Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Trains into Victoria + Victoria line chat

Having just read this whole thread it makes me feel a bit sad. Seeing "Sea Passage 1 Hour". And lists of foreign destinations. Thinking about getting on a sleeper train at Victoria and waking up in Paris.

From the perspective of November 2020, the prospect of going abroad seem somewhat far off, and in less than 2 months it's fucking brexit.

Having just read this whole thread it makes me feel a bit sad. Seeing "Sea Passage 1 Hour". And lists of foreign destinations. Thinking about getting on a sleeper train at Victoria and waking up in Paris.

From the perspective of November 2020, the prospect of going abroad seem somewhat far off, and in less than 2 months it's fucking brexit.

You couldn't get on a train in London and wake up in Paris though, you had to get the train to the coast, fuck about with UK immigration pricks (cos long before EU FOM), get on a shitty boat that made most people feel sick, fuck about with French immigration pricks, then trundle along to Paris, would have taken fucking ages. Even after Brexit Paris will still be under 2 1/2 hours from St Pancras. The past can go fuck itself, quite frankly. Except for the hats, things were better when everyone wore hats.

You couldn't get on a train in London and wake up in Paris though, you had to get the train to the coast, fuck about with UK immigration pricks (cos long before EU FOM), get on a shitty boat that made most people feel sick, fuck about with French immigration pricks, then trundle along to Paris, would have taken fucking ages. Even after Brexit Paris will still be under 2 1/2 hours from St Pancras. The past can go fuck itself, quite frankly. Except for the hats, things were better when everyone wore hats.
agree in general but supposedly cross country eurorailing is fucked compared to what it was

Apparently if you went 1st class they did the passport checks at Victoria and you didn't have to get off the train at the ferry like everyone else did.

However, I'm not ancient enough ever to have done the trip, so can't speak from personal experience.

2 and a half hours on the Eurostar is unquestionably more convenient - but the Night Ferry must have been a great journey to do.

Some bang up to date exciting Trains Into Victoria news

A major four-year package of work to modernise 1980s track and signalling on the lines into London Victoria station is about to begin.

The upgrades being carried out by Network Rail will improve reliability on the network, helping even more passenger and freight trains arrive at their destinations on time.

This phase of work being carried out between London Victoria, Clapham Junction and Balham, and the West London Lines from Clapham to Shepherds Bush includes numerous improvements such as:

• Multimillion-pound investment in signalling, track, civils, power systems and telecoms
  • 93 new modern LED signals
  • 17 signal gantries replaced with new easier maintained structures
  • 3 new power supply points for the signalling and points heating equipment
  • 186 new axle counters (train detection equipment)
  • 200,000 metres of new signalling, telecoms and power supply cable
  • 8 key junctions and 50 points renewed to achieve greater track reliability and minimise disruption
  • Re-control to the Clapham and Balham areas from the 1970s Victoria Area Signalling Centre to the state-of-the-art Three Bridges Rail Operating Centre
The work will get fully underway this month and will continue until after Christmas 2022.

Another interesting building around there is this thing
now
Safestore Self Storage Battersea Ingate
o.jpg

Not the best photo... its massive...i wonder what it used to be...

heh, I was just pondering that yesterday as my train went past.

I took Southern from Havant to Brighton and back last week and both grains were on time :cool:

Overall - in the UK with a reduced timetable and hardly anyone travelling compared to pre 2020 , the national punctuality levels have been touching 95% - and on some days even higher. Obviously local problems arise - but overall very good. In my view - Southern always "tried"

Is Southern Rail still fucking shit? Do they at least run some trains on time now?
As an occasional leisure user rather than regular commuter, when service delays become pretty inconsequential on the whole, Southern has been pretty good ime, certainly when going to Brighton to see friends. Amazingly cheap fares if you can be flexible with days & time of travel.

For anyone interested, Flying Scotsman will be at Victoria today, two departures, one at 1046 and one at 1819. It's be doing a loop through the Surrey hills via Guildford in each case.

For anyone interested, Flying Scotsman will be at Victoria today, two departures, one at 1046 and one at 1819. It's be doing a loop through the Surrey hills via Guildford in each case.

Hmm, Do you know its route? Is it going through Richmond & Twickenham?

Looks like Isleworth would be the closest (on the outward legs).

On the return legs it'll come through Herne Hill & Brixton

Looks like Isleworth would be the closest (on the outward legs).

On the return legs it'll come through Herne Hill & Brixton

Oh that's a shame that they're taking the Hounslow loop otherwise it would have gone directly past my window.

Back
Top Bottom