Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bangers chat

Last year I scrapped my 2004 Mondeo. At 100k miles, almost everything was shot. The exhaust had broken off, the high-drain electronics like seat heating had fried out, the electrical system had a persistent drain somewhere, and Lord! the rattling. Climate control was a distant memory. The sod is, the 2-litre engine, transmission, and interior comfort was still ticketty-boo. But by any measure it was a banger.

Yesterday, I took delivery of a new, second-hand, boy-on-a-budget motor from one of them there online selling companies that advertises on telly and on football ground stadiums. The entire experience was tip-top. Everything from the online details to the delivery operative was a full 5-star review from me. This is so far adrift from my expectation that I have a persistent headache.

I fear for the future of my cynicism!

:mad:

Yesterday, I took delivery of a new, second-hand, boy-on-a-budget motor from one of them there online selling companies that advertises on telly and on football ground stadiums.

I did think about that, but didn't fancy the idea of buying a car without having seen it and given it at least a brief test drive (there have been one or two cars i've looked at and not even got as far as starting the engine because i couldn't get a seat / steering wheel position that worked - think i'm slightly shorter from arse to knee and slightly longer from knee to ankle than standard...)

hmm how much was the boy on a budget motor

as anything over 5 grand is hardly a banger :D
Almost double that. :(

Honestly, second-hand prices are mental these days. I went without a car for 8 months for that very reason.

But I'm very happy with my purchase (so far), and I aim to use it throughout my impending retirement. Maybe I can have my ashes buried in it?

Limejuice - poor, but handy with a wrench.

I did think about that, but didn't fancy the idea of buying a car without having seen it and given it at least a brief test drive (there have been one or two cars i've looked at and not even got as far as starting the engine because i couldn't get a seat / steering wheel position that worked - think i'm slightly shorter from arse to knee and slightly longer from knee to ankle than standard...)
I know what you mean.

But I just got so pissed off trailing around car sales places, being given the bum's rush for poverty (ish).

You can actually get some good deals from the Kazoo, Cinch, Motorway type outfits if you're careful. They say they won't accept offers, but they do drop prices by £250 a time if the car doesn't sell after a few months. I phoned up on a long-standing un-sold car and got a grand off. The car that rocked up was better than I expected. Lucky, perhaps.

That said, believe no-one in the motor business, including me.

:)

know the feeling lime ..

had 6 grand to spend last time for a new banger on the hip spent 6 weeks looking at shit
and then stumbled over a petrol one of my old car for more than i paid for the first one so took it

was almost down the full finance route

know the feeling lime ..

had 6 grand to spend last time for a new banger on the hip spent 6 weeks looking at shit
and then stumbled over a petrol one of my old car for more than i paid for the first one so took it

was almost down the full finance route
Good choice. At one point in my career I worked for a HP company. Best avoided, honestly.

Reactions: Ax^
I put my (non) smoking barge (Mercedes E430 estate, 2002) in for an inspection health check to see if needed any work/was terminal/was dangerous..

Seems like a fairly long list of issues. Need to chat with the garage to prioritise and see if it’s worth keeping. It’s still got six months MOT and drives like a Rolls-Royce I’d like to extend its life but head rather than heart will have to prevail.

Lots of rust

Hi there,

As promised, please find below the list following our inspection of the above vehicle today. I have also included a link at the very end to WeTransfer which has two videos that Martin discussed; these are too big to attach and send via email. You can see the underside of the vehicle and the extent of the corrosion.

• Oil leak from oil filter housing
  • Gearbox oil cooler pipes heavily corroded
  • Nearside front fog light inoperative
  • Offside rear brake bulb holder burnt out
  • Nearside and offside rear tyres worn across and close to legal limit
  • Offside rear and nearside rear inner wheel arches heavily corroded and require weld repair
  • Exhaust hanger broken
  • Offside rear boot floor - multiple holes and heavily corroded
  • Nearside rear boot floor - two areas require welding due to heavy corrosion
  • Battery tray corroded and holed - water present inside

Any mechanics in the house😁👍

I’m having a chat Monday to see what the guy thinks moneywise

• Wow
Reactions: Ax^
I put my (non) smoking barge (Mercedes E430 estate, 2002) in for an inspection health check to see if needed any work/was terminal/was dangerous..

Seems like a fairly long list of issues. Need to chat with the garage to prioritise and see if it’s worth keeping. It’s still got six months MOT and drives like a Rolls-Royce I’d like to extend its life but head rather than heart will have to prevail.

Lots of rust

Hi there,

As promised, please find below the list following our inspection of the above vehicle today. I have also included a link at the very end to WeTransfer which has two videos that Martin discussed; these are too big to attach and send via email. You can see the underside of the vehicle and the extent of the corrosion.

• Offside rear and nearside rear inner wheel arches heavily corroded and require weld repair
  • Exhaust hanger broken

Who said 500 quid 👍 It was 500 quid for the oil leak and odds and sods. Welding still to come.

just put some new tyres on the rears.

I’m guessing this is an ongoing labour of love. But she cost fuck all and she’s a lot of metal.

MOT it this year and see how she goes

My GTD has just had the screen crack, new screen £750, thank god for the insurance, cost reduced to £160. Now I want to put 4 tyres on it, I’ve just had new discs and callipers on the back. Also, and I’m pissed off about this, the automatic headlights have stopped working since the new screen was fitted. I have to turn them on by hand!

It's the starter motor this time on the van. There's a bloke here trying to fix it. He comes highly recommended, and has a T5 himself, so knows his way around. I need another couple of years out of this campervan.

Fingers crossed.
Bollox. It's not just the connections to the starter motor, it's the starter motor. That can't be fixed on the drive.

Really fcking pissed off right now.

It's just the hassle sorting this stuff out.

Lots of rust

Hi there,

• Exhaust hanger broken

That's all fine. Keep on trucking. A bit of welding and a couple of tyres come the MOT

won't ask but hey if you love the thing and have it why not spend it

summer just around the corner :cool:
I'd been holding off booking festival tickets, as I didn't want to tempt fate till I knew I had it back and working.

Festival tickets for May and June now booked!

Bang bang a new banger has arrived!!

20240430_184733.jpg

2000 Lexus Is200 with 224,000 on the clock. Automatic. 6 months MOT. Rear wheel drive. Owned by the previous owner for a good 15 years and driven all over Europe. Even got three keys and a private plate! And now mine for the bargain sum of £450!!!

Bodywork is tatty at the front with lots of stone chips. CD player doesn't work. Sunroof doesn't open either. And it definitely needs rear disks in the near future, it wasn't super happy braking at speed. Plus no cambelt done since 2007, over 120,000 miles ago...

I just drove it home for 2 hours and basically everyhing is fine and it drives great! Really lovely little saloon to chuck around the corners. It definitely needs the above issues sorted plus some body work and a serious clean as it is mouldy and disgusting inside. It's had welding done on one side but needs the other side done too really. I'm planning on selling my current car and keeping this one as a bit of a project... but obviously don't want to put too much money into such an old high-mileage banger. I figure I can always get my money back scrapping it and selling the private plate so can't go wrong! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom