Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barclays/TFL cycle hire scheme in London

I only just found this out but apparently you can't use the same credit card for general credit card hiring, which you bike key is linked to for releasing bikes on your TFL bike hire account? What complete nonsense is this?

How I found this out? I had a nightmare experience trying to hire a bike the other night.

For some very weird and unknown reason my key was refusing to release any bikes, anywhere. I even had the guy who was redistributing bikes on hand at the time say it was very odd that the release light just kept flashing amber and never turning green (the card was fine and enabled for auto top up btw). So I decided to just use the credit card to get the bike out instead which now I know didn't work because it was linked to my key :facepalm: - but there is not one message on the screen which tells you this AT ALL. It just says 'cannot process this transaction' or something equally vague along those lines. So there's me, putting my card in about three times, going through countless pointless menu options accepting usage terms and such like, and repeatedly getting this same message. It was infuriating.

So then I had to use another credit card - and anyone who has done this must know what a complete faff it is. First of all, it doesn't take American Express :facepalm: so I had to use yet another card (my VISA bank card) - and you have to put your card in and put in your PIN and remove it twice to get the piece of paper which has the code to unlock the bike (it doesn't actually tell that you have to do this btw), and follow countless touchscreen menus (the UI is very un-user friendly), and rather annoyingly the touchscreen was being temperamental in deciding when it wanted to accept one of my button pushes. Totally whack.

I called TFL the next day and said my key was not working. They checked and said they couldn't see that there was any problem with the key or the card it was linked to and that it should be fine. But then to top if off, on their system it registered that the bike HAD been removed, and I was charged £1 - and that despite the fact the light clearly NEVER went green to I was definitely NOT able to remove the bike, and I had the guy from the bike redistribution stood right next to me confirming there was a problem. So now I've been charged TWICE for one usage of a bike which took me over ten minutes to release due to all the credit card faffing - and only then I was able to do it because I had three cards on me. The whole system up until then was fine. But my experience the other night was complete and utter fail on the part of TFL and I will be pursuing them for a refund on my £1 which I was unfairly charged when I was unable to take the damn bike.

Perhaps they are only really interested in catering for rush hour commuting.

They re-distribute during and after rush hour so that people can use the stations during the day, if it was just rush hour commutes, they would just leave them there and they'd all go back the same route in the evening.

They'd rather it wasn't used for rush hour commuting, because it so massively distorts the distribution. It's intended for short, irregular journeys.

Well they're putting in bikes in Shepherds Bush next to Westfield in the Spring and also the scheme is being rolled out through Hammersmith and Fulham, Lambeth, Wandsworth and Kensington and Chelsea in 2013.

Boris Johnson was quoted earlier today saying "as long as the money is there and the popularity remains, there is nothing to stop us going further north, south, east and west"

Link

They re-distribute during and after rush hour so that people can use the stations during the day, if it was just rush hour commutes, they would just leave them there and they'd all go back the same route in the evening.

They didn't seem to have redistributed at all after the rush hour last night. The whole of Soho/Bllomsbury/Covent Garden seemingly completely devoid of bikes.

Well they're putting in bikes in Shepherds Bush next to Westfield in the Spring and also the scheme is being rolled out through Hammersmith and Fulham, Lambeth, Wandsworth and Kensington and Chelsea in 2013.

Boris Johnson was quoted earlier today saying "as long as the money is there and the popularity remains, there is nothing to stop us going further north, south, east and west"

Link

And Mr Johnson says the expansion, announced on the scheme's first anniversary, will help ease some of the congestion that drives west Londoners mad on a daily basis.

That'll be west London where Boris abandoned the congestion charging scheme, then.

Link

Maybe it will reduce this bill

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...aff-spend-6-6million-on-cabs-115875-23491012/ :eek:

I've been using these bikes the last few days. Very handy for getting about. Though they're heavy, slow and unwieldy.

I kinda feel restricted in traffic. Normally I would use pavements, jump red lights, etc. but I feel that because im riding a bike with a big number on which is linked to my credit card. I cant break normal traffic rules.

Has anyone been prosecuted for bike traffic offences caught on cctv?

Maybe I just need to relax into it.

Cycling in London is soooo different to Brighton where the Bike is King :D

Its weird... waiting in traffic. Boris bikes are slow plus you cant even stand up to pedal wtf is that about?

they are terrible bikes tbf. My key fob stopped working months ago and I haven't felt the need to replace it.

I've been using these bikes the last few days. Very handy for getting about. Though they're heavy, slow and unwieldy.

I kinda feel restricted in traffic. Normally I would use pavements, jump red lights, etc. but I feel that because im riding a bike with a big number on which is linked to my credit card. I cant break normal traffic rules.

Has anyone been prosecuted for bike traffic offences caught on cctv?

Maybe I just need to relax into it.

Cycling in London is soooo different to Brighton where the Bike is King :D

I think anyone who commits traffic offences on a bike should be punished. I almost got hit by some tool jumping a red light while I was on a green.

I dropped it too. I stopped at some lights, went to put my hat on and of course cos its a 'ladies' bike it just toppled over :facepalm:

Kennington too far north for you? don't get me wrong, I agree the lack of boris bikes further south is frustrating, but IMHO they'd be horrible to use on some of the hills.

They're geared to 30"! What's the point of that if not to go up hills?

They're geared to 30"! What's the point of that if not to go up hills?
You have taken the huge weight of those bikes into account, haven't you? BTW one use for it would be a quick start after stopping at traffic lights.

You have taken the huge weight of those bikes into account, haven't you? BTW one use for it would be a quick start after stopping at traffic lights.
They're only perhaps 10kg heavier than a sensible bike, which is what 15% of average rider+bike weight?

I never have any trouble getting away from lights on 72" :D

They're only perhaps 10kg heavier than a sensible bike, which is what 15% of average rider+bike weight?

I never have any trouble getting away from lights on 72" :D
You're more or less in reasonable condition for cycling - think out of shape office worker without your legs.

A wee bit heavy for long slopes then, maybe just about okay on shorter hills if you don't mind standing on the pedals and trying to sprint. Which I used to do on a Raleigh Wayfarer (approx 15kg). Just about doable but not pleasant.

You first with the heavier bike, ExtraRefined ;)

Kennington too far north for you? don't get me wrong, I agree the lack of boris bikes further south is frustrating, but IMHO they'd be horrible to use on some of the hills.

There aren't any hills between Kennington and Brixton, or Camberwell, or Peckham.

Back
Top Bottom