Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assange to face extradition

My point is that those defending Assange staying away from Sweden need to bring forward something, otherwise its carte blanche for all movements abroad with men in them that the US government doesn't like, being able to bat away accusations of sexual assault and rape as agent women being used by CIA partisans.

I think you need to read it again belboid.
done that, its a restatement of known facts. Admirably briefly put, but still just a re-statement. Shit man, it even starts: 'Just to restate'

My point is that those defending Assange staying away from Sweden need to bring forward something, otherwise its carte blanche for all movements abroad with men in them that the US government doesn't like, being able to bat away accusations of sexual assault and rape as agent women being used by CIA partisans.
this is a good point, and it is indeed why any defense of Assange leaves a somewhat unpleasant taste in the mouth. i would say that there is some clear, circumstantial, evidence in Assanges favour. Leading members of the US state had just said how they wanted him tried for aiding and abetting the enemy, there were direct and current accusations and threats against him. It was all remarkably convenient for them.

None of which means Assange shouldn't face questioning. Justice must be done for all. I simply believe that the most practicable way for that to happen would be for Sweden to question Assange in the embassy, and for them to give the strongest possible statement that they will not extradite him onwards for any political crime related to wikileaks.

Was good as my word and Googling round, found this pro-Assange site with a list of their problems with the prosecution and nary a sniff AFAICS: http://www.swedenversusassange.com/Prosecution.html
read this now, and it does make exactly the point I was making:

"It is highly irregular in Sweden for an international arrest warrant to be sought in relation to allegations of this kind, and for a preliminary investigation where there is no charge. The only recent example of Sweden issuing an INTERPOL Red Notice and The European Arrest Warrant for sexual offences involved a repeat-offending paedophile."

done that, its a restatement of known facts. Admirably briefly put, but still just a re-statement. Shit man, it even starts: 'Just to restate'

this is a good point, and it is indeed why any defense of Assange leaves a somewhat unpleasant taste in the mouth. i would say that there is some clear, circumstantial, evidence in Assanges favour. Leading members of the US state had just said how they wanted him tried for aiding and abetting the enemy, there were direct and current accusations and threats against him. It was all remarkably convenient for them.

None of which means Assange shouldn't face questioning. Justice must be done for all. I simply believe that the most practicable way for that to happen would be for Sweden to question Assange in the embassy, and for them to give the strongest possible statement that they will not extradite him onwards for any political crime related to wikileaks.
It's illegal for them do so! FFS

lol, and all this required was to get Assange into bed. Nothing particularly complex. Especially as they have probably spied on him for years and know what he's like.

so, it cant be a plot, because it didnt work??!! Wow, what a daft comment.
They know what he is like makes the set-up likely but you don't believe he might have a case to answer because of what he is like?

Your attitude is worrying.

It's illegal for them do so! FFS
Not to give the 'strongest possible statement' it isnt. Fucks sake, thats what they pay lawyers millions for, to find ways of meeting the letter of the law whilst bending its intent to what is needed at the time.

Not to give the 'strongest possible statement' it isnt. Fucks sake, thats what they pay lawyers millions for, to find ways of meeting the letter of the law whilst bending its intent to what is needed at the time.
I give up - you're entrenched.

They know what he is like makes the set-up likely but you don't believe he might have a case to answer because of what he is like?

you've just said it was 'likely' a set up.

No one has a case to answer because of 'what they are like' - they have a case to answer because of what they do

"It is highly irregular in Sweden for an international arrest warrant to be sought in relation to allegations of this kind, and for a preliminary investigation where there is no charge. The only recent example of Sweden issuing an INTERPOL Red Notice and The European Arrest Warrant for sexual offences involved a repeat-offending paedophile."
Wasn't aware the question was international warrants - certainly my point was that these charges for sexual offences weren't unprecedented, hence haven't elicited any surprise/outrage on that score in Sweden.
Pound to a penny any rarity of Interpol warrants is as much to do with few of presumably overwhelming Swedish accused fleeing such relatively minor charges.

10,000 red notices are issued a year, and a similar number of EAWs - i know someone personally who had to go and face charges due to one and who, unlike assange, was given no access to the coruts to challenge it

and it is not a preliminary investigation, they want to arrest him, this site is lying or misinformed, and simply spouting what assanges legal team have been putting out

I give up - you're entrenched.
and you arent?!

It would be perfectly possible to find a form of words that would satisfy all parties, if there were the will to do so - on both sides.

As it is, the Swedes, and the yanks, are happy for things to carry on as they are.

and you arent?!

It would be perfectly possible to find a form of words that would satisfy all parties, if there were the will to do so - on both sides.

As it is, the Swedes, and the yanks, are happy for things to carry on as they are.
You honestly think JA has any intention whatsoever of facing a Swedish court? Talk about wishful thinking.

10,000 red notices are issued a year, and a similar number of EAWs - i know someone personally who had to go and face charges due to one and who, unlike assange, was given no access to the coruts to challenge it

and it is not a preliminary investigation, they want to arrest him, this site is lying or misinformed, and simply spouting what assanges legal team have been putting out
Not from Sweden they arent, which is what the article says. And it is still a preliminary investigation, as it will remain until he is arrested.They cant move on until they have questioned him, which is why they issued the warrant.

You honestly think JA has any intention whatsoever of facing a Swedish court? Talk about wishful thinking.
Yes. Ultimately i think even he must know he will have to. Ecuador has already met with Labour bods to try and find a way out of the impasse.

Yes. Ultimately i think even he must know he will have to. Ecuador has already met with Labour bods to try and find a way out of the impasse.
OK. Thanks for ignoring my poor attempt at mocking you. It doesn't add anything and I should really stop it.

Not from Sweden they arent, which is what the article says. And it is still a preliminary investigation, as it will remain until he is arrested.They cant move on until they have questioned him, which is why they issued the warrant.
My other link says he's now at what would be the charged stage, just need him there in person to plead to continue the process.

they are ready to charge, they cant charge until he's arrested, at least bother to learn the sheeple laws

i give up as well, learnt long ago theres no point arguing with conspiracy theorists
You aren't really 'arguing' tho, are you? You're just stating and restating your personal belief. Whenever your points are demolished, you just ignore them and move swiftly on. Sounds a bit Jazzzy to me.

they are ready to charge, they cant charge until he's arrested, at least bother to learn the sheeple laws
lol, that was basically my point, dumbo! the article is technically absolutely correct, it is still a preliminary investigation because they cant physically arrest him. Thus, it cannot move onto the next stage. Which is what I said.

lol, that was basically my point, dumbo! the article is technically absolutely correct, it is still a preliminary investigation because they cant physically arrest him. Thus, it cannot move onto the next stage. Which is what I said.
But that stage is of being charged, as that's how Swedish law operates. They have no doubt he has a case to answer. So not a preliminary investigation.

But that stage is of being charged, as that's how Swedish law operates. They have no doubt he has a case to answer. So not a preliminary investigation.
But until he actually is arrested, it is in limbo. Yes, hey know they want to move onto the next stage, yes we all know they want to move onto the next stage, but, technically until they nick him, they cant.

I know its pedantic piffle, but that's the law for you.

in other words, the last time a sex offender hot-footed it out of sweden to avoid charges, exactly the same thing happened

But until he actually is arrested, it is in limbo. Yes, hey know they want to move onto the next stage, yes we all know they want to move onto the next stage, but, technically until they nick him, they cant.

I know its pedantic piffle, but that's the law for you.
I get that, but does strike me as a substantive difference between being at the stage of firm charges that procedurally require a "how do you plead" versus we just have some questions we want to clear up with you.

in other words, the last time a sex offender hot-footed it out of sweden to avoid charges, exactly the same thing happened
That isnt what it says at all. It says there has only been one EAW issued for (alleged) sex offences. And that that was issued for someone with significant previous for those crimes. That is a very different thing. It strongly implies (tho doesn't state explicitly, I'll grant you) that there were other people accused of sex offenses who did not have an EAW issued for them.

I get that, but does strike me as a substantive difference between being at the stage of firm charges that procedurally require a "how do you plead" versus we just have some questions we want to clear up with you.
I agree, I was just disagreeing with smokedouts claim that the article was wrong. It was technically absolutely correct.

you've just said it was 'likely' a set up.

No one has a case to answer because of 'what they are like' - they have a case to answer because of what they do
You said it was likely because of the way he is known to behave with women. You didn't say that this also makes it believable that he has a case to answer. In a country that cannot legally extradite him for political crimes including espionage.

Back
Top Bottom