike Laurie Penny & co I think he has a genuine commitment to the politics, it's not just a fashion statement. And unlike them he does talk about class.

Although I disagree with him on some pretty important issues (not least the Labour Party) I reckon the media is better for having Owen Jones in it. I think it's worse for having Laurie Penny in it, she makes the left look fucking stupid.

yep completely agree about the differences in political commitment and substance between the two, jones also seems to have a genuine sense of humility about him and has far more self awareness

compare and contrast

Owen Jones

Laurie Penny

Not a fair comparason IMO. Surely better to find a vid in which LP shares her political ideas? Sales pitches aren't known for being full of meaningful analysis and humility.

Owen Jones could do with a bit more gravitas. He looks like he isn't old enough to shave. Maybe he should think about dyeing his hair grey.

Owen Jones could do with a bit more gravitas. He looks like he isn't old enough to shave. Maybe he should think about dyeing his hair grey.

I think he plays up to the being young thing, else he would've opted for some designer stubble by now or at least asked the barber to stop giving him the haircut of a 12 year old boy.

A lot of the criticism aimed at him uses his age/the fact he looks young as if it undermines his opinions. Very few of those who took this stance after bbcqt the other night actually engaged with or countered a single argument he made. I think that says a lot.

I think he plays up to the being young thing, else he would've opted for some designer stubble by now or at least asked the barber to stop giving him the haircut of a 12 year old boy.

Perhaps you have some ideas about how he should present himself?

How does a 'younger' person not be 'younger'?

Doesn't bother me to be honest, but I get the impression that he's deliberately cultivating a young look.

Or maybe he just looks young?

If he opted for a suit or was partial to the 'hipster' style I can just imagine how much stick he'd get. I think his age is being used against him in a way that is unfair. What I dislike about that is that the narrative seems to be there is no place for young/er people in politics, especially those who look young and don't try to hide it.

I can't watch that video of Laurie Penny, every time I hear her I want to shit in her mouth.

lol.[/quote]

He's no Rude Kid :cool:

rude-kid.jpg

Surely better to find a vid in which LP shares her political ideas?

She gives it her best shot here

Not a fair comparason IMO. Surely better to find a vid in which LP shares her political ideas? Sales pitches aren't known for being full of meaningful analysis and humility.

this is (partly) the point of the comparison, she is empty, she has very little in the way of political ideas, let alone an ability or capacity to articulate them, yet somehow she has successfully anointed herself as the spokesperson for a new 'radical' generation

She's a patina of dish-soap on the dirt of the modern protest movement. At least Jonesy's a dishcloth.

[/pseuds corner]

the real, human face of the radical student youth, eyes blazing from laptop glare, and revolutionary zeal at the insult of the background 'norm' music growing ever stronger.

wow have to say i found it quite heartening watching that owen jones video, might scour youtube to catch the rest of it. good seeing these scumbags and complacent loonbins being challenged...

Back
Top Bottom