Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assange to face extradition

In reality, the best opportunity for the United States for Assange to be extradited is whilst he is in the United Kingdom.

With an extradition order already upheld against him? Doesn't seem like such a fantastic opportunity to me.

The UK would quickly comply with any order to extradite him to the US. But it would be hard to extradite him from Sweden because they'd need the UK's permission..? Great argument.

Dunno if it's already been posted, but there's a good dispelling of the myths here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-myths-about-assange-extradition

Three: “Sweden should guarantee that there be no extradition to USA”
It would not be legally possible for Swedish government to give any guarantee about a future extradition, and nor would it have any binding effect on the Swedish legal system in the event of a future extradition request.

By asking for this 'guarantee', Assange is asking the impossible, as he probably knows. Under international law, all extradition requests have to be dealt with on their merits and in accordance with the applicable law; and any final word on an extradition would (quite properly) be with an independent Swedish court, and not the government giving the purported 'guarantee'

It should be posted at the top of each page. But even then, it's unlikely to seep into the consciousness of some of assange's more avid supporters.

It should be posted at the top of each page. But even then, it's unlikely to seep into the consciousness of some of assange's more avid supporters.

I must say that it is very persuasive. But I doubt that Assange himself would be easily persuaded by it.

The names and all the excruciating details have been out there for a very long time, sadly I read them all a long time before the Assange case became such a busy topic on u75. Long before the current phase of the Assange saga, some on the net were pouring all over the victims details, looking for 'evidence' that they were tools of power used to ensnare Assange, or simply bitter and vengeful.

Indeed some fresh attention is being given to the detail now on one of the other threads, though thankfully not along those lines.

Thats not the same as it being mentioned on uk tv, so Im not trying to excuse Murray at all.

But in terms of the impact on victims, its clear that even at the stage of police interviews, at least one of the women involved was already suffering from the media attention way back then. The damage was done a long time ago and one of the unpleasant aspects of Assange dragging the process out is that it prolongs the agony.

Galloway:
If he did these things, he's a rat. But the United States empire, the British empire, the imperial system that around the world is slaughtering human beings by the million, cutting their throats, starving them to death, leaving them to die of poverty and avoidable disease in their millions, is a much bigger rat, no? Imperialism is a much bigger rat than Julian Assange, no? So why would you want Assange to be delivered to the United States and silenced for ever, unless you were on the side of empire."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/aug/20/george-galloway-julian-assange-rape

Even though I've got some sympathy with the argument these charges are very convenient for the US, the logic here is stupid. Compared to the holocaust what's a few rapes here and there? :rolleyes::facepalm:

It's completely mad to suggest, as some people have, that people don't fuck each other when asleep out of some sort of political correctness bullshit. Madness.

i couldn't do that to somebody i was having a relationship with, because it would feel wrong and completely out of order if they were asleep and didn't know what was going on. Surely if you have sex with somebody you want them to be awake while you're doing it so that you both can enjoy it properly?

assuming the allegations are true they were very brave to come forward.

Back
Top Bottom