Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC Leaders Debate

The Tory hasn't mentioned the climate/environment once until 45 mins in when an explicit question on the subject was put.

I observe, and this is worth keeping an eye on because it will escalate as they all try to outdo each other, that Anas Sarwar, Willie Rennie and Douglas Ross are all trying to out-Scottishness Nicola Sturgeon by dropping their -gs off the end of -ing words, peppering their speeches with glottal stops that they've previously never used in their lives etc. By the time the election comes round it'll be like watching Begbie and Spud talking about 'endless divisive referendums'.

Douglas Ross answering the host question of 'why can't you have a recovery and a referendum?' with a sad headshake and 'you just can't, Colin' made me and Mr W explode laughing. Instant household meme 👍

Douglas Ross actually managing to die on his arse even worse than last time there.

The only real question is

"Given the certainty of d'Hondt returning a SNP minority or majority government supporting independence in May, how are you going to react to that over the course of the next Parliament?"

Comedy value aside, it was fairly dreadful. I think Nicola was easily better than her four opponents, and Patrick Harvie (whether you agree with Green policies or not) certainly doesn't across as any worse than the lads from the more established parties. I'm quite happy about giving my list vote to the Greens still.

Have the Nationalists explained their detailed post-independence economic, security, defence, diplomatic and constitutional plans yet?

Presumably the broad outlines, kinda "worst case/best case", of the economic outlook would be relevant when deciding which way to vote?

We should probably all get a vote if we live in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom