Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Athens Greece: Cops murder a 16 year old

I would also like to show you the following photo

img098.jpg

This device was thrown to a lot of people by the DELTA police forces (police on motorbikes). They were rubbing it and throwing it, and it was exploding causing a pretty big noise and a small fire. It is far more dangerous than the grenades that they are throwing (like the one that burnt me) because they great a bigger fire when exploding.

As I told you at my previous post today, when the police started spraying with chemicals the whole square, people had to flee to different directions in order to avoid the attack. Some of them went down to Mitropoleous str on the other side of the square (not the side of the parliament building but directly opposite that) and fled down to Monastiraki. Monastiraki is an area with small alleys and pedestrian roads where there is a number of tavernas and small cafes where a lot of tourists also visit. If any of you have visited central Athens for holidays it is possible that you may have passed from there.

In this small narrow pedestrian area then, the gathered crowd was attacked with no apparent reason by DELTA police forces (on motorbikes). You can understand the panic when a group of people is attacked by motorbikes in such a narrow area.

A video of this can be seen here:
Also some photos here : http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=1314134

Also some info on Barging_Mad's video. The guy that you see with no top, is a known fascist called Apostolis Sukaras. He is a syndicalist of Ethel (public transport of Athens) and a known fascist, a lot of years ago he owned a gym at Gyzi area in Athens where a lot of fascists were going for body building. Officially the police is now saying that they helped him together with his friends because he was under attack by anarchists and other demonstrators, so they were trying to protect him and not cooperate with him. The truth is that he did get attacked, together with 20 more fascists that appeared at a street near the parliament square, but not yesterday but the DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY. Here are some photos of that incident : http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=1313044
So the police are lying in order to cover up the story and on purpose they try to mix the 2 incidents.

Some more videos : http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=1314433

Now a new gathering is starting at the Parliament square as we speak.

THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING

Just in order to inform you, this is the demo of PAME, PAME is a syndicalist body, front of the KKE, (Greek Communist Party). They reject to be at the square and the KKE general secretary mrs Papariga has officially stated that the square movement as it happens is wrong, because it rejects all political parties and movements. This is their demo, they passed from the square but moved on ..

This morning the police decided to completely empty the parliament square of Athens. For months now hundreds of people had camped there, and together with the people that were gathering at the square every single day, were demonstrating against this regime and the austerity measures.

On about 4:30 this morning in a coordinated operation, Riot police together with workers who work for the city of Athens stormed in the square and emptied it completely, loading the tents and everything else to trucks. Riot police (MAT) pushed the gathered people (about 200 at that time) out of the square and arrested a number of them. The people who had camped there are now accused of illegal camping and pollution of the environment.

Some videos of that police operation can be seen here : http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=1323112#1323138

The truth is that less people were in the square daily during the last weeks so that made that police operation possible. It was obvious for days now that they would decide on such an operation as they want the square empty by September when the most people return back to work etc after summer holidays and they would possibly head for the square again.

No matter the fact that the square is now emptied a gathering will take place today on 18:00 as it is normally happening and the open assembly of the square will start on 20:00.

NOTHING IS OVER YET, THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING .

I have found this thread useful and inciteful. Could possibly do with a title change though. I don't think its about a 16 yr old boy any more and if it is I won't name him as he is on course to be as notorious throughout EUrope as Gavrielo Princip

Yes it is true, this is a quite old thread that started when Alexis was murdered on December 2008 and turned to a "greek news thread" after a point. If the mods want they can change the title of the thread to something more relevant, although after nearly 3 years now I believe that the most people here recognize it with this name.

Give it 10-15 years and his death will I think mark the beginning of the great. Grecian "fuck you won't. do you what you tell me" that every thing is cascading from.

19 - 20 OCTOBER. GENERAL STRIKE

For 2 days, tomorrow and the day after, a general strike has been organized in all public and private sector. Demos and gatherings will take place on both days, in order to protest against the IMF, the austerity measures and the new labor law that they want to push forward.

EVERY ONE TO THE STREETS.

Hello loggin in with my mobile phone
. Hundreds of thousands of people here we cannot start the demo because all roads are packed. More info later

some videos here : http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=1343505

also photos : http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=1343835
http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=1343855
http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=1343536

I have not checked the links that teqniq gave, some photos may be the same.

It is impossible to give a prediction of the number of the people that were on the roads of Athens yesterday and outside the parliament square. Some are talking about 200,000 some about 500,000 some about 1 million (!!) people.... I believe that the 1 million is an exaggeration but we are definitely talking about hundreds of thousands. For nearly 3 hours people were passing from parliament square and demonstrating, all the square and the nearby roads were completely packed and it was impossible for so many people to be in that area....

On the beginning of the demo there were the syndicalists of the Greek Communist Party (PAME) and then all the rest of the demo was following. When PAME reached the parliament square they formed a cordon and started PROTECTING THE PARLIAMENT from the demonstrators... If you could see them they were like riot police turning their back towards the building and facing the demonstration. They stayed there for quite a while but when the square got really packed and the situation started getting more serious they left, together with their demo and left their position for the RIOT police ....

As I have written and on other posts in this thread, the whole attitude of the public towards the demo and the police etc has changed significantly. I understand that the mass media are talking about some hooligan anarchists that started the riots etc, but the reality is that the majority of the demo supported the riots even if they were not all taking part on them. You can hear the people booing on every chemical grenade that is sent by the police, and cheering on every petrol bomb or whatever gets thrown at them. You can see middle aged people, women and men of all ages basically, verbally confronting the police. The public is angry, VERY ANGRY and to be honest, I cannot predict exactly how this situation will end.

Oh something else to note, there were some english speaking riot police officers yesterday. They were dressed with the same uniforms as the greek police, but they were not involved in any riots, just observing. I do not know if they were actually british, but they were not greek for sure.

I am off again for the streets there is another demo today.

Oh something else to note, there were some english speaking riot police officers yesterday. They were dressed with the same uniforms as the greek police, but they were not involved in any riots, just observing. I do not know if they were actually british, but they were not greek for sure.

I am off again for the streets there is another demo today.

That's most interesting

A Vice report of all things (including two people I know who are definetly not anarchos) report widespread sympathy for the anarchos etc.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/athens-greece-riots-protests-anarchy-syntagma-square

Good luck today!

PAME is again there, "surrounding" the parliament, basically GUARDING IT. ....

After an hour in a packed Syntagma Square, a line of communists holding sticks formed to protect the pedestrian protesters from the police and anarchist battles. After about 45 minutes, they’d sodded off. “You wanna watch out, the Stalinists have left the square, and now there is no organisation, just violent madness,” warned some earnest Athenian...[/quote}

Just finished a phonecall with a medic at Syntagma, many injured including a broken neck.. Most of the injured claim they were injured by PAME members. Reports of PAME handing protestors to the police. Currently the protest is surrounded by a ring of riot police.

Stay safe Dimitris.

edit..

Back
Top Bottom